snooloui

The 'Negative' Ninja
Premium Supporter
Feb 12, 2012
UK
Release date: June 1st, 2015
Purchase link: Ex_Machina
Price: £21.99
Notes: Embossed Front with Gloss Varnish Finish and Debossed Reverse. Limited to 2,000 copies.
Steelbook is not silver

11072619-1424269404-678753.jpg

11072619-1424269404-678814.jpg

11072619-1424269404-678707.jpg

11072619-1424269404-678702.jpg

11072619-1424269404-678758.jpg

In hand hidefninja.com exclusive pics:
Posted here 12:09pm EST, May 7 as received from Zavvi

cjgidi1431014896-jpg.158575

be2uwy1431014853-jpg.158576

fl3rah1431014804-jpg.158577

Last edited by a moderator:
Just finished watching. Was interesting to say the least. I can see how this could be the type of film you either love or hate. I loved it. It was a little on the slow side, but it worked.

So what. I don't care. I will never watch it again. Any Terminator movie will be a lot more fun to watch than this boring film.

What??????

You changed your tune very quickly?

I was one of the people that got the cancellation notice after being able to place an order when they had some additional units in stock... now no steel for me :(

What??????

You changed your tune very quickly?

I never changed the tune. I thought it was good. Not anything that I thought I would watch over and over. I went in watching the movie with my expectations low considering how low the budget was for the film. I thought they did a good job.

I never changed the tune. I thought it was good. Not anything that I thought I would watch over and over. I went in watching the movie with my expectations low considering how low the budget was for the film. I thought they did a good job.

Well, I'm not big on semantics and all, but going from "Loved it" to it being a "boring film" is in fact a solid 180 - just saying. Maybe you were pissed off that zavvi didn't fulfill all your re-re-re-re orders and now that you don't have that many copies to sell on eBay, creating an additional hype by "loving" it is no longer necessary. Fine either way, I still think the movie is good, not great, and the steelbook is presumably awesome by the looks of the pics!

I loved it for what it was worth. No reason getting into a bickering contest. I just feel it was a good movie, but not something earth shattering like a few people on here are praising about. I would expect the Majority of Amercians to think this film was a snooze fest. Not everyone has to agree with what they feel is either an amazing film or a great film. Lots of great films I would only watch once. I don't think this film is going to get many repeat viewings. I still think it is great for the story they portrayed, but it was still a little on the shallow side all in all. Nothing wrong with that. Lets just enjoy this steel. Its amazing.

Another movie that I feel this way about is Snowpiercer. I loved it, but also felt it was slow and borring most the time. Great story but I feel that with a bigger budget could have been much better. I doubt I will watch it again although I feel it is a great film.

I was one of the people that got the cancellation notice after being able to place an order when they had some additional units in stock... now no steel for me :(

I got the cancellation notice as well, which is disappointing as I was really looking forward to this steelbook and film (haven't watch it yet). And what pains me even more are people selling it on eBay for double the price. Does anyone know if any other retailers might sell a similar white steelbook, even though it says Zavvi Exclusive (does this even have any meaning anymore?)?

Great story but I feel that with a bigger budget could have been much better. I doubt I will watch it again although I feel it is a great film.
The issue you have with the film's low budget confuses me slightly again, mate. For what Ex Machina tries to do on an artistic level I don't see how throwing more money at it can actually make it a better film, you know? Bigger budgets often make films worse really... or at-least they can sometimes make directors a little less creative. I mean, the budget for The Hobbit movies was considerably larger than the money-kitty that Peter Jackson had to play with on the LOTR films - and we all know how things turned out there. When you say that you think Ex Machina would have been better with a bigger budget do you just mean that there would have been more dumb-fun enjoyment in the way of action set-pieces? To make the film seem more epic shall we say. If so, that's fair enough. I just feel like there's a bit of vagueness to your thoughts on the film so far.

I loved it for what it was worth. No reason getting into a bickering contest. I just feel it was a good movie, but not something earth shattering like a few people on here are praising about. I would expect the Majority of Amercians to think this film was a snooze fest. Not everyone has to agree with what they feel is either an amazing film or a great film. Lots of great films I would only watch once. I don't think this film is going to get many repeat viewings. I still think it is great for the story they portrayed, but it was still a little on the shallow side all in all. Nothing wrong with that. Lets just enjoy this steel. Its amazing.

Another movie that I feel this way about is Snowpiercer. I loved it, but also felt it was slow and borring most the time. Great story but I feel that with a bigger budget could have been much better. I doubt I will watch it again although I feel it is a great film.

The whole point of the film was to be a thought provoking drama and raise questions about humanity not to be an action packed thriller.

Does anyone know if any other retailers might sell a similar white steelbook?

The German steel from Amazon DE is similar, thread here, it's also out of stock but you could try submitting your email to receive a notification in case it comes back in stock.

And the Italian release is similar as well, thread here.

Reactions: Ranavalone
Does anyone know if any other retailers might sell a similar white steelbook, even though it says Zavvi Exclusive (does this even have any meaning anymore?)?
The term, retailer exclusive, has the same meaning as always; sold exclusively by a retailer in a particular country.

The same steelbook is going to be available at least in Germany and Italy (DVD-STORE exclusive) and HDzeta is planning a release in China. You can easily find the threads for these releases at HDN (I'm currently browsing on a phone, linking to other threads is a bit awkward).

[Already answered by Apollon, typing on the phone is slow as well :LOL: ]

Reactions: howiesteed
Really enjoyed this - blind buy and the steelbook was mint when opened, no marks or chips or dents of any kind which, given the design and finish, was something I'd feared. Definitely worth a rewatch for me and a keeper.

The German steel from Amazon DE is similar, thread here, it's also out of stock but you could try submitting your email to receive a notification in case it comes back in stock.

And the Italian release is similar as well, thread here.

The term, retailer exclusive, has the same meaning as always; sold exclusively by a retailer in a particular country.

The same steelbook is going to be available at least in Germany and Italy (DVD-STORE exclusive) and HDzeta is planning a release in China. You can easily find the threads for these releases at HDN (I'm currently browsing on a phone, linking to other threads is a bit awkward).

[Already answered by Apollon, typing on the phone is slow as well :LOL: ]

Thanks for the reply @Apollon and @Ranavalone, I greatly appreciate it! Amazon.de sold out and the cost for the Italian released is almost doubled the price of the Zavvi after shipping. Hopefully HDZeta's version has a slipcover and the extras as I'm willing to pay the premium price for those. Even better if there's a US release...