Jul 22, 2010
Paris - France
Release date: October 1st, 2013
Best Buy SKU: 2214048
Purchase link: Best Buy.com

pix from wnicholas76
iamlegendBB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, unfortunately some studios are not willing to 'jump right in' with all of the bells and whistles for Steels, like others are-especially not because the market is new in terms of Steel coverage. There are now 100's and 100's of Steelbook releases worlwide since the 1st one. More releases are coming, and hopefully we'll see more complex releases in terms of art and finishes from a variety of studios sooner, rather than later. All depends on what studio is receptive to those 'extras'...

Maybe production in the US is not set up to handle inside artwork? It would be worth it to me, if the Canadian releases have inside artwork to purchase from Canada. Lot more money, but would be worth it. The ones with no interior art seem like generic product.

Yes, unfortunately some studios are not willing to 'jump right in' with all of the bells and whistles for Steels, like others are-especially not because the market is new in terms of Steel coverage. There are now 100's and 100's of Steelbook releases worlwide since the 1st one. More releases are coming, and hopefully we'll see more complex releases in terms of art and finishes from a variety of studios sooner, rather than later. All depends on what studio is receptive to those 'extras'...

The 'market is new' excuse has been used for too long now. It has been over a year since the huge Best Buy wave. Since then collectors have expressed disappointment with the lack of effort shown on Steelbook releases numerous times and nothing has changed.

Maybe production in the US is not set up to handle inside artwork? It would be worth it to me, if the Canadian releases have inside artwork to purchase from Canada. Lot more money, but would be worth it. The ones with no interior art seem like generic product.

I'm pretty sure the artwork is printed before the Steelbook is formed, so there would be no differentiation between internal and external artwork.

I'm pretty sure the artwork is printed before the Steelbook is formed, so there would be no differentiation between internal and external artwork.

I am well aware of how the printing process works. Maybe they don't have the capabilities to print on both sides before forming.

The 'market is new' excuse has been used for too long now. It has been over a year since the huge Best Buy wave. Since then collectors have expressed disappointment with the lack of effort shown on Steelbook releases numerous times and nothing has changed.

The studios don't see it that way-the studio has the ultimate power on what will get released, and if they don't feel the market is mature in a certain country, a certain edition will not get released there. Europe and other areas have a LONG history of 'limited' releases and almost a cult following for them-it has never been the same in the US. From a few years ago, the fact that we're getting any 'waves' of titles at all is progress-it's all relative. Some studios are simply willing to take more chances..sooner. And some will never choose all of the bells and whistles, just the way it is.

Reactions: IRON MAN and Ricker
I am well aware of how the printing process works. Maybe they don't have the capabilities to print on both sides before forming.

That's just silly, I can do that with my crappy inkjet printer :hilarious:

The studios don't see it that way-the studio has the ultimate power on what will get released, and if they don't feel the market is mature in a certain country, a certain edition will not get released there. Europe and other areas have a LONG history of 'limited' releases and almost a cult following for them-it has never been the same in the US. From a few years ago, the fact that we're getting any 'waves' of titles at all is progress-it's all relative. Some studios are simply willing to take more chances..sooner. And some will never choose all of the bells and whistles, just the way it is.

Let's hope that changes soon.

That's just silly, I can do that with my crappy inkjet printer :hilarious:

Let's hope that changes soon.

I am with you there-every market takes time to develop, and some longer than others. Sites like ours are actively contributing to demand for Steelbooks in the USA-the more support they receive for Steelbooks at all, the more they will be willing to 'potentially' risk as far as 'extas'-but no 2 markets are alike. As a consumer, of course that is a catch 22, as you still can only purchase what you can afford or wish to collect. So, if there is a better version elsewhere, some will choose the 'better' version. But, a lot of the purchases occur in the store, as an impulse, as well, bringing more people to the hobby,many of whom don't know anything about Steelbooks, they just see the titles in the store, and either buy or they don't.

The lack of inside artwork is very disappointing, but some people will also not spring for $10, $20 or more to buy a more expensive edition. While to me, this is just another stepping stone (feels very cool to see any Steels in our stores at all, after years of importing)...I hope there are some more releases like ZDT to showcase the full beauty of some of the previous releases elsewhere. :LOL:

Reactions: ocielz
When I state that things are looking bright, it was due largely in part of future titles that are coming that haven't been announced.

Also Star Trek and GI Joe were both done well ... while not exclusive art globally they had nice gloss.

This looks like just another poor Steelbook release in the US. A totally unnecessary release as there are already multiple releases available that have better artwork than this. There have only been two Steelbooks released in the US so far this year that are worth picking up, Les Miserables and Zero Dark Thirty. Everything else has been average or downright awful. Wreck promises that things are going to look a little brighter for US collectors in the near future, but it's not looking good at the moment. I see the same old inferior Steelbooks and an increasing number of metalpaks, the only things worse than poor Steelbook releases.

This is a cheap wave title that can be had for the same price as an amaray, so all things considered, this is a viable option for people in the USA. I think I read a few posts back someone not having this movie so not a pointless release for everybody. You forgot Evil Dead and GI JOE. The USA may make crappy wave releases but it makes some solid new releases as well. Thanks god for Zavvi, us Americans get the best of both worlds, cheap and expensive catalog steelbook releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: ash333 and Wreck
Probably the best cover art yet (front AND back) but the lack of inside art is just criminal. Surely this cannot be down to budget reasons.

Just look at all the Steelbooks marked down to clear on Zavvi. Full artwork. And you can be sure they're still making a profit on them.

There's just no excuse. It makes me so mad that I never go for U.S. Steelbooks (unless it's something special)

100_7961_zpsb08e33a7.jpg

Went to Best Buy today and they had all of the Oct. 01 wave on hand.

Picked up Nightmare on Elm Street and The Lost Boys.

The other two that haven't been pictured in the I Am Legend thread that I was was Se7en and Cloverfield.