Dunkirk (4K and Blu-ray SteelBooks) (Manta Lab Exclusive No. 16) [Hong Kong]

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Release date: October 30, 2020
Purchase links: Box Set - Full Slip (4K + BD + Bonus) - Single Lenti (4K + BD + Bonus) - Double Lenti (BD + Bonus) (Pre-order on August 28 at 8 PM - Hong Kong time)
Price: $159.97 (Box Set) - $52.99 (Full Slip - Single Lenti) - $47.99 (Double Lenti)
Group buy: Box Set - Full Slip - Single Lenti - Double Lenti
Note: One Click 400 copies - Full Slip 800 copies - Single Lenti 800 copies - Double Lenti 800 copies

WEA - Exclusive Steelcase designed by Manta Lab features "Full Glossy" Finish and "Debossed Title".
Full Slip: Scratch Resistance Coating, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing, Spot Foil
Lenticular Full Slip: 3D Lenticular, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing, Spot Foil
Double Lenticular Full Slip: 3D Lenticular x 2, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing, Spot Foil
One Click Box: Scratch Resistance Coating, Spot Glossy, Spot Matte, Embossing, Spot Holofoil
Premiums: Booklet, Postcards, Character Cards, Envelope, Exclusive Numbering Sticker, Exclusive Release Front Sticker, Exclusive Release Lenticular Sticker, Tip On.

Dunkirk_Overall_OC_5000x.jpgDunkirk_Overall_FS_5000x.jpgDunkirk_Overall_LS_5000x.jpgDunkirk_Overall_DLS_5000x.jpg
9F229698-06D1-4494-8370-73D70FF3D4E3.jpeg

Last edited:
I hear you.

FYI, the above is only a partial quote of a much longer convo. He was very apologetic at the beginning (as he usually is when there's something wrong) and some personal details were discussed so I didn't copy those in there. Hands down one of the nicest people to communicate with.

Right, the edit didn't show up until I refreshed the page.

Nice to know. Honestly he’s a stand up guy. Comes across lovely and was incredibly sharing about everything when I used to speak to him. From the struggles in that industry to the stuff behind the scenes with studios and their process to what their plans were next etc. Even personal stuff too to a degree. I remember him telling me about the crash and then that’s when we spoke less which I’m guessing was due to that and him taking a step back. (Actually I also remember him publicly mentioning that too and that things had been slower since then)

Well although the slips may not be the best for both films, the steels are certainly fantastic especially OUATIH

Reactions: IRON MAN
Nice to know. Honestly he’s a stand up guy. Comes across lovely and was incredibly sharing about everything when I used to speak to him. From the struggles in that industry to the stuff behind the scenes with studios and their process to what their plans were next etc. Even personal stuff too to a degree. I remember him telling me about the crash and then that’s when we spoke less which I’m guessing was due to that and him taking a step back. (Actually I also remember him publicly mentioning that too and that things had been slower since then)

Well although the slips may not be the best for both films, the steels are certainly fantastic especially OUATIH

Indeed he suffered from his injuries for quite a while.

100% for steels, that's what I'm buying these for.

Reactions: Flloydo
I don't see it being defensive at all. :)

He clearly says "I start to question the people" and by that he means the team working on the editions not the customers, if that's what you guys are referring to? As in "I'm investigating".

He did see it. I mentioned it in the subsequent post.
Appreciate the clarification. I thought it meant they question the people buying the product who have been underwhelmed. Re-reading I think you’re right.

Appreciate the clarification. I thought it meant they question the people buying the product who have been underwhelmed. Re-reading I think you’re right.

Understandable.

FYI, the above is only a partial quote of a much longer convo. He was very apologetic at the beginning (as he usually is when there's something wrong) and some personal details were discussed so I didn't copy those in there. Hands down one of the nicest people to communicate with.

Thanks for posting that @IRON MAN and also the clarification. Just like the others, I was caught off guard by the "questioning people" part. Glad it's sorted now.

I'm one of those people who are not happy with "Joker" (FS) and "OUATIH" (LFS). Both don't live up to the quality we got used to from previous ML releases. Granted the studios were restrictive with the artworks, but the in terms of finishing touches and lenti quality both could have been better.
Someone else posted a comparison between the Fanatic and Manta DLFS for "OUATIH". The differences are pretty obvious, with Fanatic being a lot clearer and more crisp. That is the lenti quality I was expecting from ML, too, and which they had delivered on their previous releases with ease. I hope they the manage to bring that quality back. Therefore I'm anxious to read people's thoughts on "Birds of Prey" - hopefully things will have turned around already with this release.

Thanks for posting that @IRON MAN and also the clarification. Just like the others, I was caught off guard by the "questioning people" part. Glad it's sorted now.

I'm one of those people who are not happy with "Joker" (FS) and "OUATIH" (LFS). Both don't live up to the quality we got used to from previous ML releases. Granted the studios were restrictive with the artworks, but the in terms of finishing touches and lenti quality both could have been better.
Someone else posted a comparison between the Fanatic and Manta DLFS for "OUATIH". The differences are pretty obvious, with Fanatic being a lot clearer and more crisp. That is the lenti quality I was expecting from ML, too, and which they had delivered on their previous releases with ease. I hope they the manage to bring that quality back. Therefore I'm anxious to read people's thoughts on "Birds of Prey" - hopefully things will have turned around already with this release.

yeah when the comparison was posted it was clear that Manta’s was much lower in quality. I wish I could have fanatics dl slip only to swap over. I really find the manta one just hard to look at.
luckily as a whole it’s not as bad a joker. I still love the OUATIH SL, FS (thought that was going to be the weakest), steelbook and OC box. I’d say the last 2 are the highlights for sure

fingers crossed for BoP

Agreed. But in fairness to those people (certainly some if not all), the comparison was done with previous ML releases which had set a standard. :)

I personally don't agree with all the negative feedback that was shared in both release threads, they're not as bad as some make them out to be.

