Release date: April 25th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £15.99

who1.jpg

who2.jpg
who3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously !
Clearly the best way to shift unsold stock is to release them in nice new shiny packaging as here . . .
Appreciate the doctors up to and including Tom Baker (Pertwee being the "doctor" of my generation).

Last edited:
I'm honestly surprised Spearhead is getting a steelbook. I wonder how well the original Blu-ray sold.

Not well, I'm guessing, as it's still widely available over two-and-a-half years after its original release:-
GBP 6.99 from AMAZON, BASE and the BBC SHOP
GBP 7.99 from ZAVVI
It should also be remembered that the price of this Amaray was kept higher than necessary for an awfully long time and I recall waiting ages for an acceptable (to me) price before I bought it.

As "Spearhead" (1970) is the only CLASSIC episode (in four parts) of Doctor Who to be released on BD (or which may be released . . . ever . . . on BD ?) and to be granted a steelbook release it's a "*must buy" as this could well be a **one-off HD release due to the fact it was brought out to commemorate Doctor Who's 50th Anniversary as well as being the wonderful Jon Pertwee's first outing as the "Doctor" and it was the first "Doctor Who" episode in colour . . . and for other reasons to do with the film stock used.
As was written at the time about the BD release :-
" Spearhead is the only adventure from the classic era that can be re-mastered in true HD say experts because, thanks to industrial action at BBC TV Centre, all four episodes were shot on location on 16mm film rather than being recorded on videotape - the first time this was ever done on the show. . . "

* Yes, a must buy, but alas not at 15/16 quid. A pre-order price of GBP 11.99 with a working discount code would have been OK.

** Apart from the two Peter Cushing dalek films (1965 & 1966) on BD and steelbook already out there which were also 50th Anniversary releases (1963 - 2013).

slightly odd choice if they were going to go back to the beginning but this is a bit random, I know first colour etc but slightly random.

Has anybody had their steelbook dispatched yet? Mine had a predicted despatch debate of 28th March and it's still processing.

Release date was changed to 4th April
If that date not changing again it will most likely start shipping tomorrow
I know the release date has changed but it still seems a bit odd that it would give an estimated dispatch date of 28th March then not actually dispatch on 28th March.

I know the release date has changed but it still seems a bit odd that it would give an estimated dispatch date of 28th March then not actually dispatch on 28th March.
Zavvi don't update your order estimated despatch date when they change the release date it remains the same as when your ordered

You need to go by the website listing not what it says in your order

It's crazy yes but they don't have the same system that Amazon have where they update your order details

Reactions: The Doctor
Has anybody had their steelbook dispatched yet? Mine had a predicted despatch debate of 28th March and it's still processing.
Hey! When did YOU join????

As I state in my earlier post, I'm just a Doctor, not THE Doctor...! (Actually, I'm not really a doctor, either. But don't tell anyone!)

I ordered it will only be my second Who steel (I have the g1 season 4 Best buy one), which doctor is this it looks like the second doctor.

I ordered it will only be my second Who steel (I have the g1 season 4 Best buy one), which doctor is this it looks like the second doctor.
It's the 3rd Doctor's very first story Spearhead From Space: so good that it has been used numerous times as a template for Doctor Who episodes.

It's the 3rd Doctor's very first story Spearhead From Space: so good that it has been used numerous times as a template for Doctor Who episodes.

Thats good I am not that familiar with the first 3 doctors, I used to watch 4-6 all the time with my dad as a kid on PBS on Saturday nights. I have always wanted to get more earlier Doctor episodes to watch.