USA
Release date: April 25th, 2016
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £15.99

who1.jpg

who2.jpg
who3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats good I am not that familiar with the first 3 doctors, I used to watch 4-6 all the time with my dad as a kid on PBS on Saturday nights. I have always wanted to get more earlier Doctor episodes to watch.
It's a classic Doctor Who serial so you're in for a treat.

Thats good I am not that familiar with the first 3 doctors, I used to watch 4-6 all the time with my dad as a kid on PBS on Saturday nights. I have always wanted to get more earlier Doctor episodes to watch.
It was the start of a new era for Doctor Who at the time, what with the programme's future being somewhat uncertain following the departure of Patrick Troughton as the second doctor at the end of the sixties (Jon Pertwee had not been cast yet, and there was no regeneration scene).

As it was, Doctor Who entered the new decade with a different feel and approach, not least to now being in colour and with the doctor stranded on Earth (where he had been banished by the time lords - actually a money saving scheme by the BBC to reduce the number of sets required!).

Both the TV movie with Paul McGann and the first episode with Chris Eccleston pay homage to Jon Pertwee's first serial in places (you will see what I mean when you watch it).

Last edited:
It's the 3rd Doctor's very first story Spearhead From Space: so good that it has been used numerous times as a template for Doctor Who episodes.

Actually it's Quatermass that was used as the template for Spearhead from Space. That's where the story borrowed it's template. Nothing wrong with that. The Baker/Hinchcliffe era borrowed heavily from Hammer to great effect as well as classics such as The Thing and Forbidden Planet but managing to create it's own identity in the process. I still think this steel missed a trick. They should have had the DVD as well which contains all the extras not on the blu-ray. I'm going to wait a month. It won't sell out and will go down in price.

Actually it's Quatermass that was used as the template for Spearhead from Space. That's where the story borrowed it's template. Nothing wrong with that. The Baker/Hinchcliffe era borrowed heavily from Hammer to great effect as well as classics such as The Thing and Forbidden Planet but managing to create it's own identity in the process. I still think this steel missed a trick. They should have had the DVD as well which contains all the extras not on the blu-ray. I'm going to wait a month. It won't sell out and will go down in price.
Yes, it was a shame (missed opportunity?) not to have included all the extras from the DVD. As a result, I have held on to my DVD copy for the extras alone.

Wouldn't have cost a bean. All they are doing is taking existing DVD/blu-rays and putting them in a steelbook. They are not pressing extra discs. The disc in the steelbook is the same disc for the standard amray case. The blu-ray and disc are already there. Putting the DVD and blu-ray in the steelbook would have added nothing to the cost........

Wouldn't have cost a bean. All they are doing is taking existing DVD/blu-rays and putting them in a steelbook. They are not pressing extra discs. The disc in the steelbook is the same disc for the standard amray case. The blu-ray and disc are already there. Putting the DVD and blu-ray in the steelbook would have added nothing to the cost........
Tell that to Zavvi. £15.99 is not the cost of the steelbook case only, it's the cost of the disc also.

As I said the work has already been done. So it would not cost that much but I guess Zavvi probably aren't on the ball when it comes to the DVD/blu-ray controversy for that particular title

As I said the work has already been done. So it would not cost that much but I guess Zavvi probably aren't on the ball when it comes to the DVD/blu-ray controversy for that particular title

It was stated at the time of the original Bu-ray release that it was to be a 'companion piece' to the DVD which is why it has different special features.

There was a conscious decision not to include the DVD with the Blu-ray the first time around, and besides, when was the last UK Steelbook to include a DVD anyway? As much as I wish all steelbooks included them (I like the option of watching movies in different rooms, not just on mu Blu-ray player), it's often only smaller labels like Eureka! or BFI that are dual-format, and even then not every time.

It was stated at the time of the original Bu-ray release that it was to be a 'companion piece' to the DVD which is why it has different special features.

