Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: March 7, 2016
Purchase link: Doctor Who: Series 9
Price: £39.99

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
And as you say how many people are going to double dip having purchased the series already?. Very unlikely. The Spearhead from Space steelbook would be more successful if they put in all the extras from the DVD since a lot of fans complained that none of the extras from the DVD were imported over. So either put in extras for the 9th season as well not on the standard blu-ray or just hope people will double dip......

Reactions: Flash
Yes it's a hard one, I think in this case you can choose amaray or steelbook as you could with Better Call Saul, having them come out at the same time gives people a choice.

If I can pick I'll choose steelbook.

Not a big fan of this season, but absolutely love the artist. Her name is Alice X.Zhang and she started as a fan of Dr.Who, Sherlock etc. Her work was so amazong that BBC picked it up and now she is one of their "official" artists. She also did a lot of good art on other popular films, her portfolio is here http://www.alicexz.com/
We can dream on that all of modern Who will be releated with her art on covers, this would be just magnificent!

Very smart steelbook with its chosen Alice X. Zhang digital painting artwork with its warm autumnal colours adding a touch of class to the product ( SO much nicer than a generic still from the show).
Maybe a bit on the dark side compared to some of her brighter works but very nice nevertheless.

"My" doctors were Nos. 3 & 4 so this steelbook is not for me but I hope and trust that this will be followed by the other series' in a similar style for the many, many Doctor Who fans out there.

6 BDs for 40 quid is probably a reasonable starting off pre-order price but I'd expect this to drop down to between 27 and 30 quid at which time it could be worthwhile locking in the price.

The classic Dr Who target paperbacks used some fantastic artists and there is of course the famous paintings by Frank Bellamy for Day of the Daleks and Terror of the Zygons. Both of which I have the limited prints that came out 20 years ago. So there is plenty of scope for excellent covers. I hated the roundol effect on the UK DVD's and much preferred the USA covers which used full artwork.

Not a big fan of this season, but absolutely love the artist. Her name is Alice X.Zhang and she started as a fan of Dr.Who, Sherlock etc. Her work was so amazong that BBC picked it up and now she is one of their "official" artists. She also did a lot of good art on other popular films, her portfolio is here http://www.alicexz.com/
We can dream on that all of modern Who will be releated with her art on covers, this would be just magnificent!

****! Her work is incredible. Loving her Birdman, inglorious basterds, lost in translation, whiplash, drive, Leon, collateral, fight club, fury road and many many more

I've had that joker (dark knight) pic on my phone for ages and always wondered who did it

always wondered who did it
Same here, liked the picture, put it on my phone and then found her other work. Now got a couple of Who and Sherlock prints.
I think her art works great as a steelbook cover. One can add a bit of special paint, etc.

There is a number of doctor who's not even released on dvd
Er, such as? I think you will find that, following the release of The Underwater Menace last year, every single episode currently known to exist has now been released on DVD in the UK (or will be once Series 9 of the new series comes out)!

All that leaves is the constant speculation over other missing episode finds that could get released in the future. But, as I say, that's all just speculation and rumours.

£39.99....Jeez....a little much for me.

Although it's one of those things now where I'm like "I could buy it so it doesn't sell out" or "I'll chance it and wait"

That artist has done some great things looking at her Facebook page. I like the fact she has some Person of Interest artwork aswell since Steelbooks of them would be gladly welcomed. However if you look back far enough you'll see some Disney ones...imagine Amazon Steelbooks of Disney films they would blow Zavvi's out the water with those styles.

Another good thing to note is she's done artwork of other Doctors so maybe she could do the previous series artwork aswell. Although I think I'd prefer her doing a collection of Steelbooks where the show is finished for good and all the Steelbooks are consistent with one another. I mean lets face it I highly doubt future Doctor Who Steelbooks are going to look similar in design.

Er, such as? I think you will find that, following the release of The Underwater Menace last year, every single episode currently known to exist has now been released on DVD in the UK (or will be once Series 9 of the new series comes out)!

All that leaves is the constant speculation over other missing episode finds that could get released in the future. But, as I say, that's all just speculation and rumours.

