College Football Conference Expansion

thunda123

Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Arizona U.S.A.
Anybody else a college football fan? All this expansion talk is crazy! I'm not sure any of this will actually go down but I guess there is some substance to some of these rumors.

They had a good defense but there is no way that when they are playing the speedy teams from the SEC or the Ground and Pound teams from the Big 10 that their good D would be able to make up for their almost anemic offense.

Funny, that's what everyone thought was going to happen when they played Texas....

I think they should start out with a 4 or 8 team playoff. As long as it's fair and they take the top 4 or top 8 I think that's good.

I would've loved to have seen TCU or Boise State take on a team like Alabama, Texas, Florida or Cincinnatti. But, they had to play each other instead. I still think TCU was the better team in that matchup against Boise State. Even though they lost. TCU just choked big time in that game. Especially their offense.

Some interesting rumblings going on today.

CU's closed door meeting, possibly looking at out clauses to escape to the pac 10 quickly if needed.

Some rumors about ND turning down the Big 10 and Nebraska to the Big 10 being a nearly done deal. I have no idea about the probability of this being true, but a few sources have mentioned that.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

On a controversial call. Nebraska won that game fair and square and the Big 12 refs gave it to Texas, because they would make more money having a team in the NC.

It's really too bad Nebraska didn't win that game. I was definitely pulling for them. Having lived in Nebraska I wished it would've happened. They just couldn't hold on.

On a controversial call. Nebraska won that game fair and square and the Big 12 refs gave it to Texas, because they would make more money having a team in the NC.

Ha. Did you even watch that game? He clearly threw the ball away with time left on the clock and that set up the game winner. Texas won it sir...

[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_w0GKLUNyoA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_w0GKLUNyoA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

Problem with the call is that the play doesn't end till the ball lands on the ground... It was so close, it shouldn't have been overturned. Colt McCoy got what was coming with him, and yes I watched the game. KSU would have owned Texas, just like we always do.

Problem with the call is that the play doesn't end till the ball lands on the ground... It was so close, it shouldn't have been overturned. Colt McCoy got what was coming with him, and yes I watched the game. KSU would have owned Texas, just like we always do.

No problem Watch the video again. You even have time to pause it after the ball hits the ground with 1 second on the clock. There is no debate to be made here sir, it was the correct call.

No problem Watch the video again. You even have time to pause it after the ball hits the ground with 1 second on the clock. There is no debate to be made here sir, it was the correct call.

How about the previous 24 incomplete passes in the game--did they also stop the clock at the precise moment? Why the inconsistency?

The clock is run by a human. Why not just take away all the human elements in games, and just call everything via cameras...

Rumors are flying all over the place regarding conference expansion, and our insider source at Fox Sports is reporting that the national Fox Sports network (not just Fox Southwest or Fox Pacific, etc.) is making a serious run at being a de facto Big 12 channel of sorts.

Some of the rumor details:

Fox has engaged the Big 12 AD’s with a plan for massive expansion on the current Big 12 television contract
Fox has proposed extending the current TV contract for up to 20-30 years, possibly through 2050
Fox has proposed a nationally televised ‘Big 12 Game of the Week’
The Big 12 would have to stay intact for the contract to be valid, with Nebraska a must-have (no word on Mizzou)
The deal would probably include some sort of alliance with the Pac-10 for ‘made for TV’ match-ups (think USC-OU every few years, Texas-Oregon, etc.)
This would effectively narrow the revenue gap between the Big 12 and the Big 10/SEC, making a Big 12 member team’s move to another conference not as attractive
What’s it all mean – options, options, options. Something else for Tom Osborne and Nebraska to consider. If the money problem is solved, then it’s an entirely different decision for the Huskers, one would think.

How about the previous 24 incomplete passes in the game--did they also stop the clock at the precise moment? Why the inconsistency?

The clock is run by a human. Why not just take away all the human elements in games, and just call everything via cameras...

I'll ignore for a second you just copy and pasted the info section of the video I posted off youtube. And last time I checked the previous 24 passes didn't hold the same amount of weight in determining the winner of the game as this 1. The refs are given the ability to correct human error in certain situations that will greatly impact the outcome of the game. This was one of those situations. They made the right call.

