UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 14 Votes
Title: Joker - In theaters October 4, 2019

Tagline: Put on a happy face.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix

Release: 2019-10-04

Plot: A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.

"First of all it’s terrific. So it should play on our largest stage. But it’s a really original take on comic book movies and on the Joker character in particular. It’s not based on an existing story, it has one of the greatest actors in modern cinema, Joaquin Phoenix, in the lead, and Robert De Niro is in it as well, one of the best actors that has ever lived. It has references to Martin Scorsese’s film-making and it feels like a cinematic achievement on a high level…That’s why it’s a Gala." Toronto Film Festival Director - Cameron Bailey

Reactions: willbar84
"First of all it’s terrific. So it should play on our largest stage. But it’s a really original take on comic book movies and on the Joker character in particular. It’s not based on an existing story, it has one of the greatest actors in modern cinema, Joaquin Phoenix, in the lead, and Robert De Niro is in it as well, one of the best actors that has ever lived. It has references to Martin Scorsese’s film-making and it feels like a cinematic achievement on a high level…That’s why it’s a Gala." Toronto Film Festival Director - Cameron Bailey

Well, he's being hyperbolic because he has a vested interest in it playing well at his festival.
That's like the studio/producer of the film proclaiming it is a masterpiece. Of course they are.

Well, he's being hyperbolic because he has a vested interest in it playing well at his festival.
That's like the studio/producer of the film proclaiming it is a masterpiece. Of course they are.

... and yet again it happens movie after movie. And this forum posts them. So ... I'd rather see getting good reviews alt.movieis from insiders than another Star Wars (c) star telling how great new part is ... meh !

I kind of get what you're saying but that's the artistic directors from Venice and TIFF saying it's impressive. It'd be pretty embarrassing or bad for their reputation if they say it's good and it's a turd.

I kind of get what you're saying but that's the artistic directors from Venice and TIFF saying it's impressive. It'd be pretty embarrassing or bad for their reputation if they say it's good and it's a turd.
They get pull quotes and exposure in the media for their festival.
It definitely benefits them. Expect a poster that says " A cinematic achievement on a high-level" - Toronto Film Festival

51nTEcFvUSL.jpg

I was hyped for this. Phoenix is my boy. I thinks he’s literary up there as one of the greatest. The first trailer dropped and it was just loads of scenes of him falling over and my interests quickly disintegrated

But now I’m feeling it again. I hope it’s good but I’m going in with low expectations

I have a soft spot for Phillips too and im glad he is doing something a little different to his norm

Reactions: vexred