Gangs Of New York (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Novamedia Exclusive #24) [Korea]

Aniv

Premium Supporter
Jan 6, 2015
Release date: September 27, 2019
Purchase links: 1/4 Slip - Full Slip - Lenticular Full Slip A - Lenticular Full Slip B - Box Set (Pre-order Aug 22, 2019 @ 10 PM (Korea Time, UTC+9) - check your local time here)
Price: $35.99 (Full Slip) - $36.99 (Lenti A or B) - $129.99 (One Click) - $34.99 (1/4 Slip not numbered)
Group buy: hosted by Aniv Lenti A - Lenti B - Full Slip - 1/4 Slip
Notes: WEA, Total Print Run 3000 (One Click 300, Full Slip 700, Lenti A 700, Lenti B 700, 1/4 Slip)

67827638_338639917071369_3984414256824057856_n.jpglenti a.jpglenti b.jpgone click.jpgquarter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Daaaaaaamn. That’s a shame cos the Nightcrawler lenti is aces.
I know right, not impressed at all. They're off now until the 4th Jan so I'm going to have to place another order with nightcrawler and atleast one other steel I hadn't considered buying previously (to smooth shipping costs) or risk missing the sale prices :(

Reactions: Punker76
My full slip finally arrived today. No dents or anything but a couple of deep nicks right through to the metal on the front and back. I was mostly able to fill them in with a little touch-up paint and sharpie. You can still see a couple of them if you hold the steelbook on an angle and in certain light but they're covered up well and the steelbook does look nice. The only one I couldn't cover was a thin nick on Dicaprio's face on the front (no markers or paint to match the color). So instead of having the silvery metal showing I filled it in with black and at least it blends in better with the color scheme now. Anyway, it was well worth the sale price.

Last edited:
Reactions: jasong
My full slip finally arrived today. No dents or anything but a couple of deep nicks right through to the metal on the front and back. I was mostly able to fill them in with a little touch-up paint and sharpie. You can still see a couple of them if you hold the steelbook on an angle and in certain light but they're covered up well and the steelbook does look nice. The only one I couldn't cover was a thin nick on Dicaprio's face on the front (no markers or paint to match the color). So instead of having the silvery metal showing I filled it in with black and at least it blends in better with the color scheme now. Anyway, it was well worth the sale price.
My steel was very similar mate, down to the mark on leo's face on the front. About a 1cm straight cut down to the metal, near the right hand edge. Only one I couldn't cover myself. Sharpie is usually a god send, no use with skin tone though unfortunately.

I was mostly able to fill them in with a little touch-up paint and sharpie. You can still see a couple of them if you hold the steelbook on an angle and in certain light but they're covered up well and the steelbook does look nice. The only one I couldn't cover was a thin nick on Dicaprio's face on the front (no markers or paint to match the color). So instead of having the silvery metal showing I filled it in with black and at least it blends in better with the color scheme now.

Sharpie is usually a god send, no use with skin tone though unfortunately.
giphy.gif

If a steelbook is bad enough that it needs touching up with sharpies because of paint chips and/or bare metal exposed etc, I'd be seeking a mint replacement from the retailer and not touching them up myself. Unless of course you purchased via other means and this isn't possible, then fair enough, but personally speaking I'm not a fan of ever having to use a Sharpie on steels. To me steelbooks are premium products and to touch it up with a pen just seems wrong, IMO. I did one time buy a used Blade II Japan steelbook and the owner had previously touched it up with a sharpie (without disclosing this first) and it looked dreadful, I imagine moreso than if he/she had just left it as is. Especially on a matte steelbook anyway. Would never recommend it myself but if the person doing it is happier after the fact, then good for them and their collection. Just don't be selling that sh!t later on and not highlighting it first. :cautious::LOL::rolleyes:

Reactions: milky and DMD4k
If a steelbook is bad enough that it needs touching up with sharpies because of paint chips and/or bare metal exposed etc, I'd be seeking a mint replacement from the retailer and not touching them up myself. Unless of course you purchased via other means and this isn't possible, then fair enough, but personally speaking I'm not a fan of ever having to use a Sharpie on steels. To me steelbooks are premium products and to touch it up with a pen just seems wrong, IMO. I did one time buy a used Blade II Japan steelbook and the owner had previously touched it up with a sharpie (without disclosing this first) and it looked dreadful, I imagine moreso than if he/she had just left it as is. Especially on a matte steelbook anyway. Would never recommend it myself but if the person doing it is happier after the fact, then good for them and their collection. Just don't be selling that sh!t later on and not highlighting it first. :cautious::LOL::rolleyes:
Perfect world, I'd agree with you. Ideal option would always be a mint replacement.. However, if all nova would offer is a few nova points, Zavvi have no stock left or it's a 2nd hand steel etc.. sometimes you've just got to work with what you've got. Matte steels it very rarely works on, agreed. I've tried and 8/10 it looks a mess and I wish I'd left it alone :banghead: If we're talking about a black or very dark glossy section with a little nick, it can work quite well and IMO does look better than seeing an obvious silver scratch. With a hard rub it'll usually come off anyway, if an eventual honest resale comes about :thanks:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mickle_89

Good for you. To each their own. This steelbook only cost me a tad over $20 with shipping since I bought other stuff. How bent out of shape am I really supposed to be about a couple of fixable paint chips on a $20 'premium?' When my weet Captain Marvel came covered in scratches I requested a replacement.

It's not like I'm talking about really bad damage like a huge scuff across the surface of a steelbook. It's small chips and scratches (when I wrote deep nicks earlier I only meant they went through the paint. They were neither large in size nor damaged the metal underneath). If you know what you're doing the repair work on minor paint issues is rather easy most of the time. I generally use paint pens and occasionally dab of sharpie.

I don't just draw over the damaged area and leave it as is; that would look ridiculous. I have a process that that involves a few steps and other ingredients, so to speak, which allows me to blend the paint/sharpie into the rest of the steelbook. I know that in most cases I can fix a paint chip entirely (as in it's totally gone because I can get the touch up paint to fill it in and perfectly match the steelbook color and finish whether glossy or matte) or at worst make it barely visible. That to me is better than unnecessarily and wastefully requesting a replacement from overseas that isn't guaranteed to arrive in mint condition anyway - and it's really no different than using an unsharpened pencil or wooden spoon to finesse out a small dent.

And I'm not an unethical pos who would sell a modified steelbook to someone as unaltered. But thanks for the advice.

This is the back of my Gangs of New York steelbook. Along the left edge there was a not very large paint chip down to the metal that I filled in with a mix of red and black paint pens (I didn't use a sharpie on this one). It was about 3/4 of the way down where the red gets darker. I just wanted to clarify that's the type of repair work I was discussing earlier.
S4520002.JPG

Reactions: samdavies
Good for you. To each their own. This steelbook only cost me a tad over $20 with shipping since I bought other stuff. How bent out of shape am I really supposed to be about a couple of fixable paint chips on a $20 'premium?' When my weet Captain Marvel came covered in scratches I requested a replacement.

It's not like I'm talking about really bad damage like a huge scuff across the surface of a steelbook. It's small chips and scratches (when I wrote deep nicks earlier I only meant they went through the paint. They were neither large in size nor damaged the metal underneath). If you know what you're doing the repair work on minor paint issues is rather easy most of the time. I generally use paint pens and occasionally dab of sharpie.

I don't just draw over the damaged area and leave it as is; that would look ridiculous. I have a process that that involves a few steps and other ingredients, so to speak, which allows me to blend the paint/sharpie into the rest of the steelbook. I know that in most cases I can fix a paint chip entirely (as in it's totally gone because I can get the touch up paint to fill it in and perfectly match the steelbook color and finish whether glossy or matte) or at worst make it barely visible. That to me is better than unnecessarily and wastefully requesting a replacement from overseas that isn't guaranteed to arrive in mint condition anyway - and it's really no different than using an unsharpened pencil or wooden spoon to finesse out a small dent.

And I'm not an unethical pos who would sell a modified steelbook to someone as unaltered. But thanks for the advice.
Good for you, too! :) I did say that if the person doing it is more satisfied after the fact then good for them. People collect in many different ways, sealed/unsealed, Sharpie/no Sharpie :writing: :p So if someone wants to touch up their steelbook who am I to say otherwise, I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter since it was raised. Didn't once say anyone here was an unethical POS that would unscrupulously sell a touched up steel lol, the last part of my post was obviously spoken in jest, or not as it would seem. I just mentioned it as an experience of seeing a black steelbook poorly touched up with a sharpie and how it's not for me. Your method is clearly more in depth and I'm glad it works for you :thumbs:

Moving on...

Reactions: JGCramp and DMD4k
Good for you, too! :) I did say that if the person doing it is more satisfied after the fact then good for them. People collect in many different ways, sealed/unsealed, Sharpie/no Sharpie :writing: :p So if someone wants to touch up their steelbook who am I to say otherwise, I'm just voicing my opinion on the matter since it was raised. Didn't once say anyone here was an unethical POS that would unscrupulously sell a touched up steel lol, the last part of my post was obviously spoken in jest, or not as it would seem. I just mentioned it as an experience of seeing a black steelbook poorly touched up with a sharpie and how it's not for me. Your method is clearly more in depth and I'm glad it works for you :thumbs:

Moving on...
Thanks and my last response there was a bit too snarky. I wasn't trying being a jerk but maybe I came across that way so just wanted to clarify. It stinks that someone sent you that marked up Blade steelbook. One time someone sold me a 'mint' steelbook. They even included pictures of what they said was the copy they were sellin in the listing. When the box arrived (with no damage) the steelbook inside was bent like a banana.

i did that all ready, so i'm just waiting on the response.....i just wanted to know if they were ignoring me lol
I meant to drop them a message on this Tuesday coming (if you hadn't already), which will be the 5th when they're back lol

Unlikely to be straight up ignoring you, there's just nobody there. Probably worth a chase in a few days if they haven't got back to you. Waiting on a response myself :rolleyes:

Reactions: tono06
In nova's defence, I've just had a very positive bit of customer service from them...

I ordered Nightcrawler lenti along with GONY and they sent me Dredd Red PET by mistake. I emailed, but they were out of office until 4th Jan, the sale was ending and there were only 4 Nightcrawler lentis left in stock... :ohno:

So I took it upon myself to order a replacement along with Taken, The Grey and Alice in Wonderland lenti (why not!? Lol). Good job I did too seeing as they're now apparently sold out!

They've emailed me back today apologising. Told me to keep Dredd and they'd send me Nightcrawler with my next order. I explained I'd essentially already done that for them and after a bit of explanation they refunded me the $27.24 Nightcrawler plus additional postage cost me.

Bit of a faff but very positive experience overall :thanks:

In nova's defence, I've just had a very positive bit of customer service from them...

I did, too. They responded promptly to my issue and helped me out immediately. I was impressed but it could just be that I’m used to Zavvi and everything is good by comparison.

I did, too. They responded promptly to my issue and helped me out immediately. I was impressed but it could just be that I’m used to Zavvi and everything is good by comparison.
Same here, I was about to compliment them vs the sh*tshow that zavvi put on most of the time. We must have low expectations now.

To be fair, Amazon UK and EU CS are usually tip top as well, it's generally zavvi we all have issues with. It's just unfortunate that 90% of steels go through them in the UK.

Reactions: JGCramp