Multi Battlefield 3 - New "Matches" feature launched

Jan 28, 2009
Manteca, CA
Battlefield 3
is the true successor to Battlefield 2. Beyond our signature multiplayer, we have also included a full single-player campaign and a co-op campaign – all straight out of the box. As for fan favorite features, how does the return of jets, prone, and 64-player multiplayer (on PC) sound? All this built with our powerful new game engine Frostbite 2, which you'll hear and see a lot of in the months leading up to launch.
<br>
<br>
<br>
Fault Line Episode III
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DsHIHxYXeLs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<br>
<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xP0Ij1_VTY0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xP0Ij1_VTY0&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wi2tae2PmmU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BF3_2D00_packshots3.png

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jBcG4tiZ5Kk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Battlefield 3 will release this Fall.

bf3screenshot4.jpg

bf3screenshot1.jpg

The new GameInformer issue is out and folks have already provided scans of the article, which include plenty of great-looking screenshots. Furthermore, these details were obtained from the article:

Aiming for Fall 2011 release

4 classes

Concept for BF3 has been in the works for years, waiting on proper tech to seamlessly come together

Frostbite 2.0 is the culmination of this tech, entirely re-written

Lighting sounds neat, one “probe” contains more lighting information than an entire BFBC2 level.

Level destruction is going to be “believable” but basically everything is destructible.

Character animations powered by ANT, what EA Sports uses.

AI characters and multiplayer characters have different animation sets

No more “gliding” animations that look off, animation realism is a focus

Captured their own war audios (bullets, tanks, helicopters, etc) at different distances to ensure realism

Better audio cues for certain actions, more easily able to listen for threats

Plan on better, more immediate post release content

More unlocks than Bad Company 2

Dice trying to find a good balance between customization of your character and not having “pink rabbit hat(s)”

Will have co-op

There will be a kill-cam but it can be turned off

BF3′s team is almost twice as big as the team for BFBC2

They want the pacing of the single player mode to be balanced, with highs and lows. Makes the comparison to a song vs a guitar solo.

Part of the single player mode takes place in Sulaymaniyah (Iraqi Kurdistan).

Will be M rated

PC version is lead version

No mod tools at release.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Wreck
Battlefield 3 is a 'next-gen game for current-gen systems'

Eager to get your hands on next-generation consoles but don’t want to wait another five years? Then DICE has got you covered – the developer’s boasted that the upcoming Battlefield 3 is a “next-gen game for current-gen systems.”

Chatting with the folks at Game Informer, the firm’s executive producer, Patrick Bach, revealed that the studio went back to the drawing board with its Frostbite engine for the shooter, implementing a host of eye-popping effects including real-time lightning and large-scale destruction.

"You shouldn't have to wait for the Xbox 720 or PlayStation 4," insisted Bach. "We have to deliver this to you now, and we wanted to do it on all the platforms."

The tech’s been touted by EA as an "incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights".

Elsewhere, Bach also let slip a few other details, stating the single-player campaign’s pacing will be punctuated by “highs and lows,” and features a meaty narrative to boot. Apparently, the development team has nearly doubled in comparison to that of Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

Particular attention was given to the game’s character customisation, however, with Bach stating the team is looking to find a sweet spot in regards to this aspsec: “The more variation you have [in the characters], the less you can have in the rest of the world," he noted.

“I think it also has to do with the way you play more professionally. You don’t want people to look completely different. It’s team A versus team B. It’s always a challenge – how do you personalise a uniform? Giving the pink rabbit hat to someone would make it fun, but if you’re running around and you don’t know what you’re shooting at, you don’t take the professional gaming seriously in my book.”

Battlefield 3 ships this fall.

well since it ships in the Fall that's a good trial run time for KZ3. If I'm bored of it I may come back over to the BF front. I really need to get my internet connection fixed tho. Dunno why it only affects BF. strange. Also will depend if I get into Socom this time. I doubt it tho because of mny hatred for the weapon wheel.

EA wants to reclaim FPS market - claims Battlefield 3 will be best game out this year

Electronic Arts boss John Riccitiello’s reiterated that the firm is gunning to reclaim its position as market leader in the FPS genre.

The executive noted that EA calved out what they believe was the industry’s first “mass market” FPS series in Medal of Honor, though conceded the publishing giant no longer dominates the genre as it once did.

