Noodles

Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Feb 28, 2011
UK
Release date: September 6, 2023
Purchase link: Amazon FR - Fnac - E.Leclerc
Price: €34.99
Notes: Both UHD and Blu-ray discs has forced french subtitles when audio set to English - Some Panasonic players models not all have the ability to force subtitles off in player settings but some other brands of UHD players don't have that option

Screenshot 2023-08-26 at 11.46.22 Medium.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Cardboard envelopes are the norm for SteelBooks and Blu-Ray’s in general for Amazon.

They literally sell everything; you can’t expect them to package SteelBooks like a boutique company would do.
I can, and they did around a decade ago have these cardboard holders for steelbooks that survived trips half around the world.

Amazon Steelbook Packaging V2.jpg

Amazon Steelbook Packaging V1.jpg

Opening up the can of worms again.. I've just received my copy (a lovely steel) and I am able to turn off the french subs on the 4K disc, which come on by default when selecting the English Atmos track. Simply done via the UB820 player operations menu -> subtitle settings, while the film is playing.

Judging by what @Rulocal said, this obviously doesn't work on all UB820 players tbough. I'm not really sure why, but I'm not complaining lol means I can sell my second sight 4K disc!

20230921_151411.jpg

Reactions: Masterwu and Fmac72
Opening up the can of worms again.. I've just received my copy (a lovely steel) and I am able to turn off the french subs on the 4K disc, which come on by default when selecting the English Atmos track.
Nobody said the UHD disc subs were forced, we were talking about the Blu-ray. Try the Blu-ray. ;)

Opening up the can of worms again.. I've just received my copy (a lovely steel) and I am able to turn off the french subs on the 4K disc, which come on by default when selecting the English Atmos track. Simply done via the UB820 player operations menu -> subtitle settings, while the film is playing.

Judging by what @Rulocal said, this obviously doesn't work on all UB820 players tbough. I'm not really sure why, but I'm not complaining lol means I can sell my second sight 4K disc!

View attachment 563637
This French 4K transfer looks better than the one done by Second Sight?

This French 4K transfer looks better than Second Sights?
From the quick sample I compared earlier they look very similar, if not the same. I'd be surprised if they weren't the same master. Both have Dolby vision and English atmos. I'll have to do a more thorough comparison when I've got time.

• Thanks
Reactions: MM3
Nobody said the UHD disc subs were forced, we were talking about the Blu-ray. Try the Blu-ray. ;)
Drive france UHD disc subtitles are forced when using English Audio

For most that will apply unless you happen to have a UHD Player that has the ability to force subtitles off

Some panasonic UHD players you can force subs off and some have a firmware that is modified to do this

View attachment 563637
Your panasonic UHD player has a firmware that lets you force subtitles off

Most of the other brands UHD players don't have that function to force subs off

Your panasonic UHD player has a modifed firmware that is why force subtitles off will work
It's region modded, yes. I figured there may be something else playing a factor here, but there wasn't any mention of mods that would allow this back when I bought the firmware.

I know, you said. That'll mean Leonine and SS have lost their licences though. Sony can't put out a release if a boutique label have exclusivity.
Second Sight release is still available in regards to standard editions

Sony doing a release does not affect Second Sight having their own release

They are different releases

It's only the disc extras that's exclusive on Second Sight release

Second Sight release is still available in regards to standard editions

Sony doing a release does not affect Second Sight having their own release

They are different releases

It's only the disc extras that exclusive on Second Sight release
Second sight, the same as Leonine, would have had an exclusivity license for the film in the region for a certain period of time. That's fairly standard for licensing agreements.

No other distributor can put out a new release within that period. Old editions can still be sold, but that's it. If Sony are putting out a release it should mean SS' exclusivity is over.

Remaining SS releases can still be sold, but any new releases would come from whomever the license reverted to, which seems to be Sony in this instance.

Content exclusivity is a different thing entirely. I'm purely talking about the ability to distribute the film in a region.