College Football Conference Expansion

thunda123

Premium Supporter
Feb 7, 2009
Arizona U.S.A.
Anybody else a college football fan? All this expansion talk is crazy! I'm not sure any of this will actually go down but I guess there is some substance to some of these rumors.

It would fit though. KU and KSU would be lookin for a home. Both could bring big help in basketball to a conference that needs it.

I just don't see how the SEC cares about basketball at a time like this. I don't see why they would invite those two schools when they don't bring a ton of revenue with them. Those two schools would be getting a piece of the revenue pie and I don't know if I could see them wanting to do that.

But maybe.

---------- Post added at 09:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:49 PM ----------

Just a curious thought here. If you're a school that is or ends up in one of these super conferences that has struggled in football already, you can't be too happy to end up in the same conference as say USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, Ok state, tech etc.

I guess what I'm saying is....if you're Arizona and Arizona state coaches...you can't be liking this. Good luck to them being successful in their division.:hilarious:

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:52 PM ----------

Omaha paper now reporting news about Nebraska to Big 10 could also come by friday. Some interesting comments by NU AD Tom Osbourne also. Looks like this may really happen.

Cali's school may not have a home soon. Nah, I still think TExas and the other five stay in the big 12. I still think Texas was/is bluffing about going to the pac 10.

Last edited:
If Nebraska and Mizzou leave, Texas and the other schools are gone. The leftovers from the Big 12 will then get invited to the MWC with Boise State.

I would love to see KSU in the MWC, as we would tear it up everywhere, but would also love to see the SEC, as there is some good tailgating down there!

[/COLOR]Omaha paper now reporting news about Nebraska to Big 10 could also come by friday. Some interesting comments by NU AD Tom Osbourne also. Looks like this may really happen.

Cali's school may not have a home soon. Nah, I still think TExas and the other five stay in the big 12. I still think Texas was/is bluffing about going to the pac 10.

I could See Mizzou and Nebraska jumping ship to the B10 and the Pac 10 picking up Colorado and looking for a 12th. The big 12 drops to 9. The B10 would look to the east to make an even 14 pac 12 is happy with 12 and it stops at that.

Last edited:
University of Nebraska regent Kent Schroeder told the Journal Star Wednesday morning that there's a planned executive conference call at 1:15 p.m. this afternoon.
Asked if he believed they would be discussing the realignment issue, he said: "I anticipate that's what it will be."
The executive call will not involve all board members, just the Executive Committee, which consists of board chair Bob Phares and fellow regents Bob Whitehouse, Schroeder and Howard Hawks.
"It may be the purpose of this conference call today is for (University of Nebraska) President (J.B.) Milliken to get some input from the executive committee as if we do talk about (conference realignment) in closed session, who do we want to be there?
"Is Chancellor (Harvey) Perlman and athletic director (Tom) Osborne enough, or do you want to talk to other people? One of the things I've been reading about in the newspaper, and frankly that's all I know about is what I've read, is it's possible the research dollars would increase coming to the University of Nebraska because the Big Ten is more prestigious than the Big 12 in that regard. So I might want to have (vice chancellor for research and economic development) Prem Paul there and ask him that question."
While Schroeder suspects that the regents might talk about the issue in closed session during Friday's regents' meeting, he noted that there are no votes that come out of such sessions.
"Obviously any vote is going to be made in an open session," he said. "The question that will come today is: Suppose we have this closed session and come out of closed session, is it an item that needs to be advertised on the agenda?"
An item can be added to the meeting's agenda as late as 24 hours in advance — in this case, 1 p.m. Thursday.
NU regent Chuck Hassebrook told the Associated Press this morning he expects conference affiliation will be added to the meeting agenda.
Schroeder said there has been no previous meetings between regents about the topic of conference realignment.

A source involved in expansion talks believes that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany dropped a significant clue when he said Sunday that the league "could act and act again."

With Nebraska facing a Big 12 loyalty ultimatum and eager to learn by Friday whether it will be asked to apply for Big Ten membership, the source believes that Big Ten expansion will occur "in steps."

"Jim is getting his hand forced, and he doesn't like it," the source told the Tribune.

But Delany might have no other choice if he wants to reel in Nebraska.

Another source with close ties to Big Ten officials suggested the league wants to add Nebraska and stop there - at 12 teams.

An executive at a Big 12 school told the Omaha World-Herald he expects Nebraska to become a member of the Big Ten as early as Friday.

Delany declined to reply to inquiries from the Tribune on Wednesday morning.

Both sources believe that financial terms are now being discussed between the Big Ten and Nebraska. Specifically, when would the Cornhuskers get a full share of the league's revenue pie? Would it be in their first year of membership - or would they have to accept a reduced rate until the third year?

As for Notre Dame, sources remain split on whether the school is in talks with the Big Ten.

Athletic director Jack Swarbrick told the New York Times that "we have not entered into discussions with anyone."