"I've made no excuse for the reality that I want market leadership in the first-person shooter business," said Riccitiello, speaking at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference. "In many ways I feel that we created the first mass market first-person shooter with Medal of Honor and unfortunately with the transition to the PS3 era we lost that. We're after it now."

"There's a great thing about an annual franchise, whether it's us or our competition; when you've got that annual franchise it's a meal ticket, it can generate a great deal of income.”

"One of the problems with an annual franchise is you don't take the time to reengineer the underlying codebase so that it's as 'next-generation' as it can be," he explained.

Despite having fallen off its pedestal as FPS market leader, Riccitiello believes the upcoming Battlefield 3 is just the ticket it needs to re-establish itself in the playing field. In fact, he went so far as to claim that the shooter will stand head and shoulders above anything else released this year.

"We think there's a window of opportunity here. We've been investing for three years to build Battlefield 3. I think it will stand up as the best product in the industry this year... and we're going dead at 'em,” he commented.

I have pre-ordered my copy for PC already! I just upgraded my video cards to two GTX490!! I can't freaking wait!

Hopefully it works well with SLI. I think my GTX 460 will be able to run it easily like every other game. Think i'll double dip for PC and PS3.

Holy **** man, those graphics look insane even on the ****** youtube vid .... GOTMFY

Here is a breakdown of each quick scene.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Mh4eHHOHuyg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Limited Edition includes:

will include 4 BF2 maps remade with the Forstbite 2 engine, including the famous Strike At Karkand. On top of that, the DLC will ship with vehicles and weapons from BF2 as well.

Those who do not get the Limited Edition will be able to purchase the Back To Karkand DLC a month after the game is released, and it’s rumored to retail at $10.

Strike at Karkand was awesome!!! Glad to see it retouched!! I am so pumped for this 64 player matches!

Is the DLC $10 for PS3/360 only? does PC have to pay too?

BFBC packs were all free for PC, that's why I am asking.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I guess more info will become available as release date approaches.

Strike at Karkand was awesome!!! Glad to see it retouched!! I am so pumped for this 64 player matches!

Is the DLC $10 for PS3/360 only? does PC have to pay too?

BFBC packs were all free for PC, that's why I am asking.

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I guess more info will become available as release date approaches.

It's free when you preorder, you only pay if you don't preorder.

PRE-ORDER BATTLEFIELD 3 TO GET “BACK TO KARKAND” EXPANSION PACK

Pre-order Battlefield 3 to receive the digital expansion pack Battlefield 3: Back to Karkand at no extra charge! This themed multiplayer expansion pack includes four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with Frostbite™ 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new achievements/trophies, and more. Players anxious to start the fight can pre-order the Battlefield 3 Limited Edition now. Pre-order while supplies last.

*Conditions and restrictions apply. See EA Store for details.

Battlefield 3 leaps ahead of its time with the power of Frostbite™ 2, the next instalment of DICE's cutting-edge game engine. This state-of-the-art technology is the foundation on which Battlefield 3 is built, delivering enhanced visual quality, a grand sense of scale, massive destruction, dynamic audio and incredibly lifelike character animations. As bullets whiz by, walls crumble, and explosions throw you to the ground, the battlefield feels more alive and interactive than ever before. In Battlefield 3, players step into the role of the elite U.S. Marines where they will experience heart-pounding missions across diverse locations including Paris, Tehran and New York.

Frostbite 2 – Battlefield 3 introduces Frostbite 2, the incredible technology that takes animation, destruction, lighting, scale and audio to new heights. Built upon this powerful game engine, Battlefield 3 immerses players physically and emotionally to the world around them like never before.

Feel the Battle — Feel the impact of bullets and explosions, drag your fallen comrades into safety, and mount your weapon on almost any part of the terrain. Battlefield 3's cutting edge animation, spectacular visuals and real as hell battle gameplay attack your senses and make you feel the visceral warrior's experience like no other FPS.

Unparalleled Vehicle Warfare — The best online vehicle warfare experience gets even better with a fitting sonic boom as fighter jets headline an impressive lineup of land, air and sea vehicles. Other returning fan favourite features include 64 players for PC and prone.

Urban Combat — Take the fight to iconic and unexpected places in the USA, Middle East, and Europe including claustrophobic streets, metropolitan downtowns, and open, vehicle-friendly landscapes as you fight your way through the war of tomorrow.

Reactions: Wreck and bighorns