COVID-19 CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK

Status
Not open for further replies.
We went to our local Costco to buy toilet paper, as we do when needed, but they were sold out. Seems silly that people are buying so much toilet paper and bottled water. It's not like the tap water is contaminated, etc. People need to calm down.
The italians made the mistake to bring whole cities in quarantine - what makes no sense, because new infected people get in fear to be quarantined as well and don`t report an incident if they are infected. But the pictures of it were seen everywhere and caused
panic. In Germany there are still not enough respirators and protection suits for medics, because they sold them all to the chinese as the virus broke out and now they don`t have enough.

I still think they don`t do enough prevention, especially when it comes to flights and vacancies with planes. They should make tests on all air travelers to keep the pandemic in a manageable framework. Covid-19 is grassing in Europe at the time and they have a very condensed air traffic with flights to everywhere in the world - which is a big problem I think.
Here a graphic for it:
flights.jpg

Reactions: el barto
COVID-19 is deadlier than the flu, WHO says

The disease caused by the novel coronavirus, known officially as COVID-19, is more than three times as deadly as the season flu, according to the head of the World Health Organization.

"Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died," WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference in Geneva on Tuesday. "By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected."

Although the newly identified virus does not spread as easily as the flu, it causes more severe illness and there are currently no vaccines or therapeutics.

"While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity," Tedros said. "That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease."

Reactions: MM3
They should make tests on all air travelers to keep the pandemic in a manageable framework.
Actually I heard this on world news that the US airports have heat sensors setup and are scanning everyone that comes off the planes as well as borders and if they have a high heat signature they pull you to the side and run that thermometer gun across your forehead and if you have a fever then your quarantined and examined. The virus supposedly is not transferable unless you have a fever. Although if your a new host to the virus you may not show symptoms yet and not have a fever therefor go undetected through the airports. This is the main issue that they are facing and having trouble keeping it from spreading. What needs to happen is all major airports need to be closed worldwide and get this sh!t under wraps.

COVID-19 is deadlier than the flu, WHO says

The disease caused by the novel coronavirus, known officially as COVID-19, is more than three times as deadly as the season flu, according to the head of the World Health Organization.

"Globally, about 3.4% of reported COVID-19 cases have died," WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said at a press conference in Geneva on Tuesday. "By comparison, seasonal flu generally kills far fewer than 1% of those infected."

Although the newly identified virus does not spread as easily as the flu, it causes more severe illness and there are currently no vaccines or therapeutics.

"While many people globally have built up immunity to seasonal flu strains, COVID-19 is a new virus to which no one has immunity," Tedros said. "That means more people are susceptible to infection, and some will suffer severe disease."

It looks like the death rate is increasing. In the beggining, some said 0.5 - 2%, but now it's 3.4%? Or it could be that the outbreak was under-reported and now everything is becoming clearer. I read that there may be as much as 1.5 million infected in China, even though China claims about 93,000 are infected...

Reactions: Stygian
Actually I heard this on world news that the US airports have heat sensors setup and are scanning everyone that comes off the planes as well as borders and if they have a high heat signature they pull you to the side and run that thermometer gun across your forehead and if you have a fever then your quarantined and examined. The virus supposedly is not transferable unless you have a fever. Although if your a new host to the virus you may not show symptoms yet and not have a fever therefor go undetected through the airports. This is the main issue that they are facing and having trouble keeping it from spreading. What needs to happen is all major airports need to be closed worldwide and get this sh!t under wraps.
That is what I meant - they search for easy solutions, but it would be better to bring a heavy cut and test them all or at least some of them (especially kids, because they can have it without symptoms) - it is an enormous effort, but wtf the USA and Europe are the richest regions in the world and I think they could handle it, but they put their economic interests in the foregound and have enormeous costs afterwards. Making no panic is the one thing - the other thing is to react there where it makes sense and I think ,here in this case, they could do more.

Reactions: Lone Crusader
The italians made the mistake to bring whole cities in quarantine - what makes no sense, because new infected people get in fear to be quarantined as well and don`t report an incident if they are infected. But the pictures of it were seen everywhere and caused
panic. In Germany there are still not enough respirators and protection suits for medics, because they sold them all to the chinese as the virus broke out and now they don`t have enough.

Italians somehow messed this up, in Europe. most cases here in Finland are people who have recently visited Italy.

