UK
4.14 star(s) Rating: 4.14/5 14 Votes
Title: Joker - In theaters October 4, 2019

Tagline: Put on a happy face.

Genre: Crime, Drama, Thriller

Director: Todd Phillips

Cast: Joaquin Phoenix

Release: 2019-10-04

Plot: A failed stand-up comedian is driven insane and becomes a psychopathic murderer.

DC (Dark Cinema) keeps on winning next step 1 Billion! and to think back in 2016 all the backlash because DC Movies were to “dark and gritty”

1572758794695.gif

Finally felt well enough to go see this today... thought it was excellent, as did my dad, who I honestly thought wouldn't rate it because he's in his mid-60s and doesn't usually like those sort of character types (he hates films like Scarface and The Godfather). I definitely need to give it another watch before deciding just how great it really is though. I could say a lot more about it, but it's already been said by folks with a much better vocabulary than myself.

As for Odeon Luxe... it wasn't as impressive as I imagined. The recliners killed my neck when sitting in them upright... it's as if they're designed specifically for only lying down on, which isn't necessarily something I want to do in a cinema - felt weird laying back with people on the row behind constantly in the corner of my eye lol. Not only that, but unless the seats in front were also reclined, then you just end up staring at the back of a headrest. The only pro was having plenty of leg room for once.

@Noodles glad you enjoyed it. Shame that the cinema didn't live up to your expectations.
Cheers mate. Thinking about putting in a claim to be honest... my neck is still hurting and it's now given me a headache. :(

And for anyone thinking I'm serious... I'm joking about the claim, but I'm sure someone out there probably would take it that far lol.

• Haha
Reactions: vexred
It's not very often I get the chance to go to the cinema due high ticket prices and not having easy access to transport, but this has been one of my most anticipated films since it was first announced, so I'll be damned if I miss it! Thankfully I've managed to convince my dad to drive us to a much better and cheaper cinema next week to go check it out, and I'm super excited. :D

Anyone been to an Odeon Luxe before? It looks amazing and shows just how overpriced my local standard Odeon is... price per ticket for Joker at my local is currently £12.75, whereas it's only £8.75 at Odeon Luxe, which makes absolutely no sense!? Sure, it's a bit of a drive to get to the Luxe, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm looking forward to finally having enough leg room at a cinema too lol.

View attachment 452132

Finally felt well enough to go see this today... thought it was excellent, as did my dad, who I honestly thought wouldn't rate it because he's in his mid-60s and doesn't usually like those sort of character types (he hates films like Scarface and The Godfather). I definitely need to give it another watch before deciding just how great it really is though. I could say a lot more about it, but it's already been said by folks with a much better vocabulary than myself.

As for Odeon Luxe... it wasn't as impressive as I imagined. The recliners killed my neck when sitting in them upright... it's as if they're designed specifically for only lying down on, which isn't necessarily something I want to do in a cinema - felt weird laying back with people on the row behind constantly in the corner of my eye lol. Not only that, but unless the seats in front were also reclined, then you just end up staring at the back of a headrest. The only pro was having plenty of leg room for once.

@Noodles great to hear your feeling better and got a chance to see this before the end of its theatrical run :thumbs: brilliant film, I knew it would be right up your alley and you got to enjoy it with you old man how awesome is that. Your Odeon Luxe Cinemas look similar to our Gold Class Cinemas here in Aus that I love to go to regularly (below). So I’m sorry to hear it didn’t live up to your expectations maybe ours is setup a lil different to yours going by photos as it seems we have more limited seating, spread out further and have higher platforms then the Odeon. In saying that I totally get when reclined how having the back row in the corner of your eye would bug you and the headrest in front of you is blocking more of your field of view if their not reclined, fortunately I have not experienced that with ours.

1573271870554.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Noodles
@Noodles great to hear your feeling better and got a chance to see this before the end of its theatrical run :thumbs: brilliant film, I knew it would be right up your alley and you got to enjoy it with you old man how awesome is that. Your Odeon Luxe Cinemas look similar to our Gold Class Cinemas here in Aus that I love to go to regularly (below). So I’m sorry to hear it didn’t live up to your expectations maybe ours is setup a lil different to yours going by photos as it seems we have more limited seating, spread out further and have higher platforms then the Odeon. In saying that I totally get when reclined how having the back row in the corner of your eye would bug you and the headrest in front of you is blocking more of your field of view if their not reclined, fortunately I have not experienced that with ours.

View attachment 454415
Thanks matey. It's definitely an experience I won't forget any time soon! Thankfully the film was so good that the neck ache was worth it lol. Plus I always find something to complain about anyway to be fair... maybe it's because I'm British. :p

Both myself and my dad agreed that if we go again, then we'll try to get on the back row - we were on the third row from the back for Joker, and yet it still felt like we were a little too close to the screen for our liking... I guess it's not an issue if you don't mind actually reclining your seats though. Which brings me on to something else I forgot to mention before... we didn't spot a single person in our screening that had their seat reclined, so maybe they felt the same way? Or it's possible they just didn't know how to recline them... took me and my dad a good few mins to figure it out lol.

Each row of seats at your cinema definitely appear to be on a higher platform, and the screen itself looks to be higher up too. I know all the screen layouts at Odeon Luxe differ though... the screen we were in was actually one of the larger rooms, so it'll be interesting to check out the smaller screens and see if that helps with any of our previous issues.

Reactions: vexred
What times we live in. In retrospect, a movie that no-one really knew they wanted, tarnished with rumors and leaked scripts, and why was there any consideration of making a movie outside of the DCEU, doesn't that just confuse an audience and such a project will fail?

To the here and now. On release, to an audience that had and did see this, with 6 weeks later, $1b and first R-rated movie to do so. An amazing feat indeed for artistic direction, subject matter and all wrapped up in a comic book roots, and finally what a score IMO.

For the last 6 weeks, when doing most things at home, I've realized I've been listening to the WaterTower OST of Joker at the weekends, mostly from Hildur Gudnadottir and the band supporting Murray Franklin. What a score. Just takes me back to the theater watching the film and then the realization of of the score and what it added to the tone and storytelling ability. If you've not listening to the OST, I recommend that you do :thumbs:

@GeoRattray you might find this interesting. An interview with the composer and DP

Also read somewhere that this was the first film to make 1 billion with a production budget under 100 million.

@vexred Great interview, really down to earth people that are obviously phenomenal at what they do. Thanks for sharing..

Yeah, I know. first film on a budget under $100m, think it's about $62.5m with a 15.3 multiplier or more, well ignoring marketing etc. Just bonkers what a movie can do....we need more DC black label films methinks.

This was inevitable and had been rumoured for a while, so glad to see it's finally confirmed!

Excited to see what the other origin story is that he has planned though... would love one for Penguin, or maybe even a female one like Poison Ivy/Catwoman (or a lesser known character, of course).

Reactions: willbar84
I haven't seen Joker yet. But I think I have a good hunch what it's like. So a sequel frightens me a bit. Why ruin good thing, can they make better, of is it doomed to fail. Pls, not just for the money - but because there is story to tell !

Reactions: willbar84