Judging by the way you speak of this I would have to assume you were fine with that umpire blowing a perfect game a week ago? Sometimes you should have the ability in certain situations to overturn human error.

I'll ignore for a second you just copy and pasted the info section of the video I posted off youtube. And last time I checked the previous 24 passes didn't hold the same amount of weight in determining the winner of the game as this 1. The refs are given the ability to correct human error in certain situations that will greatly impact the outcome of the game. This was one of those situations. They made the right call.

Judging by the way you speak of this I would have to assume you were fine with that umpire blowing a perfect game a week ago? Sometimes you should have the ability in certain situations to overturn human error.

I'm fine with him blowing the call, it was a bad call. But that is how sports are, we are slowly taking it away one piece at a time. I think replay is great for touchdowns, and fumbles, not much into anything else. It slows the game down.

Baseball should have replay for homeruns only. NHL only does it for goals and it works wonders. NBA only needs it for time on the clock at the end of a very close game.

There is growing speculation from other Big 12 members that Tuesday night's meeting among Colorado University leaders is to discuss the legality of bolting the Big 12 right now to accept an invitation from another conference, two sources told Orangebloods.com.

Ed Navarro

Could Colorado and Dan Hawkins already be preparing for a move to the Pac-10?
Colorado is expected to have a major announcement on Wednesday, sources said.

If the specualation is true, Colorado could be preparing to accept a bid from the Pac-10 Conference, which has targeted the Buffaloes for expansion.

The move would undercut an attempt by Baylor to sway the Texas Legislature into helping the Bears get an invite ahead of Colorado.

It would also guarantee that the Pac-10 probably pulls off at least one of its plans presented to league presidents and chancellors at meetings over the weekend in San Francisco.

One of the proposals made by Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott to league heads was to expand the league by two schools - Colorado and Utah.

As Orangebloods.com first reported last Thursday, Scott's preference is to expand the Pac-10 by six schools. That original list included Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado.

But Colorado, which has the same June 15 deadline to declare its intensions in the Big 12, could be looking to bolt now - whether the Big 12 holds together or not.

The question is could Colorado afford it?

The price to get out of the Big 12 is a $10 million buyout, and it would take a vote of nine members of the Big 12 to dissolve the league and eliminate any buyout penalties, according to one league source.

Sources say Colorado's athletic department is not in strong financial condition, and the school doesn't have the kind of money right now to buy its freedom.

What affect a decision by Colorado to leave the Big 12 would have on the other fragile fabric of college athletics right now would remain to be seen.

Scott didn't immediately return attempts to reach him by Orangebloods.com.

If Scott has extended an invitation to Colorado it could signal one of two things: that the tea leaves appear to be pointing toward Nebraska and Missouri leaving for the Big Ten already and that the Big 12 will come apart.

Or it could signal that the Pac-10 is unsure about the future of the Big 12 and wants to end up with some kind of expansion heading into its expected conference network negotiations in 2011.

The biggest lynchpin in potential college realignment appears to be in South Bend, Ind., right now.

And we could know that future in the next seven days.

Matt Cashore

Brian Kelly and ND officials have said how much the Irish value their independence.
In the next week, we could know if all the brilliant hustling by Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott was for naught.

If all the posturing toward the Big Ten by Nebraska and Missouri was for naught.

And if all the other preliminary conversations likely being had by the SEC as well as the ACC/Big East about how they might respond were for naught.

If Notre Dame moves into the Big Ten, and that conference closes ranks at 12 schools, college athletics would take a deep breath, take some Maalox and try to repair whatever damage has been done to the relationships with its co-workers.

If Notre Dame remains independent, it could be the first step towards complete upheaval.

And you thought Boise State's upset of Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl was big.

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten's plans told Orangebloods.com on Monday that Notre Dame is seriously considering the Big Ten, despite its cherished independence and lucrative contract with NBC/Comcast, because it fears four super conferences being formed without them.

"Notre Dame may be on the clock as well," the athletic director said, referring to the Irish's invitation from the Big Ten.

