Is your steelbook rusting?

n3wk1d

Premium Supporter
Sep 26, 2010
Singapore
Not sure if this should be the correct place to post this but I think some awareness is needed since more and more new comers are entering this steelbook arena. :D

My buddy in Singapore sent me a photo of his rusty steelbook and I was shocked to see how badly it is.

The title is famous "gladiator" from uk first release. I'll post up the picture soon.

If any of you guys have experience or having any steelbook in your collection is rusty, please share them here. We need a solution to treat them so they won't spread.

picture.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably why you shouldn't have your home cinema in the bathroom :hilarious:

In all seriousness though, that looks terrible. I hope none of mine turn out like that :(

Yeah, I quickly check out my copy as well and it' still in minty condition.
I really have no idea why his became like this, but this gotto make me be more carefull in handling my steelbooks.

It looks like it washed up in one of those famous typhoons they have over in Singapore.

My guess would be something to do with the humid climate they have over there perhaps?

I think it might have have something to do with keeping them in protective sleeves. Moisture can collect in plastic. All it takes is a little at a time.

Weather here may seems to affect but I don't think is that bad.
I suspect there are some paint chip off of scratch along that top part when storing the steelbook.
Pulling out from the shelves and putting them back may caused friction between steelbook and may scratch it that we may not see clearly. Overtime with high humidity here, it may get rust easily.
That's why all my steelbook are either protect them with an extra plastic cover or those plastic hard sleeves.

Is there some kind of treatment can be done ? so it won't spread ?

thankfully no rust here - none of my 180 dvd or 100+ bluray steels have the problem but i keep sealed or get them polybagged sharpish.

plus living in the uk we dont have to worry about the humidity :)

My copy of bugs life steelbooks quite rusty i got it chucked in free when i bought snow white and ratatouille steelbooks coz of the rust il put pics on tonight

Is it rust, or is it just ink-paint flaking off badly? If so, it could be bad metal that was used/ie went to print .... thus the ink/paint only stayed on so long....

Is it rust, or is it just ink-paint flaking off badly? If so, it could be bad metal that was used/ie went to print .... thus the ink/paint only stayed on so long....

That's what I thought Wreck, a lot of these pictures show the paint flaking off. The one Steel I had this issue with had a lot of paint chips that were coming off but I still couldn't say it was rust. Like you said it may just be these are rare occasions when the metal or paint isn't up to scratch and causes this to happen.

There is quality control that goes into affect, so when there is bad metal that rough spots etc it should be tossed aside ... perhaps ever so often a piece goes through and thus since the surface isn't 100% quality printing over it wont help ... and thus the metal having issues then forces the ink/paint off. Thats my best guess.

Reactions: Sigill
There is quality control that goes into affect, so when there is bad metal that rough spots etc it should be tossed aside ... perhaps ever so often a piece goes through and thus since the surface isn't 100% quality printing over it wont help ... and thus the metal having issues then forces the ink/paint off. Thats my best guess.

Yeah I think you could be right Wreck, this hardly ever happens and most people never have any issues. I guess its inevitable that every now and then something that isn't 100% perfect might just get through.

Could this be caused by glue from the j-card? Glue thats been there for a long time perhaps, ate into the paint/metal.

i remember some people who baught old stock of Sherlock Holmes from inetvideo awhile back were complaing of rust as well.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump this thread but I just wanted to find out if anybody had found any solution to rust. Just found a few spots of rust on my Mass Effect 3 France steelbook.

All of which are at the edge where the two sections of the steelbook meet the spine. It's been poly bagged since day one. I did buy it second hand so I don't know what it has been through with the previous owner, but it's heartbreaking to see this happen after the effort I've been taking in protecting them. :(

well, i have to admit a little OCD secret of mine:emb:

when i first started collecting ( not the long ago ) i didn't realize how easily they got scratched and scuffed out of the bag. my matrix trilogy got a few scuffs as a result. so then, i started to treat my open steels with car polish/wax which adds a protective seal. i am happy with the end result which is basically like a car before and after car polish. it is less prone to scratches and in your case, it would also add some protection against weather. the bonus for me is that it really adds a nice shine to glossy steels and a light sheen to matte finish steels.

i did that to my first few batches of steels, but have fallen behind due to laziness and finding other things to do with my time, but i still plan on treating some of my favorite glossy steels like nemo and brave.

hope this helps.

Reactions: entreri
Well looks like I've got my work cut out for me then. :hilarious:
At this point I'm just about willing to try anything that works. I haven't had any rust problems on my own first hand steels yet and I'm hoping it stays that way.

Reactions: steelbook95060