Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
@Wreck

Hey man. Do Scanavo (or someone else you know) sell the plastic disc holders that are inside steelbooks separately? I've got steels where I've added the 3D disc but wanna swap out the inserts so I can covert it from a 1 disc holder to a 2 disc etc.
@jitstark
A whole pageful!
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...keywords=Cd+and+Dvd+clear+hub&tag=hidefnin-20
image.jpeg

Reactions: jitstark
@Wreck I got a question on reddit I don't have an answer for, figured you would be able to clear things up.

"I've been wanting to put a humidifier in my room for a while, but I'm worried that it'll cause my steelbooks to rust. My steelbooks are displayed on the wall and will be on the opposite side of the room from the humidifier. Should I worry about them rusting?"

Also, someone suggested steelbooks might be made from tin so they shouldn't rust. Can you speak to the actual type of metal used for steelbooks?

the steelbook is tinplate.

Tinplate: Why it doesn't rust. ... Rust is iron oxide, the corrosion product of iron when exposed to the oxygen in the air. Tin is not iron, so you cannot produce iron oxide from the corrosion of tin. Because the layer of tin on the surface of the steel prevents atmospheric oxygen and moisture from contacting the steel.

Tin resists corrosion from water, but can be attacked by acids and alkalis. I presume the latter is where we have seen some of those cases with paint flecks that appear to be rust and if any are showing true rust it must be some other reason like off spec product since the above is certain scientifically when on spec. *shrug*

Not sure what all metals are handled at these factories in which could cause those events. Its a rare anomaly tho as while I too have seen it; its not very often.

Different parts of the Country have different amounts of humidity in the air so if people aren't having this issue in a part of the Country where their humidity level is lower then what you would set your dehumidifier on anyways then I think that alone would bring reassurance. For example, Franky living in the desert in Arizona ....

Tinplate: Why it doesn't rust. ... Rust is iron oxide, the corrosion product of iron when exposed to the oxygen in the air. Tin is not iron, so you cannot produce iron oxide from the corrosion of tin. Because the layer of tin on the surface of the steel prevents atmospheric oxygen and moisture from contacting the steel.

Tin resists corrosion from water, but can be attacked by acids and alkalis. I presume the latter is where we have seen some of those cases with paint flecks that appear to be rust and if any are showing true rust it must be some other reason like off spec product since the above is certain scientifically when on spec. *shrug*

Not sure what all metals are handled at these factories in which could cause those events. Its a rare anomaly tho as while I too have seen it; its not very often.

Different parts of the Country have different amounts of humidity in the air so if people aren't having this issue in a part of the Country where their humidity level is lower then what you would set your dehumidifier on anyways then I think that alone would bring reassurance. For example, Franky living in the desert in Arizona ....

Thanks for the reply. Very informative. I actually got another set of rust related questions so if you don't mind:

A. What causes it? {param} The other is scratches and dents as they can get to the metal itself which starts rusting.

B. Is it just older steels? I have heard of g1's rusting but have never seen g2's rust. Even as I look through my game collection the ones sitting in plastic covers to prevent scratching (hardly airproof btw) don't have any rust to them.

C. Repair or prevention. Now i'm not going to seal it up and never use the damn things and neither will most of you. Hell some of you have them as wall ornaments via magnets. Honestly it just seems like there should be a better way to make them. Why not use a rust resistant metal like aluminum? As for damage it's pretty much over once it gets rust. Isolate from your collection and just keep it locked away or just dispose of it some how as there isn't any kind of repair you can do at that point. Others have claimed that using car wax or similar products can help rust proof them but really that's kinda sad that we have to even go that far. As far as prevention I used to just put any I got into ziplocks and hide them away as I was told just letting them out into the air causes rust. (That seems really paranoid doesn't it?) At the end of the day you can't win against mother nature but there must be something you can do isn't there?

Sorry for the barrage of rusty inquiries, you're the best @Wreck

Tinplate is mostly steel though. Steel is an alloy that contains iron. There is only a thin layer of tin. So if that tin gets scratched the underlying iron will rust over time.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
Tinplate is mostly steel though. Steel is an alloy that contains iron. There is only a thin layer of tin. So if that tin gets scratched the underlying iron will rust over time.
Well nothing of what im mentioning or referencing is in regards to people having damaged steelbooks in their collection. If damaged is considered as having some gaping scratch past the surface paint and tin. I'm just talking about ones that people consider mint.

In a somewhat similar instance working in a different industry where we have steel tanks we always say our first layer of protection against rust is paint.

It's all rather silly and to the point that if you get a rusted steel you might as well play the lotto, because it does happen so far and few between. Have I seen it, yes. Having lived on this site and in the steel collecting community for over a decade I've only seen like 3 instances. I'm sure if one were to purposely try to make it happen then it could ... but also still owning some in my own collection that have once been located in all parts of the Country in different humidity environments then I'd say its nothing to overly concern and worry about.