There was a conscious decision not to include the DVD with the Blu-ray the first time around, and besides, when was the last UK Steelbook to include a DVD anyway? As much as I wish all steelbooks included them (I like the option of watching movies in different rooms, not just on mu Blu-ray player), it's often only smaller labels like Eureka! or BFI that are dual-format, and even then not every time.
That's true - as per the Doctor Who Restoration Team's website: "The decision was made by 2entertain that this Blu-ray release was to be a companion disc to the DVD included in the Mannequin Mania boxset rather than a replacement for it, so none of the additional features from that DVD have been included here. Instead, a package of brand-new HD extras was put together to compliment the main feature.". More information about the restoration of this serial (for both the DVD and Blu-ray releases) can be found here: http://www.restoration-team.co.uk/ (click on the link for DVD releases, and the Blu-ray release of this title is at the top). Some fascinating stuff (if a bit technical in places!).

But you're not paying for the disc from scratch for a first pressing. The disc already exists. It's just the work needed for the steelbook itself.

Still not been charged for this yet... :(

Perhaps it's slipped back to it's original release date of 26 April.. :cautious: (it got brought forward to 28 March, before being pushed back a week to 4 April!). Or perhaps it's just lost in the space/time vortex somewhere! :greyalien:

Still not been charged for this yet... :(

Perhaps it's slipped back to it's original release date of 26 April.. :cautious: (it got brought forward to 28 March, before being pushed back a week to 4 April!). Or perhaps it's just lost in the space/time vortex somewhere! :greyalien:
I have a feeling they probably won't dispatch them to tomorrow now. No sign of it happening today so far and it is a Sunday.

and besides, when was the last UK Steelbook to include a DVD anyway? .
I believe the most recent steelbook to include a DVD was AUDITION - released on the 29/2/16 - but before that you have to back about a year to find another . . . RABID released on the 16/2/15.
Yes, Dual Format steelbooks are rare here (unlike in the U.S. for example) and apart from the usual Arrow and Eureka examples I can think of very few others off the top of my head:- HUMAN CENTIPEDE original release, HUMAN CENTIPEDE: FIRST & FULL SEQUENCES (4 discs), HANSEL AND GRETEL WITCH HUNTERS, HUNGER GAMES and CATCHING FIRE . . .

Regarding SPEARHEAD: As I already have the Amaray I'm in no rush to get this, particularly at the current price point though will certainly buy it when it reaches my level.
Thought this was coming out on the 28/3/16 and then on the 4/4/16 but now not sure . . . however, when someone receives it I'd appreciate knowing if the booklet is included as with the previous release.
Thanx

If's it Zavvi it'll be bare bones. Steelbook, disc and that's it.

Can you name many steelbooks that come with much more than a J-card and a disc in the UK, or are you just against Zavvi? I'm struggling really.

The question is, were there booklets included with the recent Sherlock steelbooks from HMV or the Luther steelbook from Zavvi? Doctor Who series 9 had a booklet, but even that didn't fit inside. I'm not sure Spearhead from Space needs one does it?

Reactions: Flash
Most steelbook releases in the UK is just the Steelbook and Jcard

It's really only Arrow Video/BFI/Eureka that provide regular booklets and DVD copies with their releases

Zavvi/Amazon/HMV have nothing to do with the content in regards to DVD or Booklet been included as they are just retailers
Content is decided the film studio/distributor

The like of Arrow Video/BFI/Eureka are Film Distributors who are involved with creating the release and the content and then provide these releases to retailers to sell

The release date of this release I expect will change or the stock delivery is late arriving to Zavvi from the 2 Entertain Video
When I notice my debit card has a pending transaction will tell if been despatched soon

BBC releases are distributed by 2 Entertain Video

Last edited:
Reactions: Flash
I doubt if Zavvi really care what they put out as long as they get the rights to it. I would doubt if they even get involved in any way with the product. Get it out get the money, next one please seems to be their motto. I didn't even think they even try to get involved in what they get the rights to put out judging by their various comments to complaints over the past few years.
But I am straying off this thread but I think my comments while more suited to the Zavvi thread are valid in that communication with fans of Spearhead from Space could have produced a superior steelbook package.

Last edited: