Mar 12, 2013
Shepperton
Release date: December 7th, 2015
Purchase link: Zavvi
Price: £21.99

11192348-1344340183174757.jpg

11192348-9804340183187033.jpg 11192348-1594340183205612.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My negativity is the finish. It's washed out like the rest (some not so and some over the top)
We should be past this with Zavvi and marvel. They can release beautiful quality gloss steels as wea in other places. Why not here
And when your used to the level of lenti I am now then these are a huge downgrade.

That's not to say I wouldn't pick this up at £9.99 or something

Yeah play about a year and half ago got a few in stock (quite a few managed to snag one) but it's the only one of the originals I own.

I'm not even a massive fan of the original HMV cap and it goes for far too much so I was hoping the new one would be gloss and stuff.
Much prefer the art to the new one compared to HMV but it's a bad finsh and its nearly 2016. Marvel/Disney and Zavvi are fully aware of what collectors want and much negativity after the first few waves of Disney classics they changed them to gloss. Why wasn't that the case here!

Oh well people can enjoy these that's fine but I bet we see a lot of moaning in a month or two when these drop dramatically

I'm guessing they are like BTTF trilogy box set and and Star Wars rebels limited to 10.000 :whistle:. I mean 1000....

Reactions: Flloydo
My negativity is the finish. It's washed out like the rest (some not so and some over the top)
We should be past this with Zavvi and marvel. They can release beautiful quality gloss steels as wea in other places. Why not here
And when your used to the level of lenti I am now then these are a huge downgrade.

That's not to say I wouldn't pick this up at £9.99 or something

Yeah play about a year and half ago got a few in stock (quite a few managed to snag one) but it's the only one of the originals I own.

I'm not even a massive fan of the original HMV cap and it goes for far too much so I was hoping the new one would be gloss and stuff.
Much prefer the art to the new one compared to HMV but it's a bad finsh and its nearly 2016. Marvel/Disney and Zavvi are fully aware of what collectors want and much negativity after the first few waves of Disney classics they changed them to gloss. Why wasn't that the case here!

Oh well people can enjoy these that's fine but I bet we see a lot of moaning in a month or two when these drop dramatically

Regarding price drops. Most of the Steelbook releases including the Asian ones are selling at loss from the offset. This is.simply due to high cost price.

Avengers Nova was £40 at the release date. It was selling for £50 for few months and now it is struggling to touch £40. So price dropping down the line is inevitable unless you have those really rare and sought after ones which are few in numbers nowadays.

One fine day you will have just 1000 Steels of just 100 films. At this time you will moan and cry even more. So be prepared for big surprises.

Regarding price drops. Most of the Steelbook releases including the Asian ones are selling at loss from the offset. This is.simply due to high cost price.

Avengers Nova was £40 at the release date. It was selling for £50 for few months and now it is struggling to touch £40. So price dropping down the line is inevitable unless you have those really rare and sought after ones which are few in numbers nowadays.

One fine day you will have just 1000 Steels of just 100 films. At this time you will moan and cry even more. So be prepared for big surprises.

True, wish kimchi memento would drop down lol

You lost me with the 1000 steels of 100 films and crying with big surprises. Unless I've read it wrong

Reactions: Mickle_89
I'm not sure what he means by that reference specifically but from what I gather, he implied some collectors will find themselves with 10x Steels for 100 movies they own which= 1000 Steels.

Yeah I got that bit. Oh well. I'll only ever get more than one version with very few films. Drive being one of them

Reactions: Mickle_89
Where are the matte haters?
I don't believe that any of these eight are/will be strictly matte, rather a low-gloss Zero Finish which happens to be the most suitable finish for lenticulsr steelbooks thanks to its high resistance to scratching.
I'm only basing that opinion on the two that I've received - "Guardians" and "Winter Soldier" - so maybe members in receipt of any of the others can confirm the finish one way or the other.

Received my second copy today and the Zavvi Mangler got hold of it first, time for a Game of Zavvi trying to get a replacement for it.

Still, it's only the second time that I have been got in God knows how many SB's that I have bought from them.

I don't think matte finish is always suitable for lenticular card... and I can trade mate with gloss finish any day even it'd leave scratches...
If you only buy gloss steelbooks then I presume you will have no need of any of the 10 lenticular steelbooks from the U.K. . . ,.
However, as you can see from the pics, these do not have a dull matte finish (which I don't mind as long as it's not streaky) but rather a ZERO VARNISH low-gloss finish which complements the lenticular perfectly.

I truly can't see for the life of me what's not to like about these releases apart from the obvious issues with one or two of them . . . so far.

If you only buy gloss steelbooks then I presume you will have no need of any of the 10 lenticular steelbooks from the U.K. . . ,.
However, as you can see from the pics, these do not have a dull matte finish (which I don't mind as long as it's not streaky) but rather a ZERO VARNISH low-gloss finish which complements the lenticular perfectly.

