Beer suggestions needed

Apr 7, 2011
Glendale, AZ
Hey gang --

You guys seem to know your beers, so I figured I'd ask another question.

Back in the day, I tried Boddington's Ale. I really liked the creaminess... the only problem is it kinda lacked flavor, and was VERY bitter.

Is there anything that's in the same vein as Boddington's... but less bitter?

I'm going to guess that you had their English Bitter. A few of the reviews I've read about this one sound a lot like what you described. I think it will all depend on what you like. If you want to keep some of the bitterness, but add more flavor, try other English Bitters. I like Surly's Bitter Brewer, but it's going to be hard to come by in AZ. If you like the creamy aspect better, see if you can track down some cream ales. I haven't had any, so I can't really point you in any given direction on that one. Lastly, some stouts have a really creamy taste and/or texture. I like Young's Double Chocolate Stout or Guinness for that.

English Bitter list
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/98

Cream Ale
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/6

Reactions: JPBoston
Thanks, Off.

That double-chocolate stout sounds delicious... and my BevMo carries it. That's officially on the list.

But my main search is for something that's creamy and 'blonde' (for lack of a better term) like Boddingtons... just a little less bitter, with hopefully a little bit more flavor. I'll go thru that cream ale list and see if I can spot anything...

Haha, never heard of banana beer. I'll have to check that out... Total Wine (a bigger version of Bev Mo) has a lot of single bottle selections, maybe they'll have it.

Bevmo carries this banana beer is good :p can't remember the brand but it's not hard to find.

Banana beer sounds like a good German Hefeweizen (lighter color) or Dunkelweizen (dark). You'll either find them with a big clove taste or a hint of banana. The crazy thing about this is it's all dependent on how warm or cold the tank was when they were fermenting the beer.