Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
Prometheus is matte finish with a slightly metallic element to it

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 AM ----------

The Bourne at the top of search is Bourne Legacy tradewide. Bourne Trilogy appears further down search. Definitely only 4k print run on the Trilogy

Prometheus getting close to OOS (less than 1k left)

Possibly few weeks left of Transformers stock.

To date the only 2 catalogue steels over 4k run were Pulp Fiction and Terminator at 5k each. The only others over 4k were new release blockbusters - Star Trek 15k - Terminator Sal. 15k - ROTPOTA 6k - and now Prometheus at 8k

X-Men First Class 5k and Ghost Protocol 5k

Last edited:
With next year being the 20th anniversary of Schindler's List, and the announcement that Universal will be releasing it on Blu Ray, is there any chance of Play doing a Steelbook version? The other big one I would love to see is Once Upon a Time in America. Either of those would sell like hotcakes!!

I'm not sure of you'll be able to she's any light on future play.com plans. But as a massive Bond fan I'm wanting to pick up the Bond 50 boxset, but would much rather see individual releases on steelbook. I know a thread was started to try and drum up interest when the goldeneye steel was announced. But wondered if you knew anymore on it? Or rather if there's anything to say. Thanks again.

I'm not sure of you'll be able to she's any light on future play.com plans. But as a massive Bond fan I'm wanting to pick up the Bond 50 boxset, but would much rather see individual releases on steelbook. I know a thread was started to try and drum up interest when the goldeneye steel was announced. But wondered if you knew anymore on it? Or rather if there's anything to say. Thanks again.

I would also like to know this too. I don't want to pay out for GoldenEye if the others aren't getting released. Equally I don't want to buy the regular boxset if all of the Bond films are going to be released.

Reactions: jpaserman
hi i have a question about play.com .

when i go to the steelbook section and sort them to best selling it have an other ranking when i just type the word "steelbook" in the search field and sort them... and if i click on the blu ray / preorder charts the ranking is diffrent again.

which one shows it the correct way? missed watchmen in the past because it wasnt shown me on high sellings so i bought other steels there where higher on the ranking first and there are still available while watchmen is sold out.

With next year being the 20th anniversary of Schindler's List, and the announcement that Universal will be releasing it on Blu Ray, is there any chance of Play doing a Steelbook version? The other big one I would love to see is Once Upon a Time in America. Either of those would sell like hotcakes!!

I'd buy both! Tho I think Schindler's List would do much better in sales. If the ET steelbook is successful then Schindler's List will see a steelbook, its just a matter of where in regards to how many Countries. And I'll def be pushing for it.

Have no info on the matter ; However I do got some cool pics when they were proposing a steelbook in NA for the new bond film. This was before it got the name change so this is pretty old and not even relevant news anymore. But they also had a mock of Quantum of Solace. Monday.......

I would also like to know this too. I don't want to pay out for GoldenEye if the others aren't getting released. Equally I don't want to buy the regular boxset if all of the Bond films are going to be released.

I'll see what I can drum up.....

Any news or hint about a Walking Dead Season 1 steelbook?

Nothing concrete yet ; but I did put it in their ears ... and from my personal opinion I'm pretty sure if the Season 2 steel does good (sales) we'll see Season 1.

hi i have a question about play.com .

when i go to the steelbook section and sort them to best selling it have an other ranking when i just type the word "steelbook" in the search field and sort them... and if i click on the blu ray / preorder charts the ranking is diffrent again.

which one shows it the correct way? missed watchmen in the past because it wasnt shown me on high sellings so i bought other steels there where higher on the ranking first and there are still available while watchmen is sold out.

Watchmen is releasing this month just check Play the few days around release if for some any reason anyone orders get cancelled then it'll pop back up for a short while. A week after release, then their as good as gone!

Wreck, do Scanavo have any plans to sell steelbook interiors separately? Specifically the 4 disc ones? I remember you saying it might be possible to get some after the Alien Anthology was announced. They'd be really handy for some conversions, like the Indy jumbo into a 4 disc slim G2, or the upcoming 3 disc Spider-Man trilogy steel into a 4 disc that can hold the extras as well.

I'm actually surprised that they haven't changed all releases with 2 or more discs into the 4 disc style case with the swing tray holders anyway, then they could just use the same cases and put in a 1 or 2 disc swing tray as needed, and sell the swing trays separately as well.

Hi Wreck,

First of all, this is such a great thread!

I'm new to everything Blu-Ray, having just started collecting them 2-3 weeks ago. At first I meant to just replace my whole collection of DVD with BR but then I've discovered some SBs and limited edition BR on the shelves of my local DVD shop and they're so pretty compare to the standard version and I felt like collecting them all even if they're the movies I didn't care about. I went home and did some research online and that led me to this place which have been amazing resource for a noob like me.:D

My question is, what is a better way for building up a decent BR collection? How did most people start? Should I started with my favourite movies or with the better looking steel? Should I start with the rarities (or the ones with such potential) or the bargains? I know once I have my own decent collection it'd be easier cos I'd only have to check the new releases but I have a long way to go before getting there.:p I've bought quite a few SBs but only of the movies I love but there're quite a few awesome looking SBs and limited editions of the movies I don't care much about but feel like I'd leave something behind not getting them.