But he said that Monday night. And things can change in 36 hours.

Talk about it in Inside the 40 Acres
Two executives in the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com Wednesday Nebraska does not yet have an invitation to the Big Ten. Those executives said Nebraska will not leave the Big 12 unless it has that invitation.

But there may be one coming.

Dan Beebe and the Big 12 appear to be at the mercy of Nebraska and other outside forces.
According to a story by Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald, a respected reporter covering the Big 12 for years, Nebraska is expected to leave for the Big Ten as early as Friday, according to information provided to Barfknecht by an executive at another Big 12 school.

That is the day Nebraska's Board of Regents is meeting in Lincoln. That timeline also seems to jibe with comments made by Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne on his monthly radio show on the Husker Sports Network "to get things together in the next few days."

But Osborne acknowledged, "There's a lot of information we really don't have right now."

Like an invitation?

Here's his entire quote:

"I suppose there is quite a bit I can speculate on, but as you and I talked before the show came on there's a lot of information we really don't have right now," Osborne said.

"Hopefully we'll get things put together in the next few days. Anything I would say regarding Nebraska's position or other schools in the Big 12 right now would be pure speculation at this point and I don't think that's very helpful. As much as I know fans don't like it, I think we need to put certain things off limits.

"I think before too long, I don't know exactly what that time frame is, but we'll be able to put this thing to bed because I'm getting tired of it."

BIG 12's FINAL SUPPER ON JUNE 14?

Two different executives in the Big 12 confirmed to Orangebloods.com Wednesday morning the hard deadline for Nebraska, Missouri, Colorado and the entire Big 12 to pledge their allegiance to each other is Monday, June 14.

A high-level executive at a Big 12 institution said there have been informal conversations about who to add to the Big 12 if schools start to leave. Those schools have included BYU and Air Force.

But that same executive as well as others in the Big 12 have told Orangebloods.com the conference will not survive if Nebraska leaves - no matter who else stays or goes.

If Nebraska were to stay in the Big 12 and Missouri and Colorado were to leave, for example, the sense is the Big 12 could attempt to add schools like BYU and Air Force to the Big 12 North and move ahead.

TEXAS AND TEXAS A&M MEET THURSDAY

In a related development, a legislative source with knowledge of Texas A&M said officials from A&M and Texas will meet on Thursday to discuss all the goings on and to make sure they are on the same page if the Big 12 falls apart. The source said, however, that Texas and Texas A&M remain steadfast in lobbying for the Big 12 to stay together.

NOTRE DAME'S CALL

The future of the Big 12 appears to continue to hinge on the Big Ten's deliberations with Notre Dame. The Big Ten has promised Notre Dame it will stop its expansion at 12 schools if Notre Dame agrees to finally forgo its independence and become part of a conference, an athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten has told Orangebloods.com.

Notre Dame is apparently locked in a battle among its Board of Trustees about what to do. There are some who fear the Irish being left out of the formation of what could well become four, super conferences in college athletics. That could cost Notre Dame its access to a BCS bid.

The Big Ten has also given indications it will go east and possibly raid anywhere from one to three schools from the Big East, where Notre Dame plays its other sports, leaving the Irish scrambling even more.

In the ultimate irony, the only way Notre Dame may be able to avoid the super conference scenario is by doing what it least wants to do: give up its independence and lucrative NBC/Comcast contract and join a conference.

Sources have told Orangebloods.com the Big Ten would not be handing out any more invitations if Notre Dame agrees to join the league. An AD source reaffirmed to Orangebloods.com Wednesday that "there is a timeline involved" between Notre Dame and the Big Ten.

Joe Schad of ESPN reported this week Notre Dame doesn't appear to be budging.

The longer there is silence about Notre Dame's intentions, the more reason to believe Notre Dame could remain on its own.

COLORADO'S BAD TIMING

In another development, one source inside the Big 12 told Orangebloods.com Tuesday Colorado was expected to have a major announcement as early as Wednesday. But that announcement turned out to be with regard to scholarship reductions for the Colorado football and basketball programs because of substandard NCAA APR (Academic Progress Rates).

According to information obtained by OB, Colorado will have scholarships reduced for football and basketball when the report is released by the NCAA Wednesday.

CU is the only BCS football program to be sanctioned with scholarship reductions and is one of only two BCS basketball programs to get sanctioned, OB has learned.

The timing is poor considering the school's possible courtship with some of the more high-minded academic institutions in the Pac-10.

The Boulder Daily Camera reported a regents meeting at CU Tuesday night produced nothing more than legal advice about different scenarios. CU officials said they have not yet received an invitation from the Pac-10, according to the report.

Despite that claim, speculation continues to swirl that Colorado could be preparing to accept a bid from the Pac-10 Conference, which has targeted the Buffaloes for expansion.

As Orangebloods.com first reported last Thursday, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott's preference is to expand the Pac-10 by six schools. That original list included Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Colorado.

BAYLOR'S FIGHT FACING RESISTANCE?

