Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: September 6, 2023
Purchase link: Amazon FR - Fnac - E.Leclerc
Price: €34.99
Notes: Both UHD and Blu-ray discs has forced french subtitles when audio set to English - Some Panasonic players models not all have the ability to force subtitles off in player settings but some other brands of UHD players don't have that option

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 11.46.22 Medium.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the subs are hardcoded and can't be removed. I have an 820 and that option menu does not help. You click on the sub settings and the only available option is the setting for french subs with no up/down arrows to select anything else.

Back to Amazon it goes...
Oh fair. That is unfortunate. Don't suppose you tried the same thing with the french EEAAO did you?

I'll have to find another example I've got here that is supposed to be forced to test, as I really can't recall a time when I've been unable to remove forced subs on my ub820.

Actually, the attachment you shared indicated the Blu-Ray would have this issue not the 4K. Either way, I have no interest in getting involved in your petty bickering. :LOL:
The BD had already been released and was already confirmed 'Forced'. People only getting their hands on this new 4K disc this week so that will be updated on the site in time.

Oh fair. That is unfortunate. Don't suppose you tried the same thing with the french EEAAO did you?

I'll have to find another example I've got here that is supposed to be forced to test, as I really can't recall a time when I've been unable to remove forced subs on my ub820.

I don't have that disc to try. Anyway, I've moved on and it really isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: samdavies
DVD Compare website is not always accurate it does have mistakes sometimes in regards to releases specs
Some listing errors don't ever get corrected or take a long time before been corrected.

They slow to update listing errors and rely on users to provide updated info by using report system in forum area of their site and the report function is messy to use

It is still though a useful website when details are correct to see differences between other countries releases

Unfortunately the subs are hardcoded and can't be removed. I have an 820 and that option menu does not help. You click on the sub settings and the only available option is the setting for french subs with no up/down arrows to select anything else.

Back to Amazon it goes...
On Panasonic players you can alter the position of the forced subtitles up or down. So you can adjust it by pushing it down repeatedly until they actually drop off the screen. So they are still there but you can't see them!!

On Panasonic players you can alter the position of the forced subtitles up or down. So you can adjust it by pushing it down repeatedly until they actually drop off the screen. So they are still there but you can't see them!!

Thanks

I thought of that but unfortunately they didn't move down far enough. I also tried to dim them off, but again, to no avail.

Last edited:

I tried it again and it does work. Initially, I though it stopped at "-18" but it would appear my remote just stopped responding. Hitting down again allows a setting of -32 which removes them.

Thanks mate for finding a solution :thanks:

Reactions: Lenny Nero
Sent in the smallest, thinnest cardboard envelope mailer possible (the old style rubbish packaging). Absolute disgrace...but somehow has survived :wow:
Deliberately malicious to send so poorly to here? or is that the norm for France?

Cardboard envelopes are the norm for SteelBooks and Blu-Ray’s in general for Amazon.

They literally sell everything; you can’t expect them to package SteelBooks like a boutique company would do.
They changed to reinforced stronger ones though, at least from the UK for the past year, this one was those paperlike cardboard envelopes.
I certainly expect more suitable packaging than this, but have no choice.

They changed to reinforced stronger ones though, at least from the UK for the past year, this one was those paperlike cardboard envelopes.
I certainly expect more suitable packaging than this, but have no choice.
I think it comes down to the employee doing the packaging and what he/she considers appropriate at that particular moment.

Gotta remember that for 99% of population what actually matters is the movie itself and they think that packaging is not that important.
Most people wouldn’t care if amaray arrived slightly damaged because they ordered it to watch a movie, so when they pack a steelbook they probably think in a same way.

Gotta remember that for 99% of population what actually matters is the movie itself and they think that packaging is not that important.
Most people wouldn’t care if amaray arrived slightly damaged because they ordered it to watch a movie, so when they pack a steelbook they probably think in a same way.
u don't think like that for a steelbook, its common sense. Sure a standard 4K maybe with a sleeve they don't think matters, but not a steelbook, its just about being fast and not thinking or caring (most likely this), it has no come back on the packers,
they are under pressure to hit packing quotas, that's all that matters.

Reactions: TheWildEye
u don't think like that for a steelbook, its common sense. Sure a standard 4K maybe with a sleeve they don't think matters, but not a steelbook, its just about being fast and not thinking or caring (most likely this), it has no come back on the packers,
they are under pressure to hit packing quotas, that's all that matters.
I mean, i agree, course. You'd be surprised how many non-collectors won't though. So many people don't understand the steelbook obsession, or are even aware of it lol to them it's just a bit of tin holding an outdated media format.

I mean, i agree, course. You'd be surprised how many non-collectors won't though. So many people don't understand the steelbook obsession, or are even aware of it lol to them it's just a bit of tin holding an outdated media format.
I would even pay a little more for better packaging if they had an option to do so, will never be a thing though, only thing that matters is time and money.

My Drive SteelBook amazon replacement arrived today and is in perfect condition
Still was shipped in a cardboard mailier but was A2 size this time

Just have to do a return now of the previous order that arrived damaged
Amazon sometimes don't request be returned but they did on that order