I think the comment may relate to HD transfers of episodes containing the doctors of yore when everything was filmed on video and the only episode(s) suitable (at this time) to be transferred to BD is the first from Jon Pertwee "Spearhead from Space" (1970) and that is only because it was shot on 16mm film. The Amaray BD for that was released in July 2013 and a steelbook BD is fast approaching this April.
*I haven't checked which was the first episode post-1970 that has been given a BD release / when it was transmitted / with which doctor - would be interested to know if there are any more Pertwee (or even Tom Baker) episodes available on Blu-ray.
I apologise if I've read it wrong.

* just checked and the info is as follows "Due to industrial action "Spearhead" is the only adventure of the 1963 - 1989 run of the series to be made entirely on location film which can be upscaled to Blu-ray HD" . . . and there you have it in a nutshell.

Apparently this tape issue was far from being just confined to Doctor Who - SO very thankful for the classic TV series' from the '60s and '70s that have made it to the HD format including these crackers :- THE TWILIGHT ZONE (1959-1963), THUNDERBIRDS: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION (1965), THE TIME TUNNEL (1966-1967) apparently coming this July. . . hopefully . . . after being on my Amazon pre-orders page since 21/3/2014 ! , STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES (1966-1969), BATMAN: THE COMPLETE TV SERIES (1966-1968), THE PRISONER (1968), THE AVENGERS: SEASONS 4, 5 & 6 (1965-1968), THE PERSUADERS (1971-1972) :thumbs::happy:
SO many other TV series from that period that I'd love to own - would be like re-living my childhood - but I guess I'll just have to wait and see which others follow . . .

Last edited:
I think the comment may relate to HD transfers of episodes containing the doctors of yore when everything was filmed on video and the only episode(s) suitable (at this time) to be transferred to BD is the first from Jon Pertwee "Spearhead from Space" (1970) and that is only because it was shot on 16mm film. The Amaray BD for that was released in July 2013 and a steelbook BD is fast approaching this April.
I haven't checked which was the first episode post-1970 that has been given a BD release / when it was transmitted / with which doctor - would be interested to know if there are any more Pertwee (or even Tom Baker) episodes available on Blu-ray.
I apologise if I've read it wrong.

You are spot on :thumbs:

It's actually sad how the BBC mistreated Doctor Who over the years deleting archive programmes, 97 out of 253 episodes from the programme's first six years are missing, primarily from seasons three to five leaving 26 incomplete. The interesting thing is that the 97 missing episodes exist in audio form and their visuals have been reconstructed mainly with photographs. They have continued looking for missing episodes.

There is so many episodes over the years now releasing them all on steelbook would be hefty work and price. I mean it's not as huge as say they said lets re-release the Simpsons in steelbooks all like 27 seasons lol

But now with the popularity of bluray and steelbooks they are embracing it which for collectors like myself is great.

Reactions: virkia
It wasn't the BBC's fault. The people to blame are the actor's union who made it so prohibitive to repeat material that reshowing material was next to impossible. Bar overseas sales there was simply no commercial avenue at the time for the BBC to explore. It also doesn't help that Video tape was so expensive it was cheaper
for the BBC to reuse valuable tapes than buy new ones. And then the 3rd problem kicks in. None bothered to archive properly what the BBC had so the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing and in the process a lot of great stuff got junked..... So a lethal cocktail of factors came to play.
The USA was luckier in that because of the nature of broadcasting there, different masters had to be send to different zones because of different broadcast times so a lot of stuff survived due to to this practice and also the companies had the foresight to store a lot of their material deep understand in salt mines.
It's also a myth that the BBC are actively searching for old TV shows. By and large there is no commercial value in most of the BBC's old shows from a modern audiences perspective and they the BBC themselves are not bothered if old stuff comes up or not. The only reason why Dr Who has been so well restored on DVD is due to the passion of fans who happened to be professional engineers and expects who had the clout to get things moving. If it was down to the BBC nothing would have ever have got done.

It wasn't the BBC's fault. The people to blame are the actor's union who made it so prohibitive to repeat material that reshowing material was next to impossible. Bar overseas sales there was simply no commercial avenue at the time for the BBC to explore. It also doesn't help that Video tape was so expensive it was cheaper
for the BBC to reuse valuable tapes than buy new ones. And then the 3rd problem kicks in. None bothered to archive properly what the BBC had so the left hand didn't know what the right hand was doing and in the process a lot of great stuff got junked..... So a lethal cocktail of factors came to play.
The USA was luckier in that because of the nature of broadcasting there, different masters had to be send to different zones because of different broadcast times so a lot of stuff survived due to to this practice and also the companies had the foresight to store a lot of their material deep understand in salt mines.
It's also a myth that the BBC are actively searching for old TV shows. By and large there is no commercial value in most of the BBC's old shows from a modern audiences perspective and they the BBC themselves are not bothered if old stuff comes up or not. The only reason why Dr Who has been so well restored on DVD is due to the passion of fans who happened to be professional engineers and expects who had the clout to get things moving. If it was down to the BBC nothing would have ever have got done.

I'm sorry but it was mainly the BBC's fault and they did it with many other series. I actually know a few people who work at the BBC and they are actively looking and spending a lot of time on restoration and making amends working with fans and many film archivists.

I really can't be bothered getting into a history lesson or a debate with you mate, it's taking up too much of this thread which is about the season 9 steelbook.

I apologise for digressing earlier but I want to get the thread back on track. I think making a steelbook alongside the amaray is nice idea much like films these days so you can pick if you fancy a steelbook.

I think if this dropped another £5 it would be perfect.

Last edited:
The comments I said above are actually what the Dr Who restoration team themselves said over the years and they would know. They had more insight into the state of the show that anyone else. There was also a brilliant edition of "Inn at the end of the road" that highlighted all the problems with junking and is probably the most depressing read you will ever do. If you can hunt down a copy (hard to get hold off), an amazing read.
As for the steelbook well it really does depend if people are willing to double dip. So expect some people selling their current sets ebay to pay for the steel.

The comments I said above are actually what the Dr Who restoration team themselves said over the years and they would know. They had more insight into the state of the show that anyone else. There was also a brilliant edition of "Inn at the end of the road" that highlighted all the problems with junking and is probably the most depressing read you will ever do. If you can hunt down a copy (hard to get hold off), an amazing read.
As for the steelbook well it really does depend if people are willing to double dip. So expect some people selling their current sets ebay to pay for the steel.

I think merely reading comments printed online, in books, or wherever as opposed to actually knowing someone might not be as exact. They have been working endlessly with fans and film archivists as I said and I am still hopefully new bits can be found. Just listening to some of the restored audio is wonderful.

Well in this case (this steelbook) they have the choice to not have to double dip but simply choose amaray or steelbook which is good. I have been a huge Doctor Who fan forever and so happy it continues for this day.

I do love the look of this as i'm a big fan of the artist (she does alot of the covers for the Doctor Who comics too) but it is a little bit pricey at the minute so I could be tempted if it drops down in price, but to get me really interested I think i'd need them to say they are planning on doing these for all the series' like they've done for Sherlock because I don't really just want 1 series on steelbook.

Reactions: Flash and virkia
I do love the look of this as i'm a big fan of the artist (she does alot of the covers for the Doctor Who comics too) but it is a little bit pricey at the minute so I could be tempted if it drops down in price, but to get me really interested I think i'd need them to say they are planning on doing these for all the series' like they've done for Sherlock because I don't really just want 1 series on steelbook.

I think it's a bit different to re-release three season of a few epsidoes each like Sherlock than decades of television like Doctor who. It would be a huge overhaul and a huge expense. As I said they would have to way up if enough people would double dip. I mean long time doctor who fans like myself it would almost be like triple dip, video to dvd to bluray

I've pre-ordered it. I love the steelbook and wouldn't not pre-order it just because the other series have not had one. I cannot see the fuss, personally. You either like it or you don't. If not, then get the amaray version. Who cares if something wasn't remastered from 40yrs ago, or whatever. The thread is about the series 9 steelbook, or am I missing something.

I've pre-ordered it. I love the steelbook and wouldn't not pre-order it just because the other series have not had one. I cannot see the fuss, personally. You either like it or you don't. If not, then get the amaray version. Who cares if something wasn't remastered from 40yrs ago, or whatever. The thread is about the series 9 steelbook, or am I missing something.

Extremely well said spot on mate :thumbs:

Exactly my point this is for the series 9 steelbook released at the same time as amaray so you can pick with something as longstanding as doctor who it's hard to say "...oh I won't get this as they haven't done the others in steelbook.."

This one looks lovely, hopefully gloss.

Reactions: spookz and jitstark