IMG_9713.JPG

E2:
IMG_9714.JPG

18835852_1785175604832319_8303513661436455189_n.jpg
Screen Shot 2015-09-08 at 17.59.36.png
child_44.jpg

child_44_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Heard mixed reviews about the film but it's certainly on my watchlist. I'm interested to see the whole package that Filmarena comes up with. The steel looks pretty good, so that's a nice start.

It is my goal to own a steelbook of every film Gary Oldman has done (for those that actually get the steelbook treatment, of course). Therefore, I must get this. Haha. It was an alright movie, so it isn't that much of an argument with myself.

[ ] Batman Begins
[ ] The Dark Knight
[ ] The Dark Knight Rises
[ ] Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
[ ] Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
[ ] Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
[ ] Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
[ ] Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2
[ ] True Romance
[ ] JFK
[ ] Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
[ ] Kung Fu Panda 2 (voice only)
[ ] Léon: The Professional
[ ] The Fifth Element
[ ] Lawless
[ ] RoboCop (2014)
[ ] The Book of Eli

Incoming

[ ] Bram Stoker's Dracula (Popart Steelbook)
[ ] Child 44 (FAC)

Did I forget one?

Last edited by a moderator:
pass. movie was ok. but not great. and the speed FAC releases come one has to skip every now and then....

A totally unexpected but welcome addition to the FAC. I never expected this title to even get a Steelbook release, let alone a FA one.

It's certainly misleading that Ridley Scott's name appears on the front. Although Scott obtained the rights to Tom Rob Smith's novel with the intention of directing it himself, he eventually handed over the directing reins to Daniel Espinosa, contenting himself with producing the film instead.

This most certainly is not a direct to video release as one member here has stated. Although not the success that the studio had hoped for, it's not strictly true to say that it completely bombed at the box office, at least as far as the international market is concerned. The US market is, of course, different but I don't think anyone would have expected it to have done well there, given its subject matter. It played at my local cinema for 5 weeks enabling me to see it more than once. The real duds only last 1 week!

It isn't as good as the book on which it was based but what film is? It is, however, an intelligent and thought provoking film, albeit a flawed one, that brings to life the contradictions of Russia during the era of Stalin.

It's also a film that benefits from more than a single viewing due to the multifaceted nature of its story. A number of the subtexts only become apparent on subsequent viewings.

If your taste in movies is for something light and entertaining then don't bother with this. If, however, you're into something darker and more cerebral then give this one a try.

I'll certainly be obtaining this and I look forward to seeing what FA do with it.

@augustus I get where you're coming from but I wouldn't say it's misleading, since it states "from producer" on the mock-up. :)

Thanks for the recommendation, saw the trailer a while back but didn't get around to watching it, will remedy that before deciding whether to buy it or not.

Reactions: luke98 and augustus
A totally unexpected but welcome addition to the FAC. I never expected this title to even get a Steelbook release, let alone a FA one.

It's certainly misleading that Ridley Scott's name appears on the front. Although Scott obtained the rights to Tom Rob Smith's novel with the intention of directing it himself, he eventually handed over the directing reins to Daniel Espinosa, contenting himself with producing the film instead.

This most certainly is not a direct to video release as one member here has stated. Although not the success that the studio had hoped for, it's not strictly true to say that it completely bombed at the box office, at least as far as the international market is concerned. The US market is, of course, different but I don't think anyone would have expected it to have done well there, given its subject matter. It played at my local cinema for 5 weeks enabling me to see it more than once. The real duds only last 1 week!

It isn't as good as the book on which it was based but what film is? It is, however, an intelligent and thought provoking film, albeit a flawed one, that brings to life the contradictions of Russia during the era of Stalin.

It's also a film that benefits from more than a single viewing due to the multifaceted nature of its story. A number of the subtexts only become apparent on subsequent viewings.

If your taste in movies is for something light and entertaining then don't bother with this. If, however, you're into something darker and more cerebral then give this one a try.

I'll certainly be obtaining this and I look forward to seeing what FA do with it.

your post makes me wanna buy it.

maybe I should watch it again ... Hmmm ...

and I do like the design ... the back cover is pretty smart ... you 'get it' if you have seen the film ....

Reactions: augustus
Interesting, I hadn't heard of this film before. Will have to give it a watch (having read up on it on IMDB) to see if I should pick this up :)

PS. Thanks for the info @augustus sounds like it could be good to me.

Thanks @augustus for clearing a bunch of the facts up so I don't have to!!
Ridley Scott just produced, and this was not Straight to video. It did not have the funding for a huge rollout.
Its a smaller movie. It played in the states in theaters too(it was at my multiplex!). It was just one of those movies that you had to know about and seek out. I myself, have not seen it yet. But Gary Oldman is my favorite actor so I will be seeeing it!
I haven't cross checked this- but is this the same story as the film CITIZEN X from 1995? It sounds like it might be dealing with the same killer. CITIZEN X was a very good picture BTW...

Thanks @augustus for clearing a bunch of the facts up so I don't have to!!
Ridley Scott just produced, and this was not Straight to video. It did not have the funding for a huge rollout.
Its a smaller movie. It played in the states in theaters too(it was at my multiplex!). It was just one of those movies that you had to know about and seek out. I myself, have not seen it yet. But Gary Oldman is my favorite actor so I will be seeeing it!
I haven't cross checked this- but is this the same story as the film CITIZEN X from 1995? It sounds like it might be dealing with the same killer. CITIZEN X was a very good picture BTW...

IMO it is.

Yes, to all intents and purposes, "Child 44" is based on the true story of Andrei Chikatilo, as depicted in "Citizen X". It has, however, been moved back in time to 1953, the last year of Stalin's life.

Another one?

I get your point. I really do, but, even if you're die hard collector, you don't have buy every title. and FA releases different genres of movies, so casual buyer finds one for him/herself every now and then. and finally, FA is a business, to be able to make these releases they gotta make money. IMO same thing as PA raised their print runs.

:thumbs:

Reactions: ocielz and Hamill82