I truly can't see for the life of me what's not to like about these releases apart from the obvious issues with one or two of them . . . so far.

^^ What he said :thumbs:

Where is that, please show me where can you find Avengers (Nova) under £40. All the Avengers from Nova that i find on ebay are above £50. And here we are talking about the lenticular version.

Not sure where in that post he says he ONLY buys gloss!

Some of them do have a dull matte finish, I've not seen zero varnish on any of these (zero finish)! The full matte does not compliment the lenticular! Infact none of the steels compliment the lenticular (not even the winter soldier)
And I truly can't see for the life of me what is to massively like about these. Overpriced for bad finishes, rushed cropped art, zoomed in lentis that don't align with the picture on steel, missing discs, inconsistent designs, black and white inside art (cap)

These are £9.99 - £12.99 releases at best.

Personally the major annoyance for me is the fact that a bunch of this run are for films that literally had a steelbook release a year ago, or for films that had a much cheaper steelbook release further back than that. However, instead of releasing a new range at a decent price Zavvi instead decided to jack these up to between £21.99 - £24,99 each which is completely unjustified.

I picked up the original Zavvi release of Winter Soldier for less than £20 and it looks pretty great. Yet the new one is £5 more, looks worse and comes with a lenti that doesn't quite match. I'm struggling to see why that is of benefit to anyone.

The only positive I can take from this range is that they are ideal for people who missed out on a bunch of these releases first time around, as Marvel films do tend to sell out. I picked up this one as I don't have a copy of Iron Man 2 - so this solves my problem (not that it was much of a problem, but hey, I do like complete sets). If I'd managed to snag the original Play copy back in the day, or even last year when Entertainment Store cleared them out for £14.99 then there would be no way I'd buy this. I appreciate some people buy EVERY variant of every Marvel release and I've no doubt that's what Zavvi were hoping for but I'll stick with my old school copies.

The key for me is the fact they haven't added any value to justify the hiked up price on a bunch of now catalogue titles - as bland art and a decent but not great lenti don't add up to costing the same, if not more, than brand new releases especially on films that have a plethora of other options already.

Mine's arrived today. Now, I'm happy I got one as I didn't previously own an IM2 steel..... But I'm not overly chuffed on the quality of the image - seems a little grainy, not the best clarity if I'm honest.

Last edited:
  • Informative
As noted previously I've only received 2 of the 8 to date - happy with the first - "Winter Soldier" - and not so much with the second - "Guardians" - but that's only because of lenti issues,.
The remaining 6, particularly the three "Iron Man" steels, I'm waiting for patiently.
Putting these new ones against previous releases of the same titles in my collection I'd go for some of these new ones over previous releases if I had to choose:-
1) IRON MAN - Play.com edition of this admittedly one of my favourites even though this one looks OK (based on the pics) = PLAY
2) IRON MAN 2 - Not so keen on the Play.com due to cropped hand on front image and most looking forward to this one from the new wave (based on pics) = ZAVVI LENTI
3) IRON MAN 3 - Do like the previous design from Zavvi though new one looks equally fine though very different (again based on pics) = TIE
4) THOR - New one should be fine and a superior product content-wise but I'm biased because I've always had a soft spot for the HMV (matte though it is . . . lol) and never was a fan of the previous Zavvi = HMV
5) THOR: DARK WORLD - Again not enamoured of the previous Zavvi but unsure how the new one will turn out regarding lining up of 'busy' artwork = ?
6) GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY - Don't mind the previous Zavvi 'Walkman' and this new one without the lenti is just fine = TIE
7) CAPTAIN AMERICA - Again, always had a soft spot for the HMV and not keen on the previous Zavvi but this new one would be a winner if just taking content over design = HMV
8) CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER - Not keen on the previous Zavvi and the simple elegance of this new one reminds me of the HMV "Thor" = ZAVVI LENTI
Why are these releases a good thing for some of us ?
- Gives new collectors a chance to pick up hard to find titles at 'reasonable' prices and ALL WITH TITLES ON THE SPINES which has got to be a definite plus :thumbs:
- Gives old hands like myself the chance of a nice little matching 'set' of lenticular steelbooks :thumbs:
- Lenticular steelbooks are a definite rarity in the U.K. so it's nice to add a few of these to the collection with hopefully more to come with the lentis improving over time - as they have done in the majority of these examples over the previous sorry effort that was "Avengers Assemble".
- The lenti as decoration is beautifully flexible and easily removed for anyone finding them unpleasant leaving the steelbook to be enjoyed au naturel if desired and what's more the steelbooks are perfectly fine underneath with smart embossed titles as well as a quality "Zero Varnish" finish.
- Best content available, as in 3D, is included although it's most unfortunate and difficult to understand the decision not to include the double disc hub for a second disc of extras on "IM' and "IM 2", included in the earlier Double and Triple Play Amarays, just because there is no 3D for these two, as all the others have 2 disc hubs if I remember correctly.