I have seen one that looked like a science experiment where it had been attacked tho. If the paint was continually coming off and these steelbooks showing rust too often then we'd have seen this become an issue long ago.

I do understand the concern tho when changing the environment you will have them in tho like introducing a humidifier, but if your setting on the humidifier (%)is simply matching natural environment of other people who collect then you likely wont be seeing an issue if they havent been. I'm also very familiar with humidifiers having helped my Dad set them up in his house down in Houston after Hurricane Harvey.

• Helpful Post
Reactions: dfoles
Hey Wreck-

I was curious about the process of designing and acquiring Steelbook artwork and was wondering if you could give me a quick rundown of the process to satisfy a few burning questions I have.

What is the process for what qualifies for a Steelbook having been made? To my understanding- it can be from a few different angles. Most larger, studio released films coming from Disney, Fox, WB, and Sony produce Steelbooks for their newly released films almost by default- or retroactively release Steelbooks of older films when sales for any particular title require reinvigorating. It always seems like these types of titles just pop-up- with very limited or minimal thought involved with the actual design process of Steelbooks- with companies just recycling the amaray artwork on to a new canvas, or by releasing a wave of Steelbooks similar in style- like the upcoming Walmart line.

But then, there are premium companies like HDZeta, MantaLab- etc, etc- who seem to choose which titles they would want to tackle. From there- is it a balance of studio communication? Do certain studios mandate what kind of artwork can and can’t be used-? To what degree does Scanavo have in the actual design process? Do these retailers have more creative freedom in designing the slip-cases for Steelbooks? I think back to certain examples like BluFans The Force Awakens Steelbook and am saddened that the Steelbook itself used the same artwork as the amaray, while Dan Mumford’s beautiful monochromatic illustrations were restricted to the backs of the Fullslips.

What about for film studio distributors in certain countries? I know certain distributors such as Studio Canal and eOne exist only in certain countries, and limit their distribution to said countries- titles like Arrival and Midnight Special (eOne) got Steelbook treatments through Zavvi.com, while the U.S. distributors retaining rights to those films chose not to release those films as Steelbooks at all.

And while I understand certain re-releases, anniversary collections, and 4K editions normally prompt studios to release a Steelbook- what’s with a lot of the titles that Zavvi receives? It’s a bit baffling when titles are announced like Seven Samurai (a film that I love) because it isn’t accompanied with any sort of fanfare- there was no remaster- upgrade- or anniversary to time that to- it just seems to have, like so many other titles, popped up. Is there a steady drip of titles awaiting release that we’ll just see down the line?

I appreciate any and all information. :)

Thank you!

@Wreck Are there still efforts for HDN line of premium steelbooks? How is that going? And also, if its hard to get approvals over here in the west, it seems less hard in the east with so many asian premium brands so, couldn't we just partner with a retailer shop there and release our stuff through the asian market?

It's not currently being worked on, but we have some good opportunities and one of which that is just on the back burner.

A lot of Asian brands take more risks than others and are more sucessful with the risks as the studios dont have lawyers on payroll practicing law in those Countries. Just a matter of them discovering then putting the hammer down on the distributors thus in turn on those retailers.

There are some that are legit by getting licensing for the art (albeit just for that territory) and that's why its all about what art can or cant get approved. The one's who just do whatever they want or continuously get new art that no other folks are getting well there are your red flags.

• Thanks
Reactions: berns and Noodles
There are some that are legit by getting licensing for the art (albeit just for that territory) and that's why its all about what art can or cant get approved. The one's who just do whatever they want or continuously get new art that no other folks are getting well there are your red flags.
*cough* UHD Club and MLife *cough* :whistle:

UHD club was just forced by Warners to change their Matrix cover to the pre approved spoon cover.
I don't think Warner Bros. Makes demands on bootleggers.
Says who? UHD Club? They can tell you anything. Most likely they probably just decided to change it since the previous art wasn't even from the first Matrix film. :facepalm:

Warner Bros appears to be a bootleg company too.... ;)
You should really get that eye checked out...

But anyway, whatever... if people are happy to spend their cash on knock-offs, then go for it. :)

Says who? UHD Club? They can tell you anything. Most likely they probably just decided to change it since the previous art wasn't even from the first Matrix film. :facepalm:

You should really get that eye checked out...

Honest question: what makes that criteria any different from Black Barons, Fac, HDzeta, etc?
Many of these companies have said the exact same thing. (The studio made them change the art).
What is the criteria we use for legitimate vs. bootleg?
(Seriously) How do we know who is legitimate and who is not? Example: prove to me Blufans is legit and UHD Club is not.
(I have no dog in the hunt, per se - I am genuinely curious....CM has been called bootleg for years - now they have a website and nobody calls them that anymore.)

Reactions: larson1977