However, there has been a slight regression in the clarity, for Once Upon... when compared to previous ML releases. John noticed it himself after our chat by examining closely what I had pointed out.

Joker on the other hand suffered a bit - as far as the lentis are concerned - from the choice of artwork, and that's not on ML since it's the studio that approves the artwork. Images approved were dark (some might say too dark?) and as some might know, darker colors don't make up for great lentis. Bright and light imagery will often be the most successful.
This being said I think people just like to bash Manta these days.
I was unsure the team was the same and questioned their quality but, in the end, they've probably just began trying to release more consistently and, maybe quality has suffered.
With OUATIH they probably tried something different, something brave, bit it didn't work.
Joker's SL is a beauty though.
I'm sure BoP will be dope (I've picked up the SL) and Dunkirk will be as well.
The problem is I've seen many people complaining about every single aspect of a release and sometimes that appears to be a bit too much.
Still my 0.02 though.

Reactions: zeebeer
I was unsure the team was the same and questioned their quality but, in the end, they've probably just began trying to release more consistently and, maybe quality has suffered.
With OUATIH they probably tried something different, something brave, bit it didn't work.
The problem is I've seen many people complaining about every single aspect of a release and sometimes that appears to be a bit too much.
Still my 0.02 though.
From what I've seen on pics the only thing that's actually a disaster is the Joker Fullslip. Ouatih was original and some people liked it and some people didn't. I did. Like you said manta hasn't been as good as before but they certainly aren't as bad as other people say. I'm sure they'll recover when this pandemic calms down a bit.

It was? Back is great, front is plain. Is this enough to call it "a disaster"?
Well maybe not disaster. Can't really find the fitting English word for it. 'Extremely disappointing' maybe? :)
But I really can't judge it properly because I don't have it myself. Just the unboxing vids and pics made it look very bad to me.
The hair on the front still makes me.. Uncomfortable.

Still my 0.02 though.

From what I've seen on pics the only thing that's actually a disaster is the Joker Fullslip. Ouatih was original and some people liked it and some people didn't. I did. Like you said manta hasn't been as good as before but they certainly aren't as bad as other people say. I'm sure they'll recover when this pandemic calms down a bit.

when you own every single release in some
Shape or form (whether it’s one edition or a one click) and the quality the majority of the time is 100% and you then see them start to slip that looks like it could be a trend then there’s reason for concern. Especially more so when your such a huge fan of their work anyway

however, every single premium retailer has slipped at some point and then brought it back. Sometimes it’s because of the material used when trying something different, sometimes it’s lack of choice for art and the quality of those images/ posters and how they will translate as say a Lenti, sometimes it’s design choice like lack of finish on a full slip and sometimes it’s lack of quality because of high volumes of releases.

I’d say manta have definitely been struck with points 1, 2 and 3 at the odd time and I like to think it’s not because of point 4 Because they still have a steady release and don’t over do it like some retailers but like I’ve said I hope it’s just a small bump in the road. I’ve only ever been disappointed by one slip previous to joker as a whole and the OUATIH DL

Still my 0.02 though.
As someone who has bought at least one editon of almost every release they’ve put out, I definitely don’t ‘like’ to bash on Manta Lab. I probably would have said they were my all-round favorite label (consistency, types of movies, creativity, ordering process)

They hit a high watermark for quality/consistency and recently haven’t been as good. That’s going to get highlighted and stand out even more when they had been so good for the entire line up until very recently.

when you own every single release in some
Shape or form (whether it’s one edition or a one click) and the quality the majority of the time is 100% and you then see them start to slip that looks like it could be a trend then there’s reason for concern. Especially more so when your such a huge fan of their work anyway

however, every single premium retailer has slipped at some point and then brought it back. Sometimes it’s because of the material used when trying something different, sometimes it’s lack of choice for art and the quality of those images/ posters and how they will translate as say a Lenti, sometimes it’s design choice like lack of finish on a full slip and sometimes it’s lack of quality because of high volumes of releases.

I’d say manta have definitely been struck with points 1, 2 and 3 at the odd time and I like to think it’s not because of point 4 Because they still have a steady release and don’t over do it like some retailers but like I’ve said I hope it’s just a small bump in the road. I’ve only ever been disappointed by one slip previous to joker as a whole and the OUATIH DL
True. I haven't been collecting for long and I'm on a budget so I only own like 4 or 5 Mantas, which are all great. I can understand that it's a bit (read: very) worrying to see them go from the Se7en fullslip to A Star Is Born within months and then continuing that trend after putting out 25 releases which were all very good.

True. I haven't been collecting for long and I'm on a budget so I only own like 4 or 5 Mantas, which are all great. I can understand that it's a bit (read: very) worrying to see them go from the Se7en fullslip to A Star Is Born within months and then continuing that trend after putting out 25 releases which were all very good.

The a star is born full slip was also the one I was referring to that I wasn’t happy with. Still nice but could of done with a bit more treatment