Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
Another question Wreck, is it possible to find out the print numbers of all Play.com's exclusives? I always assumed each one was limited to 4,000 but since that's been proved otherwise with Prometheus, I wondered if that was the case for other titles too.

I have a question why the effing' heck does FOX not release steelbooks in North America!?!@#$%^

Ooh! I got this one - word from Future Shop & Steelbook separately is that we'll see a Fox steel when hell freezes over.

Fox North America totally doesn't believe in steelbooks.

Don't know the reasoning behind it, but there you go... :(

Obviously Fox in Europe gets it (see play.com steelbooks)

Another question Wreck, is it possible to find out the print numbers of all Play.com's exclusives? I always assumed each one was limited to 4,000 but since that's been proved otherwise with Prometheus, I wondered if that was the case for other titles too.

I would use this general rule - most catalog releases will remain at 4,000 copies.

Except for Terminator which was around 5,000.

New releases might not be the same - as you mentioned, 8,000 run for Prometheus - it depends on the studio.

Some studios require a large run to secure the edition, but as you know, play understands the collector, so that's a hard line to walk (and bravo to them for attempting)

Reactions: snooloui
Is it possible we could get an update on the stock levels of some Play.com Steelbooks? For example The Incredible Hulk looked out of stock for a while yet we weren't told in advance. On other hand we were told Transformers was low on stock and yet it's still around.

We can certainly ask on members behalf - but it's variable - so while we _think_ it's going out of stock based on the projections, no one can tell for sure.

So I would take it as a warning that if we have the chance to tell you, that it will go out of stock, you should buy your copy if you haven't gotten one.

If it's low stock, I think it's a matter of when, not if, it will be sold out...unless of course they find a box somewhere in the warehouse. ;)

Reactions: steelbook95060
Wreck, how about HDN doing an Exclusive? I understand that the minimum run is 4k (which would be too many for HDN), but if 4k can then be sold on for £10-£15, why don't you just simply destroy (yep) 2k and sell the remainder for £20-£30 each? Members would go crazy to get hold of a HDN Exclusive with a 2k print run.

Make it exclusive to HDN Ninjas, and you'll also enjoy a huge rush to join up. Win win.

To be frank, this is not a problem with steelbook - because they are willing to help us, but it's getting studio approval. That's the stumbling block for any exclusive run - you have to get the studio to buy in.

This concludes my brief "stint" in helping out ask steelbook questions.

Back to your regularly scheduled Wreck-themed programming. :naughty:

To be frank, this is not a problem with steelbook - because they are willing to help us, but it's getting studio approval. That's the stumbling block for any exclusive run - you have to get the studio to buy in.

This concludes my brief "stint" in helping out ask steelbook questions.

Back to your regularly scheduled Wreck-themed programming. :naughty:

That's not what I have heard, they are pretty stubborn about the 4000 MOQ limit.

I had this idea about a HDN steelbook (as in no movie) that would feature some cool HDN artwork deboss/emboss etc. HDN could sell it to make some money for hosting etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not what I have heard, they are pretty stubborn about the 4000 MOQ limit.

You misunderstood what I said. Steelbook is willing to work with us on a steelbook, design, etc.

But we need to get studio approval to do one for a movie.

I didn't address quantity, but that is correct - 4,000 is what they have published as a guideline for anyone willing to do a steelbook run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another question about print runs; what is the print run of The Bourne Trilogy (Play.com Exclusive)? It's been second in their search results in terms of popularity pretty much since it was released but it hasn't sold out. Is the print 4,000 as normal or are we looking at higher numbers with this one?

How is it decided which title is chosen to be a PLAY steelbook?

I second that! Who decides?...

My advice for forthcoming release:
Mars Attacks
Galaxy Quest
Butterfly Effect
Small soldiers (Joe Dante)
Time Machine (Guy Pearce)
Inkheart

I second that! Who decides?...

My advice for forthcoming release:
Mars Attacks
Galaxy Quest
Butterfly Effect
Small soldiers (Joe Dante)
Time Machine (Guy Pearce)
Inkheart

The retailer and play.com decide what titles might be good steelbooks.

You can visit our feedback section to suggest titles or to comment on titles that already have threads.

We submit this section to retailers and studios for their review.

Hey Wreck,

just a quick question regarding the latest Play.com catalogue releases, are all of those limited to 4000? I know with some it's been confirmed, are the rest usually higher runs, or is it mostly just 4k?

Rule of thumb: if its catalog its 4k ... if it sells out fast, then think about bumping up order just depends - but that rarely happens. We're usually told if order is bumped and then we post about it in the thread. The thought is typically "Should we go another 1k?" from what I gather. So nothing to kill off its collectability .... Iron Man FutureShop was more than 4k ;)

Is it possible we could get an update on the stock levels of some Play.com Steelbooks? For example The Incredible Hulk looked out of stock for a while yet we weren't told in advance. On other hand we were told Transformers was low on stock and yet it's still around.

I cant keep asking for stock levels on a per steel basis ... so perhaps if you give me a list of a few (not all ;) ) then I can get some #s back.