Orangebloods.com reported on Sunday that Notre Dame was seriously considering the Big Ten and that if the Irish agreed to join the league, the Big Ten would stop its expansion at one school.

OB reported that if Notre Dame and the Big Ten could get on the same page, Nebraska and Missouri would be left out of the Big Ten's plans, and the Big 12 would survive.

There would likely be three disgruntled members - Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado - and a disappointed visionary commissioner in the Pac-10. But the Big 12 would survive to see its cable TV package renegotiation in 2011.

But the longer we have to wait for white smoke to come out of the chimneys in South Bend, the more you start to wonder if Notre Dame will remain its own brand. Joe Schad of ESPN reported Monday that Notre Dame didn't appear budging.

If Notre Dame didn't budge, we'd learn if the Big Ten was ready to follow through on the move that could change college athletics forever - expanding by three or five (most likely including Nebraska, Missouri and some raiding of the Big East).

So we wait.

Each day gives Baylor another opportunity to marshal its political forces and gives Colorado another day to float silly scenarios like eyeing a jump to the Mountain West.

Each day gives Missouri and Nebraska fans more time to hope Notre Dame decides by June 15 to stand alone so they can say they finally stuck it to Texas.

The worst-case scenario for Nebraska would be to say no thanks to the Big 12, allow the Big 12 South schools to start negotiating with the Pac-10, only to see Notre Dame ultimately change its mind, land in the Big Ten, and leave Nebraska with the not-so-unthinkable scenario of joining Missouri, Colorado, Kansas and Kansas State in the Mountain West.

The Mountain West's decision to stand pat Monday was telling. Why make a commitment to Boise State right now, when that league, which is desperately trying to become a BCS conference, can wait a week and see if there are bigger trophies to be had.

In the mad dash for the Southeastern Conference to expand, it might be worth looking back 20 years to the last time the league went down this long and winding road.

When the league announced its expansion plans in 1990, once again Texas was the prettiest girl at the ball but rejected the SEC's overtures. Florida State was seriously courted and chose the ACC instead. The SEC ended up with Arkansas and South Carolina. So how did that turn out?

Since 1992, when the league expansion went into effect, has either Arkansas or South Carolina really brought anything to the dance? Instead of expanding by two or four, some have wondered if a better way of handling this would be addition by subtraction - starting with sending Arkansas and South Carolina back where they came from.

Take Arkansas ... please.

The Hogs did account for an NCAA basketball title in 1994 and a runner-up finish the following year under Nolan Richardson. But they really haven't been worth a flip in the sport since. In the last 10 years, the Hogs have won a grand total of one NCAA tournament game. Now, Arkansas is known for winning titles in cross country and indoor and outdoor track.

How about football? The Hogs have made three appearances in the SEC championship game - 1995, 2002 and 2006. The Hogs finished second in the SEC West in 2002 but Alabama was kept home because of NCAA probation. The Hogs are 0-3 in those title games, being outscored 102-34. Can you say not ready for prime time?

Arkansas hasn't been a total embarrassment during its SEC football run - nor has it really brought much to the table. No BCS appearances. Mostly, mediocrity. In 18 seasons, Arkansas has only posted a winning divisional record four times, based on actual results and excluding games later forfeited.

Oh, let us not forget the much hyped Arkansas visit to the Los Angeles Coliseum in 2005. How did the mighty SEC rep do against the top-ranked Trojans? The Hogs were slaughtered, 70-17. Arkansas was much improved in 2006 in the rematch at Fayetteville, only losing 50-14. Add it up and it spells USC 120, Arkansas 31.

South Carolina has been even more miserable in 18 years. The Gamecocks made it to the NCAA basketball tournament in 1997 when they had a break-out season, making the field as a No. 2 seed. What happened? The Gamecocks promptly suffered one of the most humiliating losses in modern NCAA history, losing in the first round to Coppin State, 78-65. Back again next year, the same thing happened, with Richmond knocking USC out in the first round. An NCAA appearance banner finally went back up again in 2004, and once again, a first-round knockout.

In football, the school has hired two Hall of Fame coaches in Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier. Both have done more with less.

