Intended Grain, Thoughts?

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Like for example, with the Wolverine movie ... the whole beginning is like soooo grainy that you know its intentional from the directors view as it all becomes pretty damn clear there after. Thoughts? I'm not a huge fan of it regardlessly, I guess I dont mind the Wolvy one so much but DAMN I wish it was left out of 300.

I don't know, sometimes the effect helps to antiquate the movie for the right feeling. I've been fortunate enough to teach my brain to ignore it most of the time whereas I know some people who watch movies watch them to review them later and end up focusing on details such as grain.

It's the same effect of me and music. I can't listen to music like I used to before I started playing professionally. I'll analyze details and have a hard time enjoying it for what it is.

I guess to state a clear opinion I prefer my picture to look as close to what the director intended as possible to soak in the full effect the director was aiming for. Then I can blame everything on the director if I don't like it.

HA! our first grain thread! lol! :D

I love it! I've been studying quite a bit about films lately, with the whole reviewing stuff I've had to go and deeply read on alot of things. I have come to love grain, it adds details to the film and helps with the overall feel. I don't have a problem with it at all, I love watching movies as the director intended for me to watch it :)

I don't know, sometimes the effect helps to antiquate the movie for the right feeling. I've been fortunate enough to teach my brain to ignore it most of the time whereas I know some people who watch movies watch them to review them later and end up focusing on details such as grain.

It's the same effect of me and music. I can't listen to music like I used to before I started playing professionally. I'll analyze details and have a hard time enjoying it for what it is.

I guess to state a clear opinion I prefer my picture to look as close to what the director intended as possible to soak in the full effect the director was aiming for. Then I can blame everything on the director if I don't like it.

I do that to!

I don't really mind grain all that much but I prefer a clean picture, it definitely would have been better left out of 300... why have grain when your using digital cameras? stupid decision in my opinion.

HA! our first grain thread! lol! :D

I love it! I've been studying quite a bit about films lately, with the whole reviewing stuff I've had to go and deeply read on alot of things. I have come to love grain, it adds details to the film and helps with the overall feel. I don't have a problem with it at all, I love watching movies as the director intended for me to watch it :)

+1

I dont remember any intentional grain on DVD .... that or it just so much more apparent with Blu-ray.

I dont remember any intentional grain on DVD .... that or it just so much more apparent with Blu-ray.

That's because the resolution of DVD doesn't allow you to really see much of it. Since you are now viewing films in higher rez you will notice it even more now. DVD did have grain you just can't see it.

Personally, I HATE grain! I don't care what the director intended. I like a really clear picture. For me, it's way too distracting because it's what I see first. then, it annoys me the rest of the movie. I also don't understand how it makes a movie more realistic or whatever. Do these directors have dirt on their glasses or something. When I go outside and look at stuff I don't see grain. I don't see why they add. I hate it! Oh wait, did I say all this out loud? haha.

Seriously though, I don't like it.:hilarious: