Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: March 7, 2016
Purchase link: Doctor Who: Series 9
Price: £39.99

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
Preordered for the time being whilst I mull it. The price doesn't bother me too much as it's only slightly more than the standard release. It's all down to how much faith I have that 1-8 will come along also... Sherlocks releases gives me hope.

Would be good to know if they are going to do the other seasons. I'll still get this anyway, but would be nice to have a complete run

About time there was a steel for a complete Doctor Who series.

I loved this season. Only had a couple of iffy episodes. Capaldi has had a solid start to his Who era.

Ordered!

Though to be fair it has also been critically acclaimed and up there with the very best of Dr Who

The past two seasons in particular have been derided for being so dire. Both Starburst and at least 5 main newspapers ripped it apart for being so bad. Any number of stories over the past 2 years could be a contender for worst story ever made. The tidal wave of complaints have been ignored because The BBC simply hasn't been paying attention to the shear hostility the show has been getting. A vast chunk of the fans have walked away from the show in droves including this one. To go out on the best slot of the week on prime time TV and only get ratings as low as 3.5 million is a disaster for a prime time show which should be getting at last 7 million on overnight viewing. But don't be jumping for joy at the prospect of a new Producer as it'll be another fan obsessed with the show to drench it in more fanwank and all the baggage it brings. The person I feel sorry most of all is Peter Capaldi. A great actor who\s clearly a big fan of the show let down week after week by rubbish script after rubbish script. The BBC should hang their collective head in shame for allowing such rubbish to have ever got to the scripting stage never mind broadcast.

Reactions: boldnerd and Flash
Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I've loved them. They really have been enjoyable for all ages and Peter has brought a real old soul to the doctor reminiscent of very old doctor who. I love the scenery, the other characters and I loved the Christmas episode with River, brought a tear to my eye, beautiful.

This is a thread for the steelbook specifically not really a slag off the series thread despite many people doing so, each to their own as I said. People who didn't like it will not be swayed and people who loved it and are excited by this steelbook won't be swayed by people slagging it.

The artwork for this looks gorgeous, nice release.

To go out on the best slot of the week on prime time TV and only get ratings as low as 3.5 million is a disaster for a prime time show which should be getting at last 7 million on overnight viewing. .

Last Christmas - 8.28 Million
The Magician's Apprentice - 6.54 Million
The Witch's Familiar - 5.71 Million
Under the Lake - 5.63 Million
Before the Flood - 6.05 Million
The Girl who Died - 6.56 Million
The Woman who Lived - 6.11 Million
The Zygon Invasion - 5.76 Million
The Zygon Inversion - 6.03 Million
Sleep No More - 5.61 Million
Face The Raven - 6.05 Million
Heaven Sent - 6.19 Million
Hell Bent - 6.17 Million

And the time slots were all over the place which did affect the ratings, but not to the low you're saying.

But never let facts get in the way of a good rant, eh ?

Reactions: jitstark and spookz
your ratings are TV, recordings and iplayer combined not the overnight figures which were very very poor. Most of those ratings were only 4 to 4.5 million on overnight viewing and not the combined ratings which you get the next week which is a con.

The artwork for this looks gorgeous, nice release.

no point in doing one steelbook if you are not going to do them for all 9 seasons. Sticks out like a sore thump. Because you can be assured that most buyers wanting the steelbook will want the other seasons as steeelbooks.

this is very like the Star Wars steelbook thread people were arguing about the film and all the posts got moved to the film thread. There is a doctor who thread can the discussion on series be moved there and only steelbook discussion remain as was done with Star Wars?

@Apollon

Reactions: mnementh
At least they are learning how to do nice art on Doctor Who Steelbooks...Series 5's art was pretty plain other than the crack.

s5_boxset_steelbook_dvd_bluray.jpg

The DVD steelbooks that Australia had in the past were pretty nice

Reactions: Flash
Again if they are going to do the rest of the 8 seasons in steelbook form they'd have to have a consistent design or a theme pertaining to that season.

I was going to suggest moving it to Gallifrey Base - it would fit right in there !!!

Yes repetitive criticism of the series isn't needed, this is purely about the steelbook as the Star Wars thread was moderated.

I think the problem is that steelbooks have really hit their height of popularity just now and a series like doctor who has been on so long that probably anyone who wanted it over the years has probably had video---dvd---blurays as the media has developed.

The makers are probably deciding if it is worth making all of them again in steelbooks. I really think it depends on price. The Sherlock steels are a good example at £19.99 I think most people had the series and at that price were too expensive to double dip but the recent price drop to £9.99 has seen them selling out. There is a number of doctor who's not even released on dvd no matter bluray steelbook. I think it's a big job and even at £9.99 would be a big expense for anyone.

As steelbooks popularity has increased if they can they seem to be releasing more series steels, breaking bad, game of thrones, Sherlock, Better Call Saul.

I think in Doctor who's' case having been on for so many years, I guess they are gauging if people would buy a whole another set.

I like that they have decided to do a steelbook and really like this artwork. I guess time will tell.