UK
Release date: February 18, 2019
Purchase links: Zavvi - HMV - Zoom
Price: £29.99

12016235-1654640826129510.jpg
01-449387.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: steelmybeatingheart
Yep, it always sucks when the best poster is used for TBC art. (n)

Yes it does. When poster art gets used these days it's usually for the amaray or the DVD which I guess makes sense since more copies are sold of those than steelbooks. I wish they would just use the same art on both. But I think the view from the steelbook creators is that people want something different from the amaray so that way they can buy both.

I'm not sure they realize that people don't generally buy both and that different isn't better. As we all know different too often means worse.

Yes it does. When poster art gets used these days it's usually for the amaray or the DVD which I guess makes sense since more copies are sold of those than steelbooks. I wish they would just use the same art on both. But I think the view from the steelbook creators is that people want something different from the amaray so that way they can buy both.

I'm not sure they realize that people don't generally buy both and that different isn't better. As we all know different too often means worse.

Last edited:

I doubt the general public buys the amaray version based on the artwork.
The general public buy the amaray to watch the movie and would still buy it irrespective of the artwork. So really don't understand why the studios waste their best art on the amaray.

Yes, not a fan of the £29.99 pricing for regular 4K/2D steelbooks and feel £24.99 quite expensive enough.

As for the artwork: looks good!
With recent Universal steelbooks - such as FALLEN KINGDOM using original poster art (minus title) - see no reason why the FIRST MAN steelbook cover isn't the famous poster or even in similar style such as the cooler and more spacey looking blue 'n' black 'Big Head' design (Big Head design after all no stranger to space-set steelbooks) . . .
1539357697779.png
1539357841624.png
1539357878257.png
1539358485372.png

. . . but as much as I like the TBC artwork those sparks/flashes/embers or whatever they are that have plagued so many steelbooks over the years I can well do without . . .

Reactions: robbodoc
I quite like that design even though it isn't that original. I hope it ends up being the final artwork.

Reactions: Flloydo
I quite like that design even though it isn't that original. I hope it ends up being the final artwork.

Same, if it stays like that and don’t sell out then I’ll pick it up on a price drop but tbh I’m hoping manta at least use it on somthing. A full slip with a lovely spot gloss here and there would work a treat

A cool cover would be A) flag planted on the moon .... but of course that wont happen for a few reasons. or B) Astronaut jumping out making that first landing.

As far as epic photoshop covers, this "not yet confirmed" art would do.

I was so blinded by the cool mock-up that I didn't register the price (even though I'm the one who put it in the OP). :wacky:

But, yeah... no deal at £30!? For that price, people may as well just pay that little bit extra and get a premium release instead.

• Thanks
Reactions: Stygian
For those not yet embracing the 4K UHD format there's always the regular Blu-ray only FIRST MAN steelbook releases . . . such as this one from France :-
1539866881700.png

29.99 (4K) or 22.99 (Blu-ray)

• Thanks
Reactions: jonnybobbytimmy