I still think they don`t do enough prevention, especially when it comes to flights and vacancies with planes. They should make tests on all air travelers to keep the pandemic in a manageable framework. Covid-19 is grassing in Europe at the time and they have a very condensed air traffic with flights to everywhere in the world - which is a big problem I think.
Here a graphic for it:
View attachment 463927
Pretty sure this map was outed recently for going viral despite being really misleading. Heard through the BBC that this map is about a decade old, and just shows the extent of the global air network so doesn't really give us a useful indication of how the virus has spread through air travel at all.
This to me sharing pointless things like this is where the media is scaremongering the reach and severity of this virus.

We went to our local Costco to buy toilet paper, as we do when needed, but they were sold out. Seems silly that people are buying so much toilet paper and bottled water. It's not like the tap water is contaminated, etc. People need to calm down.
I bought extra TP, mainly because I saw that there is a toilet paper crisis (as they put it) in seattle. I figure its an item that will get used eventually, but if this crap comes to my City I dont want to have to be out in the masses fighting to get some TP. Just stock up now .... I've dealt with and lived through Hurricane stuff when back in Texas (no longer there) so I know all about the hysteria and it just sucks to have to be hunting for things we need. Rather hunt for those I dont. Steelbooks. Ha. :p

"President Donald Trump on Wednesday night spun a web of theories minimizing the coronavirus' threat to Americans, accusing the World Health Organization of dispensing inaccurate facts about the outbreak and suggesting that those with the disease would be safe going to work."

Well sure he thinks that. When he heard about the novel Coronavirus he went into every bookstore and library he could think of and couldn't find it.

Reactions: MM3
Yeah it doesn't hurt to stock up on essentials, that's all me and my family are doing. There limiting a whole bunch of different stuff at the grocery store of different stuff like toilet paper no less, Clorox disinfectant wipes to three per customer and lots of other things too. In fact they were out of a lot of stuff, at least I got pretty much everything that we would need. You guys are right though at how bad the media has the public scared straight right now, if everyone would just look at the WHO website they'd get the actual facts of what's going on.

Pretty sure this map was outed recently for going viral despite being really misleading. Heard through the BBC that this map is about a decade old, and just shows the extent of the global air network so doesn't really give us a useful indication of how the virus has spread through air travel at all.
This to me sharing pointless things like this is where the media is scaremongering the reach and severity of this virus.
"very condensed air traffic with flights to everywhere in the world" - "Here a graphic for it:" I think it is clear what the graphic is about, but may be I shouldn`t have mentioned in the same phrase with the grassing of the virus. Sorry for that.
The graphic is supposed to underline my point about less control of the flight traffic in Europe in relation to the pandemic and the risks, that result from it. Germany still isn`t doing controls, although they had to, but they`re heavy stressed, because of the migration crisis escalating on the Turkey and the Greece borders. Probably it is too much at the same time. And btw- there cannot be validate data about the spreading of a virus, that was found only one and a half months ago.

Last edited:
"very condensed air traffic with flights to everywhere in the world" - "Here a graphic for it:" I think it is clear what the graphic is about, but may be I shouldn`t have mentioned in the same phrase with the grassing of the virus. Sorry for that.
The graphic is supposed to underline my point about less control of the flight traffic in Europe in relation to the pandemic and the risks, that result from it. Germany still isn`t doing controls, although they had to, but they`re heavy stressed, because of the migration crisis escalating on the Turkey and the Greece borders. Probably it is too much at the same time. And btw- there cannot be validate data about the spreading of a virus, that was found only one and a half months ago.
I mean - the spreading of a virus trough air-travelling

Sorry, I didn't mean to completely nit-pick your phrasing, I just wanted to help people be aware when that image in particular was used as an example of how misinformation has been spread recently. Yes, it does sound like there hasn't been massive clamps down on flight traffic in Europe.
I do agree we cannot have valid data about a month and a half old virus, still worth checking out the WHO map which is quite detailed and does break down to a degree how it's currently spreading.

• Thanks
Reactions: komor
Mondo has announced cancellation of the Godzilla show as well House Party 5 due to corona virus concerns.

Godzilla items will have an online release and saw a post from an artist his Mondo HP will be available through his store at some point.

• Wow
Reactions: Lone Crusader
This is bad, here in the US the number of outbreaks is pretty much doubling each day and we have reports that in either 5 or 7 more states have been reported of having infections now. This is far from over. It's bad news for older generations, well... I'll be 51 next month and my immune system isn't what it used to be. With a plethora of medical issues I stand a good chance of catching this if it comes my way and fighting it off not so good. I am very scared at this point. :ohno: :dead:

Status
Not open for further replies.