Craft Beer - Post Your Pics!

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
I can't believe there isn't a thread in here strictly for Beer. Well now there is.

So I'm going to Phoenix and this store is about 3 miles from the house I am renting. I need some recommendations of beer they sell. I'm looking for Hoppy beers please. I've had a few of them they sell but not allot. HELP ME OUT!

Thanks

BoB

is it only up north? i got a place I can check next time im in town if not.

I had a Roswell NM Alien Amber Beer last week. Not bad. :) really cool bottle.

alien_amber.jpg

That is a cool bottle. Surly used to be in several midwest states, but from what it looks like, grew too fast, so they've pulled back to MN only (possibly WI and MI). I've only tried Furious, which is an agressively hopped American IPA. If the rest of their stuff is as good as Furious, I want to try it all. I've already decided that the first beer I'll make once I start kegging my beer is a clone kit of Surly Furious from Northern Brewer. It's that good.

I believe Surly is only in MN. I get it now and again through trades and have not had a bad beer from them yet. Abrasive (whenever its released) is a must try beer in IMO. Darkness is being released in October at Darkness Day. Its pretty hard to get though. I have a bottle of 2008 and 2010 Darkness right now. One day I will drink them. If I ever get any extra surly beers in a trade Ill try to send them your way OFF.

FYI everybody, Its INTERNATIONAL IPA DAY so its time to break out the IPA's. Tonight I drink Shorts Bludgeon Yer Eye PA!!

FYI everybody, Its INTERNATIONAL IPA DAY so its time to break out the IPA's. Tonight I drink Shorts Bludgeon Yer Eye PA!!

guess i have to join ya :p

drinking laguintas little sumpin ale

not exactly IPA, but its the closest thing thats in my fridge right now :scat:

---------- Post added at 08:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

Thats a pretty nice list of breweries there. And $40 isnt a bad price. Thats about how much I paid for the festival I went too last weekend. I only got 15 samples before I had to purchase more tokens. But I was hammered after 5 hours. I had an extra hour due to me being an MBG Enthusiast Member, or I would of had 4hrs. Its hard to say what breweries I would go to though until I see a list. Bells is a good brewery but unless they are bringing some big guns (Black Note, The Wild One, Oracle, etc) I wouldnt go visit for beers I can get in the store. The list of breweries that I would visit would be.

Bells
Grand Teton
Rock Bottom
Upland (only for their Lambics)
Left Hand
North Coast
Southern Tier
New Holland
Lagunitas
Central Waters
Tyranena

That would be the list until I could see what each brewery is bringing.

brewfest was awesome. didn't drink as much as i prolly should, but i was post call that day, working on like 4 hours of sleep so i didnt want to push myself, lol

these were my favs from the festival:

Southern Tier Porter
Laguintas Little Sumpin Sumpin Ale (you were RIGHT Off!)
New Holland Mad Hatter
Left Hand Milk Stout

was a little disappointed that they didn't have more of specialties/seasonal beers there, but maybe thats what you get with the VIP tickets. still had a blast

When you ship beer, do you tell them what it is .. like how its a liquid or not?

I always ship through fedex and they never ask so I never tell. Since it isnt ok to ship alcohol if something breaks they will either toss the package or ship it back to you and let you know whats up. Shipping through USPS is a no no. And UPS always gets nosey. I have had them ask me if they could open up my package to see if everything is packaged ok.

I believe Surly is only in MN. I get it now and again through trades and have not had a bad beer from them yet. Abrasive (whenever its released) is a must try beer in IMO. Darkness is being released in October at Darkness Day. Its pretty hard to get though. I have a bottle of 2008 and 2010 Darkness right now. One day I will drink them. If I ever get any extra surly beers in a trade Ill try to send them your way OFF.

:scat: :oohyeah: Just let me know what you want in return. I've got good access to Schlafly, O'Fallon, Boulevard, and Charleville (Ale Mucho Hoppo right now with Box of Chocolates in Feb). BoC is on you wants list, so I figured I'd go ahead and pick one up for you when it comes out.

When you ship beer, do you tell them what it is .. like how its a liquid or not?

