May 18, 2013
AZ, U.S.A
4.25 star(s) Rating: 4.25/5 4 Votes
Title: Birds of Prey

Genre: Action, Crime, Drama

Director: Cathy Yan

Cast: Margot Robbie

Release: 2020-02-07

Plot: After splitting up with The Joker, Harley Quinn and three other female superheroes – Black Canary, Huntress and Renee Montoya – come together to save the life of a little girl (Cassandra Cain) from an evil crime lord.

Birds of Prey is definitely causing quite the buzz wether it’s good or bad the word is getting out there because of it. The critical reception is fantastic along with the praise the audience has given it who had the pleasure of watching early at the World premiere in Mexico on Jan 25th then the London premiere on Jan 29th which is when the social media embargo lifted. The review embargo lifted on Monday IIRC before release which from what I understand is pretty standard procedure for WB to get the hype train moving. Up until the early documented box office earnings the reception for Birds of Prey has been excellent with word of mouth giving it strong legs over the opening weekend but obviously not enough as numbers are down due to early predictions, why is this could be many of things but I highly doubt the name.

First and foremost it’s still early it hasn’t even been out a week yet and it’s been deemed a flop by some already even though it’s already made back its money it cost to make which was 82 million and then another 15 was allocated for marketing. It’s shown that marketing is its biggest downfall but it was always going to be an uphill battle being R Rated, being the lowest cost made “DCEU” film ever and in the month of February the quietest month for films for the whole year. Even with such a limited budget advertising and marketing has been good with the biggest standout being Harleywood and Burger King.

Yeah the posters have been hit and miss but overall I like them all apart from 1 or 2 badly photoshopped posters. Trailers have been great with not giving away the whole picture to give you the overall tone of the film. The costumes are probably the weakest point and biggest complaint I’ve seen but in all fairness none of these characters are established just yet and seen mostly in their street wear well except for Harley but she’s a tragic train wreck after the breakup with her puddin so can understand where they are going with her costumes as she’s trying to re establish herself with her emancipation.

Yes we don’t get 101% comic accurate costumes but we do get Roller Derby Comic Harley and an adaption of her SS Rebirth outfit plus the birds once formed get more accurate comic costumes.

Another weak point is there is no Babs / Oracle and this doesn’t resonate well with the fans which is understandable but WB want to do a solo for Batgirl first and we still need to cross the road of the Killing Joke to get to Oracle.

One other major standout which has lowered expectations of box office earnings from the GP of unknown characters has to be this does not have the MCU clout which makes it so easy for the mouse house to cash in on. There is also the antis that have labelled this as a “SJW feminism” film which has spread its toxicity all over Twitter. Then there is the fact that a lot of people are still burnt over Suicide Squad and will not watch this because of this even though that was heavily interfered with the studio to be like a GOTG wannabe.

WB and DC have had to do a lot of rebuilding after Josstice League and Suicide Squad so still have a lot of rebuilding to go to regain peoples trust but they are definitely on the right road with their +1 billion outings of Aquaman and Joker. Then there’s Toby Emmerich the only left of that old whine who was responsible for the downturn of the DCEU if anyone is to blame for hitting the panic button it’s him as this is Walter Hamada’s first movie under his regime as he joined later to the party for Aquaman and Shazam.

Anyways this doesn’t change a thing for me I will continue to sing loud from the rooftop how freaking amazing this film is in more ways than one and how perfect Margot is as Harley with this film digging deep into her core of who she is for her good and her bad.

Oh btw even though Margot hand picked the outfit for Suicide Squad after many costume trials she ended up feeling very uncomfortable in it especially after the “fun reshoots” which added the “male gaze”. So can totally understand why that’s gone and it wasn’t even iconic at all as the inspiration is from Blondie’s Debbie Harry as seen below.

Anywho that’s my rant go watch Harley Quinn : Birds of Prey you want regret it most fun I’ve had in the cinemas for years it’s a blast from start to finish with great acting, cinematography and fight choreography. Will definitely be going to watch it for the third time in the coming weeks as Box Office earnings doesn’t = the quality of the film never has never will.

