UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 14 Votes
Title: Joker - In theaters October 4, 2019

Tagline: Put on a happy face.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix

Release: 2019-10-04

Plot: A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.

Watched this evening and have to agree with @kaw on this movie, with opinions will be very divisive.
Well made and certainly very well acted by Joaquin Phoenix.
Perhaps additional viewings may change my opinion but for me this movie didn't like up to the hype - also 6/10 from me

For sure. Joaquin might win the Oscar and I would be totally fine with that but also not like the film that much.

I couldn't figure out if that was for real or not. How could they (the director especially) think that'd be ok to share with everyone?! Pheonix is obviously quite a private person and gets really stuck into his roles, so I'm sure they knew his reaction would be awkward.

Riiight!? It was such a "gotcha moment" that it made me think Todd Phillips doesn't like Joaquin and this was his revenge on him or something. Why would you send this? If it was funny that's one thing, but this is like sending over that Christian Bale "GOOOOD FOR YOUUUU" tape and thinking it would be a good idea. I don't get it.

Its really crazy the history of Bad / Awkward late night interviews that he has done over the years. (this film included)

Reactions: Noodles and Uraki

Phoenix seems like a strange dude who seems to like to be seen to have these odd encounters. I kind of dig it.

Cool if true...
But I'm a little skeptical still.
This seems like this could easily be a spin they are putting on it to help any negativity towards the whole thing.

Wow its such a slow burn, highlighting issues of mental health and how logically a 'Joker' can be born where society fails people in many, many ways. I was really impressed with the cinematography as most of it does indeed have that 80's aesthetic and social commentary which I was right at home with. Loved the old Warners Communications branding for aging effect at the beginning, knew right then I was watching something that just captivating. I must say though the final act and especially last 20 minutes had me hooked, it just resonated a better Nolan vibe and turns up a notch in it's brutality and ultimate conclusion...I really want to see more of this world, but wishing for a sequel would only dampen such a well made movie that certainly tells a down to earth grounded batman arch-enemy origin story. I'm glad this got made and I'm glad I got to see this on opening night. Go see it :thumbs:

Phoenix seems like a strange dude who seems to like to be seen to have these odd encounters. I kind of dig it.

Just catching up on this now while I agree this interview is awkward AF especially the outtake (which has been confirmed fake) it is IMO just essentially a meta-reference to a couple key points of the movie as late night tv and/or media plays a major role in Joker and the effect it has on society.

Last edited:
It has to be said how haunting but yet beautiful which sends chills down your spine is the bathroom scene where Phoenix's Joker eerily dances to Hildur Guðnadóttir's amazing score :notworthy::cigar:

1570232799250.gif

Cool if true...
But I'm a little skeptical still.
This seems like this could easily be a spin they are putting on it to help any negativity towards the whole thing.
Makes sense. Does no one remember when Phoenix "retired" from acting to become a rapper? And Casey Affleck made a documentary about it called 'I'M STILL HERE'?
Later it was revealed to be an elaborate joke/hoax.
Same M.O.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: kaw and willbar84
Makes sense. Does no one remember when Phoenix "retired" from acting to become a rapper? And Casey Affleck made a documentary about it called 'I'M STILL HERE'?
Later it was revealed to be an elaborate joke/hoax.
Same M.O.

:rofl: I do. Just shows he’s one hell of an actor with range and also quite the master of deception as that dragged on for some time from memory?

Reactions: C.C. 95
I never liked the idea of this film even way back when the concept was first pitched, neither of the trailers did anything to draw me in either but given the divisiveness it's recieved since release I decided to check it out anyway and now it's pretty much a case of it being a film I never knew I wanted until now

Really epic stuff and while I do think it's insulting to Heath Ledger that people are saying 'move over there's a new best Joker in town blah blah blah' I have to admit that Phoenix is captivating throughout this film.

8/10 for me

$93.5 million opening in USA. $140.5 million in the rest of the world. Huge win for WB and DC. Seeing it in a couple of hours time.

2B28BACA-EF2B-4D05-9142-39D2B0E421B7.jpeg

Huge props to WB & DC considering this only cost $55 million to make and then to go onto beating the ex October Record Holder of $80 million which was set by Venom. Loving the range ‘n’ diversity of these director driven movies that DC are pumping out these days from Shazam! to Joker then BoP to WW84 and then in 2021 we have Reeves The Batman and Gunn’s The Suicide Squad to look forward to. IMO I feel DC have realised theres no point trying to be the MCU 2.0 but actually just doing the complete opposite working with smaller budgets, taking more risks, being more confident with their directors to give them range so they can give us a CBM that feels new and fresh but still fits in to the story they want to tell about their DC characters and also fitting in with the overall DC universe. This way it does not feel like at its core that it’s working out of a sandbox that can lead to being formulaic, derivative and bland.

Last edited:
Also happened in my cinema. I can't tell if it was intentional as to lighten the impact of such a dark scene or what. Another thing, I had one guy laughing every time Joker did one of his random uncontrollable laughs, that was pretty annoying.

My opinion on the movie, taken from the Rate the latest movie you watched thread;

Joker (2019) - I don't say this often about a movie, but I think it was pretty much perfect in terms of what it was trying to accomplish. Phoenix was unbelievable, nice balance between manic and vulnerable. The atmosphere and pacing were spot -on.
I'll probably go and re-watch it next week. Now, if they can somehow put him in the next Batman movie without ruining the believability of the character then that would be epic.

5 NINJAS!!!

Only thing I didn't like...
The love interest that was then "a twist" to reveal he'd just imagined being with her. I just didn't think it was believable that she'd go out with him in the first place through the first few scenes so was obvious to me it was all in his mind. Maybe they could have done that a bit better

Also happened in my cinema. I can't tell if it was intentional as to lighten the impact of such a dark scene or what. Another thing, I had one guy laughing every time Joker did one of his random uncontrollable laughs, that was pretty annoying.

My opinion on the movie, taken from the Rate the latest movie you watched thread;

Joker (2019) - I don't say this often about a movie, but I think it was pretty much perfect in terms of what it was trying to accomplish. Phoenix was unbelievable, nice balance between manic and vulnerable. The atmosphere and pacing were spot -on.
I'll probably go and re-watch it next week. Now, if they can somehow put him in the next Batman movie without ruining the believability of the character then that would be epic.

5 NINJAS!!!

Only thing I didn't like...
The love interest that was then "a twist" to reveal he'd just imagined being with her. I just didn't think it was believable that she'd go out with him in the first place through the first few scenes so was obvious to me it was all in his mind. Maybe they could have done that a bit better

Great review:thanks::thumbs: found there was so much to digest on first viewing that subsequent viewings are essential especially with the deep social commentary in some spots and the batman/Gotham lore it projected throughout the movie plus understanding the
open ender
on a few different levels. I agree it’s near perfect on what it set out to achieve and love how DC keeps changing the game keeping it fresh. Seriously though when is Gotham going to learn not to

Invite this guy onto a late night talk show

1570445362646.jpeg

:wacky:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: vexred and davhyl