The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: October 15th, 2015
Purchase link: MediaMarkt
Price: EUR 15.99

image.jpg

Funnily enough I watched this film the other day, it's still absolutely mental and absolutely brilliant. Reading into the various practical in camera effects used by Coppola is really entertaining. It's only blighted by Reeves horrendous performance and Hopkins incessant scenery chewing.

Been needing to upgrade to Blu and although I'm not a fan of project photoshop steels this looks not to bad (altho at first glance it looks like a steel for The Babbadook).

Reactions: C.C. 95
Problem is that according to bluray disc.de it wasn't going to be the 4K master but now they say Sony is backing down and releasing it with the US 4K master. And the f*#ked up part is that the US edition is region A locked, so no point in importing. If this and the deluxe edition (non steelbool) that are coming out that day ain't the 4K editions, this is a huge rip off

Supreme Cine Series disc inside?

Thanks, @augustus! The U.S. Is getting the 4K on October 6, and curiously, no word about that pop art steelbook.
Which is weird, because last time they started at Best Buys in the U.S.
I was pretty sure the German disc didn't leave out the English language sountrack on the disc. But it is curious they didn't list it. Very curious about this 4K edition. The previous versions have been very lackluster, especially with sound. The Criterion Collection laserdisc had an amazing sound mix, and I was hoping that eventually we would get a Criterion Blu ray. Well, at least the ball is rolling on BSD releases. A very underrated masterpiece. A flawed masterpiece...but a masterpiece none the less. (IMHO).

Problem is that according to bluray disc.de it wasn't going to be the 4K master but now they say Sony is backing down and releasing it with the US 4K master. And the f*#ked up part is that the US edition is region A locked, so no point in importing. If this and the deluxe edition (non steelbool) that are coming out that day ain't the 4K editions, this is a huge rip off
I read somewhere on this forum that Amazon.it confirmed that their Italian steelbook will carry the new 4K disc......

It's currently under €10.

I read somewhere on this forum that Amazon.it confirmed that their Italian steelbook will carry the new 4K disc......

It's currently under €10.
While under €10 makes that attractive- shipping kills any possible savings in the end...
Fyi:
Just so people know- these 4k releases mean they are struck from the 4k rematers. They are not actual 4k discs. Actual 4k discs don't arrive until next year (and require a 4k player which will NOT be backwards compatible with current Blu ray discs).

Last edited:
While under €10 makes that attractive- shipping kills any possible savings in the end...
Fyi:
Just so people know- these 4k releases mean they are struck from the 4k rematers. They are not actual 4k discs. Actual 4k discs don't arrive until next year (and require a 4k player which will NOT be backwards compatible ith current Blu ray discs).
Yes I meant the 4K remaster (like Godzilla, Ghostbusters etc...)

Shipping for me is only €3-€4. How much is it to you?

I posted the following in the thread for the US 'Supreme Cinema Series' release, earlier this week. It provides details as to the version Europe will be getting.

European releases of the 4k remastered disc are definitely in the pipeline, albeit without the fancy book packaging.

The full specifications and artwork have been published for the Scandinavian edition which is being released on the 26th October 2015.

View attachment 190321

View attachment 190322

It will be seen from the image of the rear of the case that the content is the same as the US and Canadian releases. Although there are cosmetic differences as regards the language and subtitle options, the principal difference is that the Dolby Atmos track has been replaced here by a DTS-HD MA 5.1 track. That may account for the NA releases being Region A locked. This one is clearly Region ABC (free).

Most Scandinavian retailers don't ship overseas but it is available for (SEK) 99kr (about £7.75) from discshop.se, who do ship within the EU.

http://www.discshop.se/filmer/bluray/bram_stokers_dracula_mastered_in_4k_blu_ray/P134769

Although the Scandinavian edition is the only one, to date, actually confirmed to include the 4k remastered disc, this title is also being released in Germany (7/10) and Spain (8/10). It would seem logical, therefore, to assume that those releases will also include the new disc. Both retail for EUR 15.

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B01328FO98/?tag=hidefnin0d-21

http://www.amazon.es/dp/B015QMDV48/?tag=hidefnin03-21

Germany (15/10) and Italy (18/11) are also getting a 'Pop Art' Steelbook release of this title but the disc specifications are still unconfirmed. Hopefully, they will also include the new disc, as opposed to merely a means of clearing out stock of the old discs.

As yet, there has been no mention of a UK release but it will probably occur in due course.

Hope this assists.

Fyi:
Just so people know- these 4k releases mean they are struck from the 4k rematers. They are not actual 4k discs. Actual 4k discs don't arrive until next year (and require a 4k player which will NOT be backwards compatible ith current Blu ray discs).
Will Ultra HD Blu-ray players be backward compatible?
Yes They will
The UHD Blu-ray spec requires 4K Blu-ray players to be backwards compatible with regular Blu-ray discs.
They will play and Ultra HD 4k Blu-ray Discs and Standard Blu-ray Discs and DVD's

You won't of course be able to play a Ultra HD 4k Blu-ray Disc in a Standard Blu-ray Player

• Helpful Post
Reactions: SteelbookGenius666
Looking at how this one and the deluxe one mention all of the languages of the Nordic edition, I think it's safe to say we are getting 4K. Now I hope the info about Italian disc also being this one be true, as the price is AMAZING

Looking at how this one and the deluxe one mention all of the languages of the Nordic edition, I think it's safe to say we are getting 4K. Now I hope the info about Italian disc also being this one be true, as the price is AMAZING

Fyi:

Which is why 4k is going just one place - to be consigned to a place in history very soon!

As regards buying from Amazon Italy; if you're lucky enough to live in the EU the postage is minimal - my last order for three Steels cost just 3.25 euros (about £2-40) which is peanuts.

Fyi:

Which is why 4k is going just one place - to be consigned to a place in history very soon!

As regards buying from Amazon Italy; if you're lucky enough to live in the EU the postage is minimal - my last order for three Steels cost just 3.25 euros (about £2-40) which is peanuts.

There is SO musch wrong with UHD and its timing and cost, overhead, etc. This is not some big bully that is gonna come out swinging against Blu ray sales. It is too niche. And there is almost ZERO content. This is not taking off.
If it is lucky, it will have a slow build. But replacing Blu rays? No way. It is a niche item.

Reactions: Ranavalone