7CA84C96-C476-4C64-B8D6-7D4511025F91.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Helpful Post
Reactions: vexred and Drum18
OMG It’s happening Harley with Red and Black hair :drool: in The Suicide Squad (uploaded original photo if the link to the set video gets taken down - see below picture)

5F54F736-E3CD-42C2-92D1-61F2193E1385.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: vexred
Wow...
They are changing the Title of movie (for in theaters) to:

HARLEY QUINN: BIRDS OF PREY

...are we desperate to get some $ or what ? I'm laughing my ass off ! Told you so. This is garbage !

"The critical reception is fantastic "

What planet are you living on ?

...Earth.
Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 1.20.37 PM.png

...are we desperate to get some $ or what ? I'm laughing my ass off ! Told you so. This is garbage !

Hey @Space Cadet, I don't understand why anyone (you) would want a film to fail or do poorly at the box office.
Anytime that happens it has a ripple effect and studios will be more fearful to take risks.
You'll possibly start to see less Rated R super-hero films now. A film like this not performing causes safe and unoriginal movies.

Also the film isn't garbage. You obviously haven't seen it because its far from it.

2A4F8BF4-0B4F-4264-9BB0-9875751DB6F2.jpeg

1581458045460.jpeg

(Sorry for the language but I’ve really had it up to hear with this guy he’s had it in for this movie for a very long time. Honestly it’s sad to see to someone want a movie to fail so badly!)

Okay I finally see this and had been looking forward to it so much.
I did really enjoy it but there was something missing.
It’s very half and half at times but a million times better than suicide squad (Harley was the only good thing in that).

There’s some excellent moments but also some very dead moments. Some excellent humour and weird (good weird) moments but then a lot of forced comedy too. It’s very violent and graphic which made me happy. It felt like it needed it otherwise it just would of been cheesey.

The cast are all great but Ewan again goes in between some genius moments and some over the top forced moments (mainly when he’s angry).
Margot/ harley just looks incredible in this, absolutely love her style in this one. Love her look in SS too for obvious reasons but there’s something a bit more stylish and cooler about her look in this film

although I enjoyed it, I felt like it was trying to be the DC female deadpool but also trying hard to step away from that. It’s my half and half thing again. I can’t really explain what was missing, I just know what I mean haha. Also a cool soundtrack. Suited it very well unlike the terrible editing of songs in suicide squad.

The film is great but don’t live up to its posters! If that makes sense

Also, one small thing that annoyed me about bruce the hyena

massively underused. Obviously a cost decision for CGI but I wanted that thing to go full attack for a least one scene! But he was still cool and looked unreal

Perhaps the majority of male moviegoers still aren't ready to embrace movies with mostly female casts (based on past films)

Ghostbusters
Ocean's 8
Charlie's Angels

Also, opening weekend audiences were 51% female and 49% male. People under the age of 25 gave it a better rating than those over 25. So perhaps the R rating hurts there.

Of course, Suicide Squad didn't help either. Kind of like how people stayed away from Solo after The Last Jedi.

A lot of people like myself will check this out when it's released on disc or streaming but I'm not going to bother going to the theater for it. I also felt that Margot Robbie was the only good thing about Suicide Squad. She surprised me. I wasn't expecting that.

Reactions: willbar84
Perhaps the majority of male moviegoers still aren't ready to embrace movies with mostly female casts (based on past films)

Ghostbusters
Ocean's 8
Charlie's Angels

Also, opening weekend audiences were 51% female and 49% male. People under the age of 25 gave it a better rating than those over 25. So perhaps the R rating hurts there.

Of course, Suicide Squad didn't help either. Kind of like how people stayed away from Solo after The Last Jedi.

A lot of people like myself will check this out when it's released on disc or streaming but I'm not going to bother going to the theater for it. I also felt that Margot Robbie was the only good thing about Suicide Squad. She surprised me. I wasn't expecting that.

Yup. The R rating hurt it big time. (although its only 14A here in Canada).
I think a lot of younger audiences like Harley and they probably would have made a good chunk more at PG13

Reactions: Stygian
I would say for Asia, imo DC has never been as popular or as well accepted as Marvel.

Also the timing hasn't been great with the release date at the height of concerns over the corona virus.
People have been avoiding crowded events/locations and you have Governments advising people to not go out unnecessarily, that's certainly going to hurt ticket sales in general.

Here what cinemas in HK are now doing for every movie screening at the moment.
1581616592535.png

Whole rows blocked out, segregating people so as to not get much too clustered together.