Hi Wreck,

Are there any Plans for 20th Century Fox to bring out a Robocop Steelbook on Play.com following the very successful release of The Terminator.

Thanks

Did you guys ever have the magic 8 ball when growing up in the UK?

pMAT1-6593697enh-z6.jpg

I remember those when growing up here in the states ... perhaps we should ask it!

IMG_7299.JPG

Awww shucks ... :( Should we try again?

IMG_7132.JPG

:D w00t!

But alas, who can really trust a magic 8 ball? I mean I asked if this one girl would go out with me if I asked in the 7th grade and she said no after the 8ball said yes! :angry:

So I guess we'll have to wait and see. ;) And in all honesty I cant answer questions about what titles are coming until permission is given.

Hi Sir Wreck,
Any news on whether the upcoming Play.com Transformers Steelbook will be em/debossed or anything? I ask, but its hardly going to affect my order :hilarious:

Thanks in advance

I'll find out... I know at one point they were weighing their options.

Catalog 4k - Terminator 5k ... new releases are typically always more. If you have some requests on new release steel qty's just fire away and I'll see if they can share.

By using the magic 8 ball. ;)

Studios and Product Buyers of Retailers work together And just sometimes they ask little ol' me.

would it be possible to get a hi-def ninja exclusive steelbook release like blufans get
even a steelbook with the hi def logo on it would be great

also i would like to see play.com exclusives with a sticker, something like futureshop ,fnac and even hmv have, i think i would make their releases stand out a bit more and more collectable , just an idea!

No here in the UK we didn't have that daft eight ball thing - thankfully :hilarious:

A serious question though, is it possible that there will be more steelbook fan input into the artwork.
I realise that HDN or Play or anyone else can't decide it as it's the final say of the copyright owners but a few (loads really ;)) nudges saying that infer they will sell better with great artwork.

Hi Wreck, one question

why is it that some Steelbooks are so poor in quality compared to the norm, and I'm not talking about the lack of inside art or a printed back

I'm talking about scratches, paint chips, etc

For example, this applies to the BluFans Steelbooks so far, and to a lesser extent, the recent Warner wave in BestBuy USA

Are there actually different tiers in Steelbook pricing for the studios? where a lower/cheaper tier gives poor quality Steelbooks?

thank you

would it be possible to get a hi-def ninja exclusive steelbook release like blufans get

also i would like to see play.com exclusives with a sticker, something like futureshop ,fnac and even hmv have, i think i would make their releases stand out a bit more and more collectable , just an idea!

I agree, we should get a hi-def ninja exclusive like blufans. Though, a sticker of the logo would be better, because a steelbook release should be clean (logos, ratings, & other things make a steelbook look ugly IMHO). In the end it's up to the studios.

Reactions: Ricker

The future looks bright.

No here in the UK we didn't have that daft eight ball thing - thankfully :hilarious:

A serious question though, is it possible that there will be more steelbook fan input into the artwork.
I realise that HDN or Play or anyone else can't decide it as it's the final say of the copyright owners but a few (loads really ;)) nudges saying that infer they will sell better with great artwork.

Fan input in the art is probably going to come the way of either Play/HDN/Facebook ... Either studio polls on FB, or HDN and Play workign together in some sort. It's definitely been a long while since the last (at least it feels that way in terms of the steelbook world!) Terminator Steel. But we're itching for the next time HDN members will be able to get involved even if its just voting for inside art again.

Hi Wreck, one question

why is it that some Steelbooks are so poor in quality compared to the norm, and I'm not talking about the lack of inside art or a printed back

I'm talking about scratches, paint chips, etc

For example, this applies to the BluFans Steelbooks so far, and to a lesser extent, the recent Warner wave in BestBuy USA

Are there actually different tiers in Steelbook pricing for the studios? where a lower/cheaper tier gives poor quality Steelbooks?

thank you

No different tiers, studios/retailers have option to spec out the steelbook they want. Some go for more quality while others go cheap. With the WB wave being like the first BD wave here in the USA and given the timeframe on when they needed them by .... my GUESS is that they wanted a pretty cost efficient steelbook. I think the sales were pretty darn good, and they're pleased so hopefully the US market will grow in regards to them making more quality releases in regards to finishes etc. I think product buyers will become more confident ... but the question is will they be confident in regards to quality or quantity ;) - Give us quality steelbooks please!

As for blufans, 1k is the red flag ... and some member in the rio thread pretty much pin-pointed it. That's all I will say...

Last edited:
I cant keep asking for stock levels on a per steel basis ... so perhaps if you give me a list of a few (not all ;) ) then I can get some #s back.

The ones I'm mainly interested in knowing about are:

The Bourne Trilogy - it's been at the top of Play's search results in terms of popularity for ages, is this a glitch or did they print more than 4,000 and if so is there many left?

The Incredible Hulk - looked out of stock a few weeks ago.

Prometheus - a few weeks ago we were told it was at 75% so it must be close to being sold out now then?

Transformers - we were told that this was running low on stock along with Watchmen, whilst that went a while ago, this is still available and I was just wondering why this was the case.

Thanks