UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 14 Votes
Title: Joker - In theaters October 4, 2019

Tagline: Put on a happy face.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix

Release: 2019-10-04

Plot: A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.

Watched this evening and have to agree with @kaw on this movie, with opinions will be very divisive.
Well made and certainly very well acted by Joaquin Phoenix.
Perhaps additional viewings may change my opinion but for me this movie didn't like up to the hype - also 6/10 from me

That's how I felt as well (so did the 2 guys I went with), but not sure I could sit through it again.

I'm obviously in the minority, which was the same with Dunkirk, as didn't enjoy that either!!

Reactions: kaw and Uraki
IMG_20191012_130540.jpg

Cool little detail I missed.

One thing (majority of) people don’t realise about Phoenix because he’s so intense at times is he has an amazing sense of humour. He’s awkward in interviews because he hates them however there’s a few interviewers he’s friends with or likes them, like kimmel, fallon and Ellen and he still gets into the interview regardless of how much he dislikes them. Part of his humour is the whole is it real or fake? True or a lie? Stupid or proper answer? Etc etc. Plus if you seen I’m still here and know about the whole history of it and how long he stayed in character for and had to live this lie that he’s basically gone crazy, quit acting and becoming a cocaine snorting, hooker loving bad rapper then you would be aware he carries a lot of this mystique in interviews and whilst he finds them awkward his humour is to f**ck with you. He knew about the video Todd Phillips sent kimmel 100%. It was most likely his idea. It's classic Joaquin antics

he even apologised to the guy he’s snapping at and then mid apology stops and say “actually .........”

In most his interviews for this film, he’s messed around, been the interviewer, played a game on his what’s real and fake with him, shouted “my hero” at De Niro etc etc.

also if you watched any Todd Philips interviews you will see how much he loves Phoenix, wanted only him to play the role, had new directing techniques where the idea was for Joaquin to feel the room/ surrounding/ set and work out his own movements and placements in what to seems a true joint effort and partnership on making this film. The backgorund of this film is extremely interesting. Both stated they have never worked this way and loved it. To me it shows and I’m all for it. I think Philips even said “if your a director and you tell Joaquin where to stand and what to do then your a shiiiit director” :LOL:

He knew about the video.

(there’s also been a lot of separate interviews where one of them has told the interviewer somthing random about the other regarding the film and it’s been this whole “he’s fucccking with you moment” )

Last edited:
Reactions: tridon and kaw
Joker is a film that, admittedly, I had a hard time getting excited for. I always found that the most terrifying aspect of the character was that you never knew what motivated him. This is why I’ve always loved Mark Hamill and Heath Ledger’s versions of the character; he was horrifying because you never had a clue of where he came from. The idea that this film would showcase his rise and transformation into the Joker — one caused by society’s treatment towards a mentally ill individual — was a story that I never felt the need to see (didn’t help that the director/co-writer, Todd Phillips, admitted that he took nothing from the source material besides names and locations). I did eventually warm up to the idea of the film, though — especially after its fantastic final trailer — so, here’s my honest, completely unbiased opinion: Joker is a beautiful-looking film featuring Joaquin Phoenix at his absolute best. Unfortunately, many issues occur due to a strange choice in the film’s time period as well as the need to push unneeded plot devices that connect Arthur Fleck to the Wayne family. I’m going to dive into the film more in a future Geek Pants Camcast, but I’ll leave it at this for now: in my opinion, is Joker the best film of the year? No. But yes, it does have the best performance of the year, hands down. Phoenix is a juggernaut in this and that makes the film worth watching alone. Just don’t expect to feel good or clean after watching it.

Rating (out of 5):
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234
1n-png.127234

It's not very often I get the chance to go to the cinema due high ticket prices and not having easy access to transport, but this has been one of my most anticipated films since it was first announced, so I'll be damned if I miss it! Thankfully I've managed to convince my dad to drive us to a much better and cheaper cinema next week to go check it out, and I'm super excited. :D

Anyone been to an Odeon Luxe before? It looks amazing and shows just how overpriced my local standard Odeon is... price per ticket for Joker at my local is currently £12.75, whereas it's only £8.75 at Odeon Luxe, which makes absolutely no sense!? Sure, it's a bit of a drive to get to the Luxe, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm looking forward to finally having enough leg room at a cinema too lol.

image.jpg

Anyone been to an Odeon Luxe before? It looks amazing and shows just how overpriced my local standard Odeon is... price per ticket for Joker at my local is currently £12.75, whereas it's only £8.75 at Odeon Luxe, which makes absolutely no sense!? Sure, it's a bit of a drive to get to the Luxe, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm looking forward to finally having enough leg room at a cinema too lol.

Last time I tried out a Odeon Luxe it was at Leicester Sq to watch Apocalypse Now - £30 per ticket ! So your £8.75 is actually a pretty good price for an Odeon Luxe.
Odeon Luxe is quite nice with very comfortable reclining seats & like you pointed out - plenty of leg space :thumbs:, while screens tend to be crisp & clear
Personally, I'm not too bothered by such luxury seatings and rather go to a cinema that focus on bringing top picture quality (ie. IMAX)

Reactions: Noodles
Last time I tried out a Odeon Luxe it was at Leicester Sq to watch Apocalypse Now - £30 per ticket ! So your £8.75 is actually a pretty good price for an Odeon Luxe.
Odeon Luxe is quite nice with very comfortable reclining seats & like you pointed out - plenty of leg space :thumbs:, while screens tend to be crisp & clear
Personally, I'm not too bothered by such luxury seatings and rather go to a cinema that focus on bringing top picture quality (ie. IMAX)
Whoa! I definitely wouldn't be going if ticket prices were that much... not even for my favourite film, Drive. :dizzy:

I'd usually agree with you, but ever since I hit 30 I'm more about comfort lol. I'm not even sure where my closest IMAX cinema is to be honest, but I'd like to try it someday.

In fact, I think they're meant to be installing an IMAX screen at my local cinema... hate to think what the price will be though, since it's already the most expensive outside of London. :greedy:

Reactions: Uraki
C70D6E95-FF59-45AF-90C7-F5620CE75A9D.jpeg

Well deserved considering it’s only just entering its 4th weekend at the box office, all achieved on a 55 million budget. Next step 1 billion and then the oscars :cigar: One of the best CBM of the decade and can’t wait to see it again at the theatres. To think this movie was spose to inspire violence instead it has held up a mirror to our society that some don’t like seeing the reflection of with clowns stay winning :D

FEAA92D2-00D7-42C3-B198-0B68424050DB.jpeg

84E7994E-4F29-463D-99B8-2E467185C924.jpeg

Last edited:
Today was supposed to be the day that I finally caught this in theaters, but I woke up feeling like absolute crap, so I'm heading back to bed to feel sorry for myself...

Hope you get better soon @Noodles, always another day to see the Joker..when you can enjoy it.
Thanks a lot buddy. Yeah, true! I did actually try to convince myself to go, but knew I wouldn't enjoy it as much if I'd gone in this condition lol.

I'm hoping the bug I have passes soon anyway, because I'm not sure how much longer Joker will be in cinemas over here. Anybody know?

Reactions: vexred
My Odeon is a smaller one and they are still showing it next week. If you're feeling up to it I'd go next week.
Thanks for the info! Decided to check with the cinema itself, just to be sure... thankfully they're still showing it for another few weeks at least, so that gives me plenty of time to recover lol.

Reactions: vexred