Ask Wreck: SteelBooks Questions

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
I dont know how long I will do this, or if people have questions ... but I'll check this thread daily in case people have questions about steelbooks etc. I'll try to answer to the best of my ability from what I am allowed to say in some cases or just info you may not have seen me drop before in past threads.

Last edited:
This could be interesting Big John, I have no doubt some members will have really good questions for you so Good Luck :movie:

Update: I will also try to post some news nuggets in here as well. (In addition to its thread)

As for Police Story from Japan. Being its first time on blu-ray there we may not see English dubs. However the studio did tell me to get with them in a month and they'll have better answer in regards to the audio/subs on disc. Who knows, maybe they'll be kind and add it if not already there. :p

Last edited:
How much extra does it cost to add embossing/debossing?

Is there any steelbook options (like for ex. glossy) that we haven't seen yet?

1) Cant divulge info in regards to actual costs, but its a flat fee per side.

2) There is a feature you guys haven't seen yet ; (that I have) but again I can't say. It would be a game-changer ... so I hope it sees the light of day. :) It's a testament to the innovation that Scanavo/SteelBook(TM) bring to the table and the quality they bring with their products.

What I can say tho, is I can talk about some finishes that are "out there" but are not widely known due to them having not been used very much.

One which is more known, and I think its one of the coolest is "Crackle Lacquer". Only 2 "Blu-ray" steelbooks have had crackle lacquer. 10,000 BC Germany and Clash of the Titan Germany. They are amazing, and every steelbook collector should own one to see how awesome they truly are in hand. I would love to see a third as that would make for a cool display in a trio stand. ;) Another real cool one (albeit DVD) is National Treasure 2 .... looks great! I've also noticed the value rise over time on these titles as it's pretty hard to get 10,000 BC (the older of the two titles) for less than $55ish. Clash is a better movie, so I presume it'll overtake 10k bc at some point in time.

Other effects/print methods is the raised lettering effect. It's like a silk finish that raises the lettering up and you can run your finger across and definitely feel it. Also looks real cool. Alliance did this to one of their waves in Canada. "Appaloosa" "The Fighter" "The Wrestler" They have the effect on front and spine.

---------- Post added at 09:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:03 AM ----------

I know you mentioned in the actual thread but I'll 2nd the request for specs info on the new Terminator release.

Still working with Play and FOX to get the answers to this. The holdup is on FOX's end.

Thanks Wreck, very interesting. I do love the crackle finish, it looks amazing in hand. Pictures don't do it justice! I would love to see more steels with that kind of finish.

TERMINATOR!!!!!!!!!!

SOUND - English 5.1 DTS HD-MA, Spanish 5.1 DD, French 5.1 DTS, Japanese 5.1 DTS, Portugese 2.0 DD stereo, Thai 2.0 DD Stereo

LANGUAGES - English for the hearing impaired, Spanish, Danish, Finnish, French, Japanese, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish, (There may be more languages but the info cut off here!!)

1 disc

Widescreen 16:9 1.85:1

REGION - ABC

Spec features -
Creating the Terminator: Visual Effects and Music
Terminator: A Retrospective
Terminated scenes

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the Play.com exclusive version of Prometheus close to selling out?

2) When will we have more details about the possible upcoming Fox wave you mentioned a short while back?

1) Cant divulge info in regards to actual costs, but its a flat fee per side.

2) There is a feature you guys haven't seen yet ; (that I have) but again I can't say. It would be a game-changer ... so I hope it sees the light of day. :) It's a testament to the innovation that Scanavo/SteelBook(TM) bring to the table and the quality they bring with their products.

Is that feature embossing on the back ?

Last edited:
Thanks Wreck, very interesting. I do love the crackle finish, it looks amazing in hand. Pictures don't do it justice! I would love to see more steels with that kind of finish.

I agree but...please use it on decent films!!!

Thanks for the info wreck, quite interesting reading!

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Great thread!

Why is it a 4k minimum print run?

Why has quality diminished on some newer steelbooks, is it down to the metal they use?
For example I have IM FS and IM Play and the FS is much better. Does it come down to the finish or something?

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is the Play.com exclusive version of Prometheus close to selling out?

2) When will we have more details about the possible upcoming Fox wave you mentioned a short while back?

1) I would say getting there ... last I inquired it was 75% and that was like a week ago?

2) Lips sealed for now, (unfortunately!) but HDN will be the first to know!

Is that feature embossing on the back ?

no. That's been done before. (besides The Raid) Das Boot Jumbo (DE) ... and many Video Game steels like the awesome Mortal Kombat steel, Halo Wars and many more.

Something else. ;)

Great thread!

Why is it a 4k minimum print run?

Why has quality diminished on some newer steelbooks, is it down to the metal they use?
For example I have IM FS and IM Play and the FS is much better. Does it come down to the finish or something?

They use thinner gauge metal now almost primarily. Kind of like most things, try to figure out a way to make it cheaper. I'm sure if no competitors were around they could have kept the heavier gauge metal ... I've not inquired whether or not it was even still possible to order a steelbook in the heavier/thicker gauge like we used to see in all the old steels. (tho probably is if studio requests) However the last I saw was the TDK/BB France. Its very noticeable when comparing Embossed/Debossed steels of Old vs. New.

4k: Has to be worth everyone's time. Studios, retailers, marketers (Scanavo). Quantities broken only in rare instances. ie. SDCC Sucker Punch.

Can we ask if specific titles were interested in are coming to steel soon or in the works? Or is that can of worms not to be opened.... lol.

Now that they have released TNG on steelbook. Is TV-series steelbooks on the rise?

Will we see any more interesting releases?

Hi Wreck,

I'll bet you've been asked this a million times but can't see it in this thread, is there ever likely to be another print run of the two Iron Man play.com steelbooks? I missed them as I wasn't collecting for a few months and was really gutted when I found out.

Also, who do you actually work for? (Your profile just says Bluray ambassador under occupation)