FedEx doesn't ask. I print the label off, and drop it off at their location. I've usually got enough packing you can't even hear the liquid. I also wrap it all up in a couple plastic bags in case something breaks.

Alright folks, let's add some pics to this thread!!! So here is the mix n match I just bought ...

anything you recognize?

DSCF8681.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a cool bottle. Surly used to be in several midwest states, but from what it looks like, grew too fast, so they've pulled back to MN only (possibly WI and MI). I've only tried Furious, which is an agressively hopped American IPA. If the rest of their stuff is as good as Furious, I want to try it all. I've already decided that the first beer I'll make once I start kegging my beer is a clone kit of Surly Furious from Northern Brewer. It's that good.

Mobius shoudl be able to help you then.

If we can ever get him to stop delivering babies and visit the site!

CHUCKED

ill check my local provider to see if they have any. dont think ive come across it, but they have a ton of stuff so easily could have missed it.

otherwise my sister lives outside of minneapolis, im sure she could track it down if i asked her. might be visiting her in a couple months as well.

My recent box of whales I traded for. All very diffcult to find.

-2005 Cuvee de Tomme (Beer brewed at Lost Abbey but this version was brewed at Russian River)
-Drie Fonteinen Hommage (last brewed in 2007)
-Russian River Beatification (Batch 3)
-Surly Darkness 2008
-03, 05, 06 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. (03 was never distributed but a small amount was released at the brewery).

Cheers!!

264032_10150691003310231_711825230_19260611_3801152_n.jpg

Does anyone have access to Surly beers (Splax, Mobius, someone up north)? I would really like to get some Furious, Darkness, Surlyfest, Smoke, Bender, and/or Coffee Bender.

my sister said she wouldnt mind picking some up. the only catch is that she doesn't want to have to ship it.

soooo, i can get you whatever you want, but it might be awhile before i see her. im visiting her in end of september, so it could be a month and a half before i can get my hands on some. she did say she might visit my parents, who live a lot closer to me, so it could be earlier than that.

anyways. if want me to, it wouldnt be a problem, it would just take time.

and you'd have to instruct me on how to pack and ship this stuff, lol. i dont mind doing it or anything, i just need to know how to get it done :)

EDIT:

so i just checked their website, and the availability of some of the beers you listed is different.

surlyfest is available in september, so that wouldnt be a problem
darkness is october, so maybe i could find some of that too
smoke is november, so i could probably have her buy some and store it till i see her around christmas.

Last edited:
here my recent score:

left hand milk stout
laguintas little sumpin sumpin ale
tyranena dirty old man imperial rye porter

attachment.php

sorry, its a little blurry... :smashed:

Attachments

• IMAG0152.jpg
    IMAG0152.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 91
looks good guys! Anyone ever heard of Woodcut or Rogue beers? That Woodcut was $25.99 a bottle!

oh yah, and this was me at brewfest last weekend. meant to put this up earlier

attachment.php

i look pretty tired, thats what happens when you work 7am-7am the day/night before and then go drink beer for 4 hours :hilarious:

Attachments

• IMG_1815.jpg
    IMG_1815.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 93
Here's some pics of what I mentioned...

Here's some pics of that Wood Cut and Rogue ... anyone ever seen these? any good?

Attachments

• 0806111559.jpg
    0806111559.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 0806111559a.jpg
    0806111559a.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 102
My recent pick ups. I bought Bludgeon Yer Eye earlier this week and drank all of that haha. I picked up Beach Wheat tonight and will probably drink one shortly. The growler from Kuhnhenn is their Tangerine Play in the Hay, which is an American Wild Ale. The aroma is fantastic. Unfortunately I probably wont be drinking that i got it for a trade buddy out in Washington.

IMAG0094.jpg

Here's some pics of that Wood Cut and Rogue ... anyone ever seen these? any good?

I have had Odell's Woodcut before and it was good I just cant remember what #'s I have had. As for Rouge IMO and a lot of other craft beer drinkers they are very overrated. I see Sierra Nevada Ovila and New Belgium Grand Cru Abbey Ale those are pretty good.