Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: September 6, 2023
Purchase link: Amazon FR - Fnac - E.Leclerc
Price: €34.99
Notes: Both UHD and Blu-ray discs has forced french subtitles when audio set to English - Some Panasonic players models not all have the ability to force subtitles off in player settings but some other brands of UHD players don't have that option

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 11.46.22 Medium.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Second sight, the same as Leonine, would have had an exclusivity license to the film in the region for a certain period of time. That's fairly standard for licensing agreements.

No other distributor can put out a new release within that period. Old editions can still be sold, but that's it. If Sony are putting out a release it should mean SS' exclusivity is over.

Remaining SS releases can still be sold, but any new releases would come from whomever the license reverted to, which seems to be Sony in this instance.
Not always

Examples
Arrow Video and Universal doing 4K release of films themselves separately
The difference is the extras each provide on the discs

France 4K release of Drive does not have the same extras you get with Second Sight release
They not the same

Read back, definitely was said they were forced on the 4K too. Posts from both paulboland and Rulocal, two pages back :thumbs:

Yep, we were talking about the 4K - there was never a question about the BLu-Ray.

Very odd I don't have the ability to turn them off but @StifflersDad kind advice got me sorted.

I agree, it is a pretty decent steel and, on the basis that I didn't want the big set with the book, a nicer option than the slip-less standard edition.

Reactions: samdavies
Not always

Examples
Arrow Video and Universal doing 4K release of films themselves separately
The difference is the extras each provide on the discs

France 4K release of Drive does not have the same extras you get with Second Sight release
They not the same
I feel like we're arguing different things here lol I am not talking about exclusive extras, I'm just talking about the ability to distribute a film in a region.

Sony's release will have nothing to do with the French, German or SS UK release. If they put out their own 4K in a region that was previously distributed by someone else though, that will usually mean the exclusivity license period has ended.

When arrow license something from universal they do so for X period of time, and have exclusivity on it. Meaning nobody else can produce a new release of that film in that region for X period of time, including Universal.

This can vary by formats, so it will depend what is contracted.

Waterworld for example. Arrow had the blu-ray only license initially, for X period of time. Then universal released their 4K. Arrow now has the 4K license from them, and they put out their own release. Universal cannot release it again until it expires.

@samdavies
Second Sight release has exclusive extras
That's the difference and is why will still be available to purchase.

Drive 4K
Leonine and Second Sight are not the same as they have different disc extras

Second Sight did not have exclusive on the 4k transfer

Film Studios often licence films to independent labels but still have their own separate release available same time or do multiple re-releases
They differ in terms of disc extras

Arrow and Universal 4K release of carlito's way for example is different as arrow release has different extras

Reactions: samdavies
Oh, well, then they're wrong, and I should've only spoken for myself, as I meant only BD.

DVDCompare only lists BD subs as 'forced', not the UHD ones.
DVD Compare is not always accurate and relies on users to submit comparison corrections details
They often copy and paste details of previous release and have new releases with wrong info

Only when someone using their forum section submits a correction will they list 4K disc as having forced subtitles if they accept correction info provided
Their comparison corrections forum process to get a release details corrected is slow and not straight forward they often just ignore correction updates users provide
There are lot's of listings on DVD Compare that has wrong details listed in terms of discs picture/audio specs and extras
They can be very slow to update details of a release when it requires a correction and sometimes don't do a correction even after users provide details

France release from Wild Side Video
4K UHD Disc of Drive
does have forced french subtitles when you have audio as English as reported by users of the disc on HDN and other web forums
It even has same disc menu as the Blu-ray Disc
As previously mentioned can only be turned off if you happen have a UHD player that can force subs off in player settings

Post #167

Panasonic UHD Blu-ray Players some but not all models have the ability to force subtitles to off but that's not the case with all brands and models of UHD Blu-ray Players
The info provided that the 4K UHD has forced French Subtitles is correct as lot will have UHD players that won't have function to force subtitles to off
There are some UHD players with modified firmware that give access to usually hidden settings some been ability to force subtitles off but not all UHD players do you get this function even if they have a modified firmware

Sam just happens to have a Panasonic UHD Blu-ray Player that can force subs off in the player settings

What Sam says does not apply to others with different UHD players as some UHD players don't have the function to force subs off and that results in getting stuck with forced subtitles when you can't turn off in the disc menu or player menu or from remote control subs button

Just received mine (thanks @tommyh84 :thumbs:) and THIS is how you do a steelbook. Nice clean design with a gloss finish and original art on every aspect of it - front, back, discs, interior... hell, even the j-card!

I guess my PS5 won't be able to force the subs off the 4K disc then? :rofl:
I really have to invest in a player - spent too much money on the Oled TV :cigar:

Just received mine (thanks @tommyh84 :thumbs:) and THIS is how you do a steelbook. Nice clean design with a gloss finish and original art on every aspect of it - front, back, discs, interior... hell, even the j-card!

I think this is the best Drive steel to date. Nova's is nice with the debossed scorpion on the back, Manta's is nice using the much sought after print as artwork but I think this one tops them all

More than happy to see a Sony 4K release next year and hopefully still a Plain Archive release to add to the collection in the future as well

Reactions: Lutzo and Noodles
I think this is the best Drive steel to date. Nova's is nice with the debossed scorpion on the back, Manta's is nice using the much sought after print as artwork but I think this one tops them all

More than happy to see a Sony 4K release next year and hopefully still a Plain Archive release to add to the collection in the future as well
mondo, manta, hmv are nicer than this imo

Reactions: tha_lunatic
Mondo, manta, I'll agree. Nova too. Hmv one is kinda meh though. Nothing special about it and no interior art. The nova lenti using the same art holds a better place in the collection.
i dont like the lamp artwork on the nova.. but the hmv has a very nice matte finish with cool spotgloss.. i might have a soft spot for it tho as its one of my first steels