Craft Beer - Post Your Pics!

Glen-BoB

Grampie Blu-Clan
Jan 28, 2009
Dartmouth, NS, CaNaDa
I can't believe there isn't a thread in here strictly for Beer. Well now there is.

So I'm going to Phoenix and this store is about 3 miles from the house I am renting. I need some recommendations of beer they sell. I'm looking for Hoppy beers please. I've had a few of them they sell but not allot. HELP ME OUT!

Thanks

BoB

Beer trading

Anyone here ever trade beer? I've joined a local group (http://stlhops.com), and aside from the usual beer talk, there's a trading section like we have here at HDN. So far, I've done two trades and I think I came out ahead on both.

Trade 1 - two bottles of KBS for:
2 bottles of Dogfish Head's Palo Santo Marron
1 bottle of Dogfish Head's 90 minute IPA

Trade 2 - two bottles of KBS for:
1 can of Surly Furious (less then 2 weeks old)
1 bottle of 3 Floyds Gumballhead
1 bottle of 3 Floyds Alpha King
1 bottle of Pliny the Elder (the third highest rated beer on http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular)

I think I did fairly well.

He picked the Pliny up off of a trade, and he's thinking about taking a day trip to 3 Floyds later this summer. I might join him and bring some home. If I go, do you want me to pick some up for you?

off you got the,better end of that deal. those are all amazing beers. how fresh was the PTE? I trade all the time. I have a package arriving tomorrow. pretty good trade too.

I'm not sure how old Pliny is. I noticed on the bottle that you aren't supposed to age it, and the guy I got it from said that he got a couple in a trade, so I'm probably going to tear into it tonight to avoid the age issue.

I just found a co-worker that wants to do that road trip. I mentioned it to him, and he said that he thinks he's been there before. While he was there he had a Dark something or other. EEK! I let him know that Dark Lord is one of the most sought after beers out there. He just laughed.

Splax, what are you getting on your most recent trade?

I'm not sure how old Pliny is. I noticed on the bottle that you aren't supposed to age it, and the guy I got it from said that he got a couple in a trade, so I'm probably going to tear into it tonight to avoid the age issue.

I just found a co-worker that wants to do that road trip. I mentioned it to him, and he said that he thinks he's been there before. While he was there he had a Dark something or other. EEK! I let him know that Dark Lord is one of the most sought after beers out there. He just laughed.

Splax, what are you getting on your most recent trade?

If you look at the PTE bottle there should be a bottled on date. And no reason to age any IPA, the fresher the better.

FFF is an awesome place to go to!!! Not a bad beer from them. I was there in april for the Darklord release and just cracked a bottle with my buddy the other day. I also was lucky enough to win a chance to purchase one of 4 different variants of DL. There was Darklord De Meurte (aged with chiles), Brandy Barrel Aged, Brandy Barrel Aged with Vanilla Beans, and Pappy Van Winkle Aged Darklord. I bought the PVW version. That ***** cost me $50 haha.

I received in my package today:

Great Lakes Barrel Aged Blackout Stout
Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Vanilla Stout
Boulevard Rye-on-Rye
Hair of the Dog - Cherry Adam from the Wood
and as extras the guy sent me some Surly Furious, Surly Bitter Brewer, and Olvalde Farm The Auroch's Horn. Drinking some Surly tonight for sure.

Cheers

Last edited:
I went after the Surly Furious last night too. Wow that was good!

As long as I read the date right, my Pliny was bottled on Memorial Day weekend of this year. I'll drink that one either tonight or Monday.

Let me know if you ever want anything from Boulevard. They are only a couple hours away and distribute all over Missouri.

Good catch on the DL. I would love to try one (or all of them) to see what the hype is about. I saw someone's home brew recipe for a DL clone, and that thing looked massive. A very high gravity beer.

Might be working up another trade. I got in contact with one of the guys from Clown Shoes Brewery and he's wanting to trade for some of our local stuff. I mentioned Schlafly and O'Fallon, will mention Boulevard the next time we talk, but won't mention AB. :hilarious:

Attachments

• Hombrewing_2.jpg
    Hombrewing_2.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 120
Does anyone ever go to any of the craft beer or home brew conventions/events?

I just learned about one that is going on here in St. Louis in a couple weeks. St. Louis hosts its own craft beer week. http://www.stlbeerweek.com/ I love how several stores are having free tastings, and several places are hosting beer dinners that will focus on food and beer pairings. After looking at the schedule, I think I've got something to do beer related almost every day that week. :scat:

Nah I just missed a beer festival recently, but I was in beer heaven when I walked into a wine/liquor store and it had all craft beer down an aisle as long as 1/4 a football field.

FYI I found a place close to me that has 1200 beers! And believe it or not its just a gas station but they advertise on the radio and stuff. They actually got an Alien beer from Roswell NM too. They got a real cool buddha beer too which has a bottle shaped like buddha pretty cool for bottle collectors.

I bought a beer from Maine, Shipyard signature series which cost $10.69 for one bottle!!! very delicious tho, thick like guinesss.

tonight I am drinking the cheaper but enjoyable Longboard Island lager .. I happen to like it. Kona Brewing Company, Hawaii

I've heard good things about Kona, but never had anything they make.

I'd bet the $7 to $10 range is standard for some people (Splax possibly?). I'll grab one on occasion, but I usually stick to the big sampler packs, custom 6-packs, and my home brew.

I've heard good things about Kona, but never had anything they make.

I'd bet the $7 to $10 range is standard for some people (Splax possibly?). I'll grab one on occasion, but I usually stick to the big sampler packs, custom 6-packs, and my home brew.

HAHA i just reserved 2 bottles of 3 different beers for $20 ea. They are 750mL though. A couples weeks ago and bought 6 bottles of Founders Blushing Monk and they cost me anywhere from 14 - 20 ea. I would love to spend $7 - 10 normally.

As for festivals I went to the Michigan Summer Beer Festival on Friday and I got completely black out wasted. They give you 15 tokens and 1= 3oz pour. on top of that I brought 8 more and was still asking for some when those were gone. Over all it was a fun day and got to try many different beers.

Well the Longboard Island Lager is only like $7-8 for a six pack! very good.

Here is my new joy! Just got it from a brewery in Flagstaff.

Got a growler!

IMG-20110726-00859.jpg

Good beer too, I've had it before in a 6 pack. Its only $10 to refill it too! haha.

Last edited by a moderator:
HAHA i just reserved 2 bottles of 3 different beers for $20 ea. They are 750mL though. A couples weeks ago and bought 6 bottles of Founders Blushing Monk and they cost me anywhere from 14 - 20 ea. I would love to spend $7 - 10 normally.

As for festivals I went to the Michigan Summer Beer Festival on Friday and I got completely black out wasted. They give you 15 tokens and 1= 3oz pour. on top of that I brought 8 more and was still asking for some when those were gone. Over all it was a fun day and got to try many different beers.

I think you got ripped off on the Blushing Monk. They were selling it here for $10 to $12.

I need to start making it to some of the festivals that are out there. Especially the ones in my area.

Got a growler!

Good beer too, I've had it before in a 6 pack. Its only $10 to refill it too! haha..

Gotta love the growlers! I've only got one, but I really want to get one from Schlafly and one from my new favorite local brewery, 2nd Shift. My first was a $10 first fill and a $6 refill. I think $6 or $8 is the going rate for a refill here in STL.

Now all you need is a growler koozie.

koozie.jpg