Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £15.99

who1.jpg

who2.jpg
who3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a classic series story. Nothing to do with the new show

Yes, I'm aware of that.

It's also the only episode of the classic series that was done on film, rather than videotape (with film for location shots in some cases), which is why it got a Blu-ray release and now steelbook re-release.

I mentioned the new series because a while ago, BBC's home entertainment department asked for feedback regarding steelbook releases, and Doctor Who was on the list (as was Sherlock which got HMV exclusive steelbooks). This could be their way of testing the water with Who releases.

It's also the only episode of the classic series that was done on film,

Technically speaking there are 5 other episodes of Classic Dr Who from the 60's which could get an HD release. For example one episode of Dalek Invasion of Earth was shot on 35mm as were 4 other episodes. Terror of the Zygons coud get an HD release as 3/4 of it was shot on 16mm film and most of the film segments still exist.

I never got round to buying this on Blu-ray, looks nice, even the inside is good, may wait for a price drop. Been a while since I watched some Classic Who, I wish they shot more episodes on film.

Technically speaking there are 5 other episodes of Classic Dr Who from the 60's which could get an HD release. For example one episode of Dalek Invasion of Earth was shot on 35mm as were 4 other episodes. Terror of the Zygons coud get an HD release as 3/4 of it was shot on 16mm film and most of the film segments still exist.

Fair enough. By episode, I clearly meant story, as in it was the only story where every episode was shot on film.

There are numerous examples of individual episodes in classic Who that were either fully shot on film, or feature film inserts, but so far BBC Home Entertainment (or whatever it's called now) has chosen not to release them in high definition. We mustn't forget, as beloved as classic Who appears to be, sales figures are low for even DVD releases, let alone Blu-ray which is still a niche market so chances are slim for an HD release of any other classic title.

I'm honestly surprised Spearhead is getting a steelbook. I wonder how well the original Blu-ray sold.