Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: March 7, 2016
Purchase link: Doctor Who: Series 9
Price: £39.99

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
I could not agree with this more! One of the many, many things I hate about living in Ireland.

I have a cousin who lives across the border but he gets all his post delivered to Ballygawley so even at weekends he has stuff to pick up and it works out cheaper for him as well.

I liked this season so to have it in a steelbook is a bonus as I would have brought it anyway. But if there was ever a steel that was crying out for a gloss finish it's this one.

It's a real shame but It's not a terrible steel.

This has been listed as unavailable for a few weeks now
No third party sellers listings on amazonUK and no ebay listings that's strange

What was the print run for this and is it really sold out or have Amazon stopped selling it for some reason
I know Doctor Who sells but not that fast and especially as there is no third party listings

What was the print run for this and is it really sold out or have Amazon stopped selling it for some reason
I know Doctor Who sells but not that fast and especially as there is no third party listings
Glad I got my order in, then!

I know that when Doctor Who merchandise crosses over in to other highly collectable fields such as stamps (and now steelbooks) etc., you get a cross-over in terms of demand - those that will buy simply because it's Doctor Who and those that will buy simply because of the type of merchandise. The same happens with other big franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars etc. However, I would agree that I wouldn't have expected demand for this particular item to be so great (as good as it is), so it does seem a bit odd...

Reactions: paulboland
I'm not sure how many copies were available, but Doctor Who is a good seller on Blu-ray.

This is evidenced by the BBC's releases of their titles. They haven't embraced Blu-ray wholesale, and only release titles here in the UK that they strongly believe will sell or have sold in the past. This is why Doctor Who gets Blu-ray releases but many, many BBC shows don't and simply get the DVD treatment. Add to that the 'collectability factor', the minor price difference between this and the amaray and the fact it's slimmer on the shelf. There's no consistency with (new Who) Doctor Who packaging anyway so it's not like people would pass over the steelbook because another version matches better.

As a steelbook buyer, and a Doctor Who fan, this was my first Who Blu-ray purchase. Before this I'd stuck with the DVD's as that's what the whole classic series is available on. Should more Doctor Who series' get the steelbook treatment then I'll upgrade to those too (yes, I've pre-ordered Spearhead from Space too). So that's 1 additional sale made because of the steelbook, and I imagine I'm not alone in that.

So, in short, there's a multitude of reasons this might have been a better seller than expected.

I'm not sure how many copies were available, but Doctor Who is a good seller on Blu-ray.

This is evidenced by the BBC's releases of their titles. They haven't embraced Blu-ray wholesale, and only release titles here in the UK that they strongly believe will sell or have sold in the past. This is why Doctor Who gets Blu-ray releases but many, many BBC shows don't and simply get the DVD treatment. Add to that the 'collectability factor', the minor price difference between this and the amaray and the fact it's slimmer on the shelf. There's no consistency with (new Who) Doctor Who packaging anyway so it's not like people would pass over the steelbook because another version matches better.

As a steelbook buyer, and a Doctor Who fan, this was my first Who Blu-ray purchase. Before this I'd stuck with the DVD's as that's what the whole classic series is available on. Should more Doctor Who series' get the steelbook treatment then I'll upgrade to those too (yes, I've pre-ordered Spearhead from Space too). So that's 1 additional sale made because of the steelbook, and I imagine I'm not alone in that.

So, in short, there's a multitude of reasons this might have been a better seller than expected.
Normally though you would see third party sellers listings on amazon after release date and ebay listings but that has not happened yet which is surprising for a new release and the fact it's no longer available from amazon themselves

I did hear a rumour this steelbook would be available from other retailers later this year so I'm wondering how many did amazon have available

I heard there was only 2000 so there wasn't many made to begin with. Glad I bought mine before they sold out.

That's amazing looking, I just bought the digital copy of it on Vudu to watch (no cable anymore) but I would totally consider this in steel if it was a reasonable price