Not open for further replies.

IRON MAN

E.D.I.T.H.
Super Moderator
Premium Supporter
Dec 28, 2012
Everywhere
Hey all,

Every year, as older members are aware and new members will find out, we run SteelBook of The Year polls and awards etc... and this year will be no different.

However, this year, we're considering re-exploring the different categories that we've come to award and we think it's time for a little change.

There will be no poll for this thread as we'd like to hear/read your thoughts and reasoning below (in depth sort to speak) rather than a simple "click" on a poll, so please chime in and share your opinion.

Feel free to discuss it amongst each other and remember to keep it civil even when/if you disagree. ;)

As a reminder and an FYI for those unaware, you can find in this thread LINK which categories we went with last year.

hdn_ninja slash.png

Last edited:
I would give an early suggestion for (Basil) The Great Mouse Detective, in terms of regular releases.

Title controversy apart (though the wonderful debossing on the type would not work with Basil included), This was one of the most highly requested missing Disney Classics. The treatment is wonderful and the artwork spot on.

Reactions: IRON MAN
I would give an early suggestion for (Basil) The Great Mouse Detective, in terms of regular releases.

Title controversy apart (though the wonderful debossing on the type would not work with Basil included), This was one of the most highly requested missing Disney Classics. The treatment is wonderful and the artwork spot on.

Thanks for posting.

The question though is about whether members would like to see the same categories or new ones or remove any etc...

Reactions: Darth toffeeman
Thanks for posting.

The question though is about whether members would like to see the same categories or new ones or remove any etc...

Oops :)

I remember joining in last year.

There are so many avenues now with multiple premium companies, one clicks and country / store exclusives, that it is hard to narrow down.

I am just made up Disney classics are back :)

I think the number of categories is fine. Maybe add the discs (4k, 3d, bonus, etc.) to the best overall description.

Thanks for posting.

Ah ok, i understand:

So my vote for best full slip is pans labyrinth, best lenticular is...

;) imo best steelbook, best lenticular, best full slip and best overall release would suffice

• Thanks
Reactions: tommyh84
awards that might be worth having is ....

Best Overall Content (Focusing on discs/digital) - Example would be a release that may have 4k,3D, BD, or a label who goes out of their way and curates an entire extra BD of special features etc. Focused more so on the content of the release, not the packaging per se

and perhaps an honorable mention award for.... Best Fluff, aka...
Best Overall Extras (all the swag that comes with a release, meaning the steelbook and/or slipbox do not count ; its all the extra stuff. art cards, coins, booklets, etc. )

awards that might be worth having is ....

Best Overall Content (Focusing on discs/digital) - Example would be a release that may have 4k,3D, BD, or a label who goes out of their way and curates an entire extra BD of special features etc. Focused more so on the content of the release, not the packaging per se

and perhaps an honorable mention award for.... Best Fluff, aka...
Best Overall Extras (all the swag that comes with a release, meaning the steelbook and/or slipbox do not count ; its all the extra stuff. art cards, coins, booklets, etc. )
What Wreck said :thumbs:

Those past categories look good to me, I wouldn't change them much if at all. Maybe add a category for WWA of the year?

Not sure if there are enough about but best running series steelbooks collection ( for example zavvi marvels agent of shield that sort of thing )

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
I think with the sheer amount of steelbooks out there now from various different retailers worldwide, I believe you should expand with the categories and open it up more along these lines;

Best overall package (The Grand Daddy)
Best boxset award
Best full slip award
Best lenticular slip award
Best WEA design (steelbook only) award
Best WWA design (steelbook only) award
Best overall retailer award
Most underrated steelbook award
Best steelbook series award (TV or Film)
Best embossing/debossing finish award

I'd like to see a separation of categories for mainstream commercially available steelbooks (e.g. Best Buy, Target, Zavvi, Amazon, etc.) and limited collectors edition by Blufans, FAC, etc. because the majority of people have access to the local retail ones and that personally makes it more interesting to me. I'd also like to see a category for best Video Game Steelbook (I'd make it cross platform.)

• Thanks
Reactions: DMD4k
i second @Dazzler_31117's recommendation for One Click or Box Set awards. :thumbs:

also, i've never really understood the award for Overall Art - does this just this just mean 'Best Artwork'? if so, can it not be called that?

i think keeping to GB options plus one or two extras works, but you don't want too many. i was going to say 'only the following' but even this is 7 options:
- Best Steelbook - i can see the interest in a WWA and WEA sub-option
- Best Bossing / Finish
- Best Artwork
and
- Best Full Slip
- Best Lenti and/or Best Double Lenti
- Best Box Set or One Click
- Best Quarter Slip (not one for me, but they do have many fans)

Reactions: St4rlord
Thanks to those who took the time to share their thoughts. Locking thread.

Nominations threads will be up later tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.