Since that report legislators and lobbyists with loyalty to Baylor have launched an all-out effort in the Texas Legislature to ensure that Baylor remains with the rest of the Big 12 South if it were to move to the Pac-10.

One top source close to the possible merger between the Pac-10 and six Big 12 schools said some schools in the Pac-10, including California-Berkeley, have a real issue with adding an institution with religious ties like Baylor to the conference.

GOVERNMENT INTERVENTION?

It has been expressed to Orangebloods.com by a top collegiate executive that any movement toward four, 16-team super conferences will be met with resistance by Congress.

The executive said that could be bad news for college athletics because Congress has already taken some cursory looks at the fact athletic departments enjoy a tax-exempt status as part of their universities.

The executive said if it appears the rich are getting richer in college athletics, there will be a hard look at whether to take away the tax exempt status of athletic departments.

"And it won't just be Orin Hatch (a member of the U.S. Senate Finance Committee from Utah and longtime BCS critic) looking into this," the source said.

Stay tuned.

Official: Nebraska to B10; Texas and co. to P10?

A source close to the Nebraska Board of Regents told Orangebloods.com the regents met informally Wednesday and have agreed to move to the Big Ten and that a formal announcement Nebraska is leaving will come Friday.

Sources close to Texas, Texas A&M and Texas Tech have suggested to Orangebloods.com over the last week that if Nebraska leaves, the Big 12 can't be saved.

A Fox television report out of Ohio said Nebraska now has an invitation from the Big Ten.

One of the reasons given for Nebraska's importance to the league is because the relationship between Missouri and the rest of the Big 12 has soured beyond repair.

And to complicate matters for Missouri, the Tigers appear to be falling down the list of priorities for the Big Ten.

An athletic director with knowledge of the Big Ten said, "Missouri is getting cold shoulder from Big Ten."

Joe Schad of ESPN reported Wednesday that the Big Ten list of interest for expansion goes like this: 1) Notre Dame 2) Nebraska 3) Rutgers and/or Maryland.

Associated Press
Dan Beebe and the Big 12 appear to be at the mercy of Nebraska and other outside forces.
According to a story by Lee Barfknecht of the Omaha World-Herald, a respected reporter covering the Big 12 for years, Nebraska is expected to leave for the Big Ten as early as Friday, according to information provided to Barfknecht by an executive at another Big 12 school.

That is the day Nebraska's regents have a formal meeting in Lincoln.

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne on his monthly radio show on the Husker Sports Network said he hoped "to get things together in the next few days."

But Osborne acknowledged, "There's a lot of information we really don't have right now."

Here's his entire quote:

"I suppose there is quite a bit I can speculate on, but as you and I talked before the show came on there's a lot of information we really don't have right now," Osborne said.

"Hopefully we'll get things put together in the next few days. Anything I would say regarding Nebraska's position or other schools in the Big 12 right now would be pure speculation at this point and I don't think that's very helpful. As much as I know fans don't like it, I think we need to put certain things off limits.

"I think before too long, I don't know exactly what that time frame is, but we'll be able to put this thing to bed because I'm getting tired of it."

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1092612

i dont have a link, but i according to the fan boards at scout.com, it is being reported that texas, OK, OKST, CU, A&M, and tech are joining the P10

wow

Nebraska_Big10_Bound.gif

KMAN expanding on Fox Sports . . . saying Fox is looking for a long term deal, with a Fox TV Big 12 game of the week, NOT Fox Sports Net, but Fox Network TV Big 12 GotW . . . but . . . it supposedly also means Big 12 has to stay together. Also includes Big 12/Pac-10 scheduling alliance. They say such a deal would put Big 12 very near the TV payout levels of Big 10 and SEC.

WFNI in Indianapolis just reported....... that ND Rutgers Maryland and Syracuse are Big Ten bound also. The excitement may just be beginning with Nebraska.

Six schools being invited by Pac-10 - TX, A&M, Tech, OU, Ok State and Colo - expected to accept invitations, begin play in Pac-16 in 2012

the past two days have been the most exciting sports days in the summer that i can remember.

nba finals are going on, as well as stanley cup finals.

brewers get a walk-off win against the cubs last night

strasburg pitches 14 k's w/ 0 walks in his debut, electric atmosphere in washington.

college football news with this, and the usc sanctions, and masoli getting kicked off the team.

i cant keep myself away from espn right now

the past two days have been the most exciting sports days in the summer that i can remember.

nba finals are going on, as well as stanley cup finals.

brewers get a walk-off win against the cubs last night

strasburg pitches 14 k's w/ 0 walks in his debut, electric atmosphere in washington.

college football news with this, and the usc sanctions, and masoli getting kicked off the team.

i cant keep myself away from espn right now

Yep no gaming for me. Watching the Stanley Cup Finals right now.

also the great news of KU getting investigated by the IRS and FBI with the NCAA AGAIN!.. lol