BOSE - Really worth the $$$$?

sxspdlgnd

Premium Supporter
Nov 28, 2010
NY
I am looking to purchase a new home theatre system...been asking everyone and everyone feels BOSE is the best? Help? Is that true? is it woth the money..? I like the V35 {$3400) Any one know of any similar system with same sound reproduction? or is it true BOSE is the best out right.? Appreciate the feedback...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am looking to purchase a new home theatre system...been asking everyone and everyone feels BOSE is the best? Help? Is that true? is it woth the money..? I like the V35 {$3400) Any one know of any similar system with same sound reproduction? or is it true BOSE is the best out right.? Appreciate the feedback...

Personally I feel Bose is overrated and this is not just based on other people's opinions (you can check on avsforum.com as well). I tested several systems in the room which became my home theater because I believe each room has its own acoustic character. About a year and a half ago, I wanted to upgrade my sound system and tested the V25 (about $1000 less than the V35) and it paled in comparison to my system then (Denon AVR3802 and Polk full range speakers all around). The mid-range was severely lacking and the imaging was non-existent perhaps because of the size of the room (18x30feet).

My point is that for the money you can do better and if you have the time, you will get a lot in return especially in getting the right sound for your home theater. I hope that helps.

On the internet, all I ever hear is people bashing bose. Bose is good, but it should only be used in certain living conditions. I wouldnt build no home theater or man cave scenario around bose unless you just didnt have the room.

If you got room. Get a receiver that can decode HD Audio (since that is how you will enjoy Blu-ray the best ;) )

Then look for some front tower standing speakers ... and piece by piece get your 5.1 set up. Run speaker wires to them.

If you dont have that big of space (although I dont really have that big of space and have mine set up) then you could go for smaller towers, etc. Really small space then Bose is probably good.

My friends back home, would think Bose are awesome and amazing... (as they arent home theater type like people) while my friends on this forum would know better, and do.

I would go for bose if I had a very small room. Otherwise if I had limited space I'd get the fronts and center and bass going ... then look for some satelitte rear speakers without wires.

Reactions: sxspdlgnd
For 3400 you could probably find something better. I considered buying Bose for my new place, but after lots of research I settled for other brand's equipment. Polk audio speakers really did it for me.

take the advice of everyone here my friend. bose are not bad sounding but they are way overpriced for what you get. for over $3000 you can get a good hometheater that will blow away anything bose has to offer. just like ash said, go to avsforum.com

Bose is cute for their small size. The premium price that you paid is going into their marketing pool.

It is true that a lot people bash Bose...for a legitimate reason.

My first Bose speakers were those 5.1 satellite. At the time, it was good enough with limited space, but I felt it wasn't good enough if you like to play it loud for theater like sound.

For that price, you should definitely test out other speaker setup that gives you the punch and oomphh...and wow factor.

Good luck.

Bose is cute for their small size. The premium price that you paid is going into their marketing pool.

It is true that a lot people bash Bose...for a legitimate reason.

My first Bose speakers were those 5.1 satellite. At the time, it was good enough with limited space, but I felt it wasn't good enough if you like to play it loud for theater like sound.

For that price, you should definitely test out other speaker setup that gives you the punch and oomphh...and wow factor.

Good luck.

Yes exactly what I was trying to describe. If you enjoy loud movies and expansive audio, you will need something other than this Bose set up. My demo scene for equipment selection is the first Transformers movie when Optimus Prime first approached Sam as a truck and then begins the transformation. Talk about oomph and punch. On a typical system, you will hear the crystal clear sound of the gears and wheels spinning with a little bit of mid-range and some bass. On a setup with full range towers like Wreck recommended (I have the Polk towers with powered subwoofers for the fronts in addition to the main sub), you give get the oomph and punch with each turn of the wheel and gear and every lock and turn is felt right where you are. Awesome investment!

So answer the question plainly... Bose is over-rated and over-priced :) That doesn't make their products bad. Infact pretty good products but not worth the money imo.

The little I know about home theatre audio I would put my money elsewhere for audio.

My experiences with Bose products are basically the same. For what you get, you're paying waaay to much money. Very similar to "Beats by dr.Dre" products in the headphone world. The full-size models aren't worth half the retail price.

Ok. I made a decision got the onkyo 709 recievers, mirage 5 speaker set for highs, nice bass box. And 2 Polk audio tsi400's. Now I have a question if anyone would comment. Can I use the polk's as my rear speakers? Or do they have to be up front? Gonna run 7.1. ?

There are ALOT of other systems out there that will outshine Bose in every aspect. You pay a whole lot to have tiny sound and speakers with 4 letters stamped on it. And I work in a AV store that sells Bose so I'm not just bashing.

Roque

Roque13's right, I have the Bose Acoustimass 12 sitting out in my garage. After you buy a set of loadspeakers there's no turning back. If you want pure quality check out Definitive Technology :D or Paradigm. You're going to pay out the nose for them but there worth it and they'll last you a lifetime if you take care of them.

I have to agree with the room. Unless its a space issue, get something nice and more robust. Speakers that will blow women's clothes off....

Ok. I made a decision got the onkyo 709 recievers, mirage 5 speaker set for highs, nice bass box. And 2 Polk audio tsi400's. Now I have a question if anyone would comment. Can I use the polk's as my rear speakers? Or do they have to be up front? Gonna run 7.1. ?

You should be able to use them on the back too. Once you have them hooked up, run a speaker test or connect the Audessy auto calibration tool to let your receiver do the work.

The premium price that you paid is going into their marketing pool.

That's it in a nutshell.

I have satelites in my HT. I was going to pick up the KEF5k / 7k series, but ended up going for Anthony Gallo A'dvia: http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/pages/products-speakers-adiva.php

It all comes down to personal taste, if you are going to shell out >$3k make sure you demo the equipment yourself and do plenty of research :)

Bose aren't bad, just expensive for what you get

EDIT: I'll also add that 7.1 in't worth the extra $ in my opinion. I've got a 7.1 setup & really wish I had stuck with 5.1, I got the "ooh shiney" syndrom with 7.1 hype.

Last edited:
I have the 5.1 set of Bose cubes (Acoustimass 10 Series IV) in my bedroom. The sound is amazing for the size of speakers. I don't think they're worth the $1000+ retail. I picked mine up at a pawn shop for way less than half retail.