Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
Hi @Wreck ,
Not sure this is a Steelbook (maybe a metal case?), but I came across this Batman Anthology collection down at my local junk store and I'm having a hard time finding any details online.
Got any ideas?

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: dfoles and Bruckle
Yeah its pretty neat, but looks like star metal pak ... I once head that with Rambo and another release (name escapes me at the mo') that they werent authorized by novobox who make the metalpaks (futurepaks etc) so idk what that really means .... if their design was stolen , or people in the factory were just making their own or what lol.

Kinda neat if a big batman fan ... but, most likely def a bootleg. Has Japanese on spine , but bottom back says in small lettering not for sale or rental outside USA/CA

Reactions: dfoles
I guess we can file this one under "no comment" lol :naughty:

Studio places order with Scanavo sales rep.

If its universal then sure they have idea how many copies they want to send to each region. ie. USA, CA, UK etc. Everything after happens at sales rep or distributor levels.

Reactions: SaberTooth
@Wreck. What kind of role does Scanavo plays when it comes to finish of steelbook. Do they just go by whatever retailer/studio tells them or is it upto Scanavo to decide the finish?

Think of it like Ice Cream. You can get vanilla, or you can get a different flavor ... or you can add sprinkles, butterfinger, chocolate chips etc. All the toppings have prices.

Scanavo can make recommendations no different then any other sales rep in any sales business, but at the end of the day its the client who is paying the bill and they make the choices.

@dfoles I have mini and 3ds case in hand. both very cool. any questions lmk

@Wreck, can you show us anything for the new 6-disc g2 slim? The scanovo website doesn't even show a 4 disc example (though we all know they are there).

Will it be like the g1 6-disc inside?
DVD_6disc.jpg

@Wreck, is it true that the glue blobs that hold the J-Card to the steelbook eventually harden, and will ruin the finish on the back of the steelbook- and therefore, you should remove your J-Cards before it is too late?!!

@Wreck, is it true that the glue blobs that hold the J-Card to the steelbook eventually harden, and will ruin the finish on the back of the steelbook- and therefore, you should remove your J-Cards before it is too late?!!
Even I can answer that, YES! Bought the Green Hornet steel and it had been sealed so long that the gel had hardened and when I opened it and pealed the harder gel off it took some of the gloss with it. It seeps into the paint and there is nothing you can do to stop it This type of gel will destroy any gloss steels if people leave them sealed for a few years. It was never meant to stay on there that length of time.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: C.C. 95
In my experience I've done it very slowly and pulled it off successfully. One time I Just took a lighter and warmed up the backside (so it softened it up) then took it off with ease. Whether or not it would have been one that would have peeled off some paint. idk.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: Bruckle and C.C. 95
@Wreck, have you ever heard of a "Scanbox steel edition"? Is that like pre Steelbook steelbooks?

Someone on reddit posted this and it looks like they may be steelbooks, maybe before Scanovo settled on the Steelbook name?

http://imgur.com/a/YG5xH

@dfoles well that is a booklet advertising those. I'm not savvy to that name but I doubt it was before SteelBook. Honestly it looks like back when everyone thought Passion of the Christ and Apocalypto were gonna get steels in France as it was that exact art too. They ultimately never got steels but had listings on Amazon France once as such. This was back in like 2009. Perhaps just a product that was supposed to come out but never saw the light of day? Or French division calling them something else? Who knows.

• Informative
@Wreck, have you ever heard of a "Scanbox steel edition"? Is that like pre Steelbook steelbooks?

Someone on reddit posted this and it looks like they may be steelbooks, maybe before Scanovo settled on the Steelbook name?

http://imgur.com/a/YG5xH
@dfoles
Scanbox is an entertainment company out of Copenhagen, Denmark. What you are seeing on reddit is simply a list of movies they have released (distributed) on the label. So a "Scanbox Steelbook" is like saying a "Nova Steelbook". I think they only did steelbooks on DVD and never made the leap to Blu ray Steelbooks.
Too bad, because some of their dvd steelbooks look cool. Here is a pic of their release of THE CROW:
crow_2_disc_steelbook.jpg

Here is where I found this one:
http://www.discshop.se/filmer/dvd/crow_2_disc_steelbook/P70141
I have seen others by Scanbox- I think they were mainly available in the Nordic regions.

Last edited: