I finally found it! My “holy grail”!

apsmith21

Operations Director
Staff Member
Aug 6, 2010
USA
The fine folks at /r/steelbooks have a good idea that I think could work well here.

Share a picture or pictures of your most recent “grail” discovery.

A “GRAIL” is an edition that might have taken you a while to find, has a good story about how you found it, or is important to you in some way. Grail does NOT indicate value. A $5 find at a thrift store could be a grail to you!

1) where you found it (RETAILER, MARKETPLACE, THRIFT STORE, etc)
2) who produced the edition (if it's a premium or retailer exclusive, please note to help other members! Filmarena, Reel Synergy, BluFans, Zavvi Exclusive, etc)
3) your own picture
4) share your story, if you can!
5) (optional) if you traded for it, what was the trade or how much you might have purchased it for.

INITIAL THREAD GIVEAWAY DETAILS
To kick off this thread and to keep it going, there will be at least one giveaway, maybe more if there’s enough participation!

The more grails you post in single / individual posts, the better chances become!

Prize list:

1 winners of 4k Blu-ray COMPLETE Indiana Jones set
2 winners of 4k Blu-ray Godfather Trilogy set

Last edited:
how about the stuff you have on hold for @tha_lunatic

surely he'll only b1tch about some shrinkwrap tears or microscopic paint chips anyways :naughty:

Should have been here yesterday when FedEx dropped off his package

Stomping Found Footage GIF by Eternal Family

Die Hard: The Ultimate Collection
This is the first boxset I was eagerly awaiting for months, reading news about it on DVDTalk and DVDFile, packed with seemingly a lot of special features, that I actually all watched and listened to, and awesome specially created menus, an art nowadays forgotten, 'cause everyone is now in such a hurry to click faster and 'start watching already', they have no appreciation for the journey.
Oh, and this was summer 2001, 22 years, when some of the collectors on this forum were probably only being born. :cool:

DieHardUltimateR1V1.jpg
DieHardUltimateR1V4.jpg
DieHardUltimateR1V6.jpg

Highlander: The Series
One of the best lineups of releases that I love for having been completed in one form-factor, all in digipacks, while many other shows switched to amarays, even though the last season was a bit more compact, with overlapping disc trays. All other seasons are 8-9 disc long fold-outs, today's audience would binge watch an entire season of 'Product' while one unfolds these to get to a disc. :D

HighlanderSeasons1-6R1V1.jpg
HighlanderSeasons1-6R1V2.jpg

HighlanderSeason1R1V1.jpg
HighlanderSeason3R1V1.jpg
HighlanderSeason4R1V1.jpg

HighlanderSeason3R1V6.jpg
HighlanderSeason3R1V7.jpg

Die Hard: The Ultimate Collection
This is the first boxset I was eagerly awaiting for months, reading news about it on DVDTalk and DVDFile, packed with seemingly a lot of special features, that I actually all watched and listened to, and awesome specially created menus, an art nowadays forgotten, 'cause everyone is now in such a hurry to click faster and 'start watching already', they have no appreciation for the journey.
Oh, and this was summer 2001, 22 years, when some of the collectors on this forum were probably only being born. :cool:

DieHardUltimateR1V1.jpg
DieHardUltimateR1V4.jpg
DieHardUltimateR1V6.jpg
Nope. Loved this one. I remember it fondly.
I had this chunky bad boy as well. We never got the poster in the UK though. I don't recall that, definitely the foil rainbow finish on the box art but not the Vengeance poster.
Sadly, I sold or moved on most of my massive physical DVD collection and in around 2008 when I discovered other, "less expensive" ways to acquire films. It's only in the last two years that I've started collecting again. Hence I unfortunately completely missed the Steelbook boom years. :oohyeah::LOL:

I remember when Revenge of the Sith came out on physical, then the very first "complete" Star Wars Saga set followed. I remember that having beautiful box art.

The OG Fight Club DVD in the early days had a really quality printed cardboard slip and poster design.
Haha, brings back memories.
I also had that Panic Room set you showed. The Abyss one was very similar. The early T2 had a weird steel metal one-sided slip and the OG Akira DVD actually had a very early steelbook tin case design if I remember correctly.
Ah, the days. The days of double sided DVDs, flip it over half way through the film. I think the LA Confidential one was like that or maybe it was The Green Mile disc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lenny Nero
Another one that speaks volumes. So glad to have this in my collection. My first Manta OC. Film means a lot to me in many ways but also first time watching it at age 14/15 was my introduction to Fincher and Pixies. Both became one my favourite directors and favourite bands

Stand out is the DL. One of the best transitions around

C0157873-E149-478B-9265-02BF31BFBBF8.jpeg
D654E552-AC76-4739-8B39-7FF7AD84AB81.jpeg

E8E84EEF-AE27-47CA-B661-C38A9DC739B4.jpeg
E4833C63-20BC-40A3-8E9A-12211DFC246B.jpeg
C2C4873C-25DB-46C5-9505-4398AEE59B5D.jpeg
3C98AC90-9A95-4FBA-A8D8-EF7C3E828074.jpeg
D5AE21DB-61C3-432E-AA4B-3F45563C96F2.jpeg
63F289FD-30CD-4A52-B106-D3F4A40722F7.jpeg
AC8A9F3B-A108-4E6F-B4C4-BAA8B9FCB79F.jpeg
1E703F33-58DA-484F-8A72-1CD94C3C94D9.jpeg

Another one that speaks volumes. So glad to have this in my collection. My first Manta OC. Film means a lot to me in many ways but also first time watching it at age 14/15 was my introduction to Fincher and Pixies. Both became one my favourite directors and favourite bands

Stand out is the DL. One of the best transitions around

View attachment 554079View attachment 554081

One of my biggest collecting regrets is not getting the OC :arghh:

• Wow
Reactions: Flloydo
I don't recall that, definitely the foil rainbow finish on the box art but not the Vengeance poster.
Those are booklets, not posters.

The OG Fight Club DVD in the early days had a really quality printed cardboard slip and poster design.
Oh yeah, very nice digipack:

Fight Club CE R1 V11.jpg

Fight Club CE R1 V3.jpg

Fight Club CE R1 V6.jpg

The Abyss one was very similar. The early T2 had a weird steel metal one-sided slip and the OG Akira DVD actually had a very early steelbook tin case design if I remember correctly.
Yes, have The Abyss and that T2 tin slipcase somewhere.

A perfect combo:thumbs:
fight club GIF
I've had that song on my mix minidisc and burned CD compilations ever since.
Was watching the movie in an Odeon Century Plaza theater precisely underneath those Century City triangular buildings they blew up, so that was fun! :wacky:

Those are booklets, not posters.

Oh yeah, very nice digipack:

View attachment 554100
View attachment 554101
View attachment 554102

Yes, have The Abyss and that T2 tin slipcase somewhere.

I've had that song on my mix minidisc and burned CD compilations ever since.
Was watching the movie in an Odeon Century Plaza theater precisely underneath those Century City triangular buildings they blew up, so that was fun! :wacky:
Haha yep, that's the Fight Club one. Quality top to bottom.

I got to see them about 10 years ago and I nearly cried when they played Where is my mind? And Hey
Saw Pixies Live in Berlin a few weeks ago. Still playing "Where is my mind" and about 50 other tracks, but that song will always hold a special place in my heart. Was close to buying the Fight Club OneClick a few times, but now seems out of reach forever :smashed:

• Friendly
Reactions: milky and Flloydo
Pixies ain't nothing without Kim
jmo

edit. and fight club digipack was the first dvd i ever bought. waiting for the 4k manta one click. Blu ray sux balls

As an example of what I meant by changing packaging of a TV series, another set I treasure, La Femme Nikita:

LaFemmeNikitaS5R1V6.jpg

First three seasons were released in this kind of rare type of packaging with thick plastic trays as 'pages' in a sort of a digibook - don't know what it's called:

LaFemmeNikitaS2R1V8.jpg

LaFemmeNikitaS3R1V8.jpg

LaFemmeNikitaS2R1V5.jpg

LaFemmeNikitaS3R1V5.jpg

But the 4th season was a regular digipack:

LaFemmeNikitaS4R1V5.jpg

And the 5th just slim 'amarays':

LaFemmeNikitaS5R1V1.jpg

So it looks like this, and that was the case with many series, going from digipacks to even 1 regular sized amaray with stacked discs.

LaFemmeNikitaS5R1V5.jpg