Entertainment One (EOne) - SteelBook Poll - new products [UK]

Which of these Steelbooks would you like to see produced....

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
this needs to be the front cover for lost in translation steelbook

Lost-In.jpg

Good to see one of the bigger players in the steelbook game asking for feedback. Not overly fussed with the options listed in the poll, but on a slightly different note, when releasing a steelbook (whether a new title or a previously released one) could you please endeavour to give us the best possible version? Personally it's the whole package that appeals to me, not just the steelbook design. If I'm buying a premium product I would like the best audio and picture quality available, plus as many extras as possible. Too often steelbook releases seem to used to shift older titles that are otherwise stagnating in standard amaray cases, or (like Grosse Pointe Blank) are crying out for retrospective extras, or (like Predestination) we get shafted in the UK with a substandard transfer and few extras, albeit in an attractive steelbook, but pretty much every other territory gets an extras-loaded release. I know these examples are not eOne releases, but as a collector, not just a viewer, I want something that will enhance my viewing experience and make it feel like the steelbook is the pinnacle of home viewing, rather than some cynical attempt to shift stock that otherwise isn't selling.

Reactions: Marina Blue
Good to see one of the bigger players in the steelbook game asking for feedback. Not overly fussed with the options listed in the poll, but on a slightly different note, when releasing a steelbook (whether a new title or a previously released one) could you please endeavour to give us the best possible version? Personally it's the whole package that appeals to me, not just the steelbook design. If I'm buying a premium product I would like the best audio and picture quality available, plus as many extras as possible. Too often steelbook releases seem to used to shift older titles that are otherwise stagnating in standard amaray cases, or (like Grosse Pointe Blank) are crying out for retrospective extras, or (like Predestination) we get shafted in the UK with a substandard transfer and few extras, albeit in an attractive steelbook, but pretty much every other territory gets an extras-loaded release. I know these examples are not eOne releases, but as a collector, not just a viewer, I want something that will enhance my viewing experience and make it feel like the steelbook is the pinnacle of home viewing, rather than some cynical attempt to shift stock that otherwise isn't selling.
Fully agree, they should be what the definitive DVD-editions were in the UK. Still bummed about the The Avengers Steelbook without any extra goodies and forgettable extras on the disc itself. Even the extras on tge The Hobbit Steelbook releases aren't as good as the extras on the EE's of LOTR anymore... Give us movie lovers something to enjoy, we will pay crazy money as you already found out!

I am quite shock with the interest in Lost In Translation!! Generally speaking, drama on Blu Ray does not convert well, although I know the pedigree of this film is very different! Again, I am going to pitch this internally, and hopefully come back to you with 3 pieces of artwork to choose from.

Hey Adrian!

Thanks for letting us have a bit of inside info on how your position works.

You are on one spectrum of this while we are on the other and what i mean is, we know what the demand is for us collectors and you have the business perspective and know what sells generally speaking.

Well, while i do agree with you that Drama movies might not sell you the complete 4000 run, some titles will sell pretty good and those are the "cult movies" specially the ones that never got any special treatment anywhere. You have to keep in mind that most of us in the forum collect editions from all over the world. Lost in Translation is one of those cult movies that actually never got a really good special treatment anywhere.

All you have to do is look at the Novamedia and Plain Archive editions from Korea and you know that if done properly, a title like that will sell well. They are even selling out amaray cases with exclusive slip-boxes because they are so well produced. Of course their print runs on these are way lower than 4000 but they have some steels of drama movies that did sell well, like Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind which isn't sold out yet but i believe it performed well (although they do use some tricks to sell better with all the different kind of slips).

Anyway we can all learn form each other here!

Last edited:
Hi Adrian,

I would like to thank you for actually taking time out to explain from an industry standpoint why steels sometimes don't get released.Your reply was pretty insightful and one I'm sure will help the HDN community as a whole. It's something that would be good for other studios/retailers to do so that there is less complaint when things either never get released or when they they do get bad artwork. Although it will be difficult to please everyone.
I am quite shock with the interest in Lost In Translation!! Generally speaking, drama on Blu Ray does not convert well, although I know the pedigree of this film is very different! Again, I am going to pitch this internally, and hopefully come back to you with 3 pieces of artwork to choose from.

thanks for listening to this too. I hope it pans out to become a reality.

Reactions: digitalbabe