Thanks in advance for your help. :emb:

Welcome to steelbook collecting Anis. My advice would be to simply buy what appeals to you. If you want to get hold of a title that is unobtainable in your own country, it's always handy to cherry pick a few of the more desirable steels for future trades. I advise you to think about Play's Zombieland, Battle Royale and Prometheus to begin with as potential Future (Shop) bargaining chips.

Wreck, Going back to the question about why The Bourne Legacy always appears high up in Play's Best Selling listing. Is that steelbook list based purely on steelbook sales, or is it combined with amaray sales of the same title?

Welcome to steelbook collecting Anis. My advice would be to simply buy what appeals to you. If you want to get hold of a title that is unobtainable in your own country, it's always handy to cherry pick a few of the more desirable steels for future trades. I advise you to think about Play's Zombieland, Battle Royale and Prometheus to begin with as potential Future (Shop) bargaining chips.

Thanks so much for the welcome and the answer Starling.

I see your point about getting hold of some potential source-after items. I live in Australia and I could have bought the steelcase version of Gladiator and TDK when they're still available in store (I didn't cos I only bought DVDs back then) and now they both go $100 and beyond on ebay!!EEK!

I'm tempted to get Play.com's Prometheus but it seems we're getting metal box version overhere so I'd love to see how it looks first.:D

Hi Wreck,

Sorry if this has been asked already.
I noticed Play.com Watchmen is OOS. Any news if this will have any emboss/debossing ??

Thanks great thread.

Wreck, do Scanavo have any plans to sell steelbook interiors separately? Specifically the 4 disc ones? I remember you saying it might be possible to get some after the Alien Anthology was announced. They'd be really handy for some conversions, like the Indy jumbo into a 4 disc slim G2, or the upcoming 3 disc Spider-Man trilogy steel into a 4 disc that can hold the extras as well.

I'm actually surprised that they haven't changed all releases with 2 or more discs into the 4 disc style case with the swing tray holders anyway, then they could just use the same cases and put in a 1 or 2 disc swing tray as needed, and sell the swing trays separately as well.

It sure would be cool if they did change so we could just add in swing trays at our leisure. As for getting interiors ... currently no. I was once told they were going to send me a bunch of interiors so I could dish out to people in need for damage purposes etc. Tho that employee has since left the company so don't know if that'll go down now.

Hi Wreck,

First of all, this is such a great thread!

I'm new to everything Blu-Ray, having just started collecting them 2-3 weeks ago. At first I meant to just replace my whole collection of DVD with BR but then I've discovered some SBs and limited edition BR on the shelves of my local DVD shop and they're so pretty compare to the standard version and I felt like collecting them all even if they're the movies I didn't care about. I went home and did some research online and that led me to this place which have been amazing resource for a noob like me.:D

My question is, what is a better way for building up a decent BR collection? How did most people start? Should I started with my favourite movies or with the better looking steel? Should I start with the rarities (or the ones with such potential) or the bargains? I know once I have my own decent collection it'd be easier cos I'd only have to check the new releases but I have a long way to go before getting there.:p I've bought quite a few SBs but only of the movies I love but there're quite a few awesome looking SBs and limited editions of the movies I don't care much about but feel like I'd leave something behind not getting them.

Thanks in advance for your help. :emb:

Depends on your budget and patience. If you are patient, you can double/triple up on some of the titles that come out that are "sure fire wins" and then trade later to obtain more steels in return. For instance a person could easily trade an Iron Man play now for about 3-4 non-rare steels. So there are ways to make smart purchases that allow a patient person to then build up a good collection in a more affordable manner.

With steels being released left and right in numerous Countries now I think the rule of thumb should be don't buy an ugly steel even if you want that movie in steelbook. If your a completest then sure get them all, if you're not then wait it out and you can get a better version from another Country eventually. I myself am glad I have waited on the Bourne movies ... as soon I will be able to get them all individually and English writing. That's an example.

---------- Post added at 10:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Hi Wreck,

Sorry if this has been asked already.
I noticed Play.com Watchmen is OOS. Any news if this will have any emboss/debossing ??

Thanks great thread.

I dont believe so, but I'd have to check ... the person in charge of this title is on a mini vacay tho.

Reactions: anis
HDN Stock Alert: Incredible Hulk less than 40 remain. ;)

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/...urce=0&searchtype=allproducts&urlrefer=search

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

ps. Yeah we'll have to wait for pics on Watchmen as many have started processing and the contact for that title is away for the entire week as well. My guess is we might see pics before hand.

Any chance you can use your 'powers' with the Oldboy steelbook? A choice/vote for inside art similar to how Terminator was done would be fantastic. As I mentioned in the Oldboy thread, the inside should really be from the iconic corridor hammer/fight scene. It would work so perfectly with Dae Su on the left holding the hammer and the stream of his opponents on the right.

Reactions: Man of Steel