In 18 seasons in the SEC, the Gamecocks have been to seven postseason bowls, the biggest being the Outback. Only three times have the Gamecocks posted a winning record in their division. In 18 years, how many times do you think the Gamecocks have gone north of winning eight games? Once.

The school has also managed the daily double of going 0-8 back to back in the SEC East in 1998 and 1999, a combined 1-21 during those years in all games.

And frankly, it is not like Arkansas and South Carolina have really brought television viewers to the SEC footprint. South Carolina ranks No. 24 among the largest states and Arkansas is at No. 32. Arkansas did give us a president - Bill Clinton - who was impeached but not convicted. South Carolina gave us a governor - Mark Sanford - who was nearly impeached.

So did the SEC make a good decision nearly 20 years ago when it settled for Arkansas and South Carolina?

Before answering, take a quick look at how the two who got away have done during this period in football.

Texas has won a BCS title and lost another to Alabama. In all, the Longhorns have made four BCS appearances. Also, since 1992, the Longhorns have finished in the top 10 in the final AP poll seven times.

And what about FSU?

Since shunning the SEC, FSU has won two national titles and played for No. 1 five times - including three straight BCS title games between 1998-2000. The Seminoles have also notched nine top-five finishes in the final AP poll during this period.

What does this prove? Well, it clearly shows the SEC lost badly when Texas and Florida State slipped away 20 years ago. Especially when you consider their population footprint -- Texas ranks No.2 and Florida is No. 4.

As for Arkansas and South Carolina, have they brought anything to the table? Not much, unless you considering taking up space a major accomplishment.

Rumor has it that Nebraska has the offical invite from the Big 10,
their regents have approved the move and official announcement from
the Corn should come tomorrow or Thursday.

Source is advising that the corn would start Big 10, er 11, er 12,
or whatever they call themselves next season (2011/2012). Doing so
the Big 10 is cutting the corn in on a full share of the network /
tv revenue to compensate the full lose of 2010 Big 12 TV revenue
share.

I haven't heard yet if the Big 10 is adding anyone else immediately
or waiting to push the hand of Notre Dame.

So, I guess this is the end of our time in the Big 12? What does
everyone think? Will the Big 12 survive replacing Nebraska or does
it fall apart. If it does fall apart, I hope we can find ourselves
in the Pac10 where we belong.

Rumor has it that Nebraska has the offical invite from the Big 10,
their regents have approved the move and official announcement from
the Corn should come tomorrow or Thursday.

Source is advising that the corn would start Big 10, er 11, er 12,
or whatever they call themselves next season (2011/2012). Doing so
the Big 10 is cutting the corn in on a full share of the network /
tv revenue to compensate the full lose of 2010 Big 12 TV revenue
share.

I haven't heard yet if the Big 10 is adding anyone else immediately
or waiting to push the hand of Notre Dame.

So, I guess this is the end of our time in the Big 12? What does
everyone think? Will the Big 12 survive replacing Nebraska or does
it fall apart. If it does fall apart, I hope we can find ourselves
in the Pac10 where we belong.

There's actually a post on Husker Board (free) right now from a poster who is known by many to work in their athletic department. He claims that Nebraska will accept the Big X invite this weekend, and they won't announce until Monday to give Notre Dame a chance to accept also. If that happens, then Missouri would also be invited along with the Irish to round out to 14 teams. If Notre Dame refuses, then Missouri would not be invited. Again, no idea how reliable this poster is.

There's actually a post on Husker Board (free) right now from a poster who is known by many to work in their athletic department. He claims that Nebraska will accept the Big X invite this weekend, and they won't announce until Monday to give Notre Dame a chance to accept also. If that happens, then Missouri would also be invited along with the Irish to round out to 14 teams. If Notre Dame refuses, then Missouri would not be invited. Again, no idea how reliable this poster is.

Expect an announcement as soon as the next couple days, NU is waiting for the right time to announce. Deals have been made and it has been voted on. The wait might have to do with ND and MU.

This is from a worker within the Athletic Department, one degree of separation from me.

Then there is inside knowledge of KU and KSU getting an invite from the SEC, as the SEC is looking to up their Bball profile.