Madden Megathread - Includes 9-11 - Madden 11 Bundled with PS3!!

Jan 29, 2009
Madden NFL is an American football video game series developed by Electronic Arts Tiburon for EA Sports. The game is named after Pro Football Hall of Famer John Madden, a well-known color commentator for NBC Sports and formerly a successful Super Bowl-winning coach during the 1970s with the Oakland Raiders.

252px-Madden_NFL_09_Coverart.jpg
Madden10_Xbox360.jpg
Madden_11_Drew_Brees_cover.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back Madden faithful, it’s Monday and that means it’s time for another blog! This week we wanted to go into some depth about a new feature you can expect to see in Madden NFL 10: our revamped injury system. Hopefully this new addition is just one (of many) that continues to prove that we are focused on delivering an authentic NFL experience to our fans – and that while we are still ensuring to innovate in every single iteration, that innovation has to come inside of what’s core to NFL simulation football. As we said in our [mission statement] way back in January, we aren’t about gimmicks, we are here to create an authentic representation of the sport. “Everything You See On Sunday, See It In Madden NFL”…injuries are a major part of that.

Along with the obvious concern for the well-being of the athlete, there are also typically very major ramifications to the team when a player gets hurt. How serious is the injury? Can the player continue to play hurt even with the risk of re-injury? How well can his backup fill in if he is out? How will the team adjust to continue without him? Will their opponent exploit the loss of the starter? We wanted to emulate all of this strategy, suspense, and emotion behind injuries in Madden NFL 10.

A Look Back
As a design team, we had many different priorities to juggle this year, and countless features and additions that we wanted to add to the game. Overhauling our injury system however rose to the top of our list quite quickly because it was an area that was 100% core to what you see on Sundays, yet it hadn’t accurately been represented in Madden’s history (especially on 360/PS3).

At the start of next-gen, the injury system was changed to be more of a futuristic approach…a system that could immediately diagnose injuries in real-time including a stylized X-ray of the injury. There was a lot of flash and presentation value to this in the very first concept video, and that was also carried over into the product from Madden NFL 06-09. Below is a shot from the concept video:

06Concept.JPG

And here is a shot from Madden NFL 09:

09Injury.jpg

As we looked to overhaul the system, we all agreed this was the very first thing that we had to change. Though the x-ray concept was cool, the suspense on finding out how badly a player is hurt or not, and if he can return to play, is key to conveying some emotion in our game. So when designing the new system, we chose to notify the gamer via banners, player animations, and commentary. Trainers are brand new to Madden NFL 10, so you can see them run out to take care of a guy if he needs assistance in getting off the field. We also made sure to delay the real result for a couple of plays while the player is evaluated:

[media=youtube]dTZTNcZRrhU[/media]&feature=player_embedded

Doing that was easy enough, but we weren’t quite satisfied. We wanted to really put some real NFL-level pressure on you the gamer by emulating the tough decision a coach has to make after a player is injured. Do you keep him in or replace him with the backup? Now, after an injury has been diagnosed, you are presented with a tough decision on who to keep in the game. To help you make the decision, we put the risk of re-injury on the screen as well as the ‘effective overall rating’ of the injured player based on him playing hurt so you can compare that to the backup that would replace him.

InjuryDecision.jpg

Yep, there is a known bug on this screen with the dual tickers...it's being fixed. :)

For every single injury type and severity in our game (of which there are nearly 100), we dynamically adjust the ratings after the injury occurs. So a shoulder injury can affect things like Throwing Power, Throwing Accuracy, or Stiff Arm ratings, an ankle injury can make it so a player’s juke animations are different and less effective, and a hamstring injury can even affect Speed and Acceleration. Each injury modifies these independently, so more severe injuries obviously negatively impact the ratings at a much larger rate – meaning a bruised shoulder won’t do as much damage to your player’s ratings as a separated shoulder. We also set the re-injury risk independently on each injury – meaning knee injuries have a much higher risk of more severe progression, moreso than something like a finger or rib…typically with those areas once you’re hurt, you’re hurt…it won’t get all that much worse.

Depending on all these factors, you have to make the tough call. Sometimes the decisions are easy – say Tomlinson tweaks an ankle or a knee or something, you can feel pretty confident putting Sproles in without having too much of a drop off. However if Manning takes a bad shot and ends up with an injured throwing shoulder, you might need him to get you the win because the disparity between him and Sorgi is so big. With our new stretched out ratings, this makes this decision that much more important, and also makes managing the depth of your team during Franchise mode a real strategic element that can’t be ignored.

So we have had the ability for players to play hurt in the past, but it was really a low risk proposition – there was just a minor chance of him getting re-injured. And if a re-injury occurred, it was still a pretty random selection to the next more severe injury. You could have a bruised knee and keep playing, and then get a broken rib as the re-injury that puts you out of the game. We wanted to build a more progressive system so players were re-injured in an intelligent manner. Injuries now will be progressive, something like: Bruised Knee -> Sprained Knee -> Partially Torn PCL -> Fully Torn PCL -> Fully Torn PCL and ACL. We also wanted to make sure that something would have to actually ‘trigger’ the re-injury. In the old systems, you could have your running back chip a lineman and look fine and then all of a sudden his ACL was blown out.

We really wanted to make sure that we did implement a true risk-reward system. If you are putting your guy out there on a bum knee, we want you to feel nervous in doing so. So we made sure that real-life actions that could cause an injury, were the true catalysts for a re-injury. For example, if you have kept your running back in the game with a sprained knee, you don’t want to be doing crazy jukes and spins all over the place because he could just plant wrong and get severely injured. You want to take care and use him sparingly - get the best out of him but not risk losing him for the long term. I wanted to show this in full, but it was just taking me a long time to trigger in game (due to the rarity). To show it off I just included the motion capture video of our actors doing their best "I just blew my knee out" impression that we can play if a guy ends up cutting too hard and re-injuring himself (we picked the guy on the right obviously):

[media=youtube]9FqEqR0Hb9s[/media]&feature=player_embedded

Some other details we added:
- Injuries occur more often on special teams plays
- Injury slider was added so anyone can tune to their liking
- Re-injury risk is increased for online and play now (since people won’t have to worry about long term injuries, we still wanted to add a risk to playing with someone that’s hurt)
- Recreated nearly every single injury type, replacing unrealistic legacy injuries like “bursitis” and “dehydration” with new ones.
- There’s finally an injury cart!

Well that’s it for our new injury system. In summary:
1. Injury status / severity is delayed instead of immediate for more suspense and realism
2. All new animations with trainers and injury carts are shown
3. You are automatically prompted to let injured players play hurt (when applicable) or sub in the backup
4. Players playing hurt have their ratings negatively affected (based on the severity of the injury)
5. Players playing hurt have a (logical) risk of re-injury
6. Players show that they are hurt with in-game injury animations like limping
7. Re-injuries happen realistically instead of randomly.

We are really happy with this feature because it has added a whole new strategic element to Madden that hasn’t been there before. It also really helps convey the emotion and suspense of the NFL better in our game. If you have any feedback, please post away in the comments section or [here] in the forums.

- Ian Cummings
Lead Designer, Madden NFL 10

I think I've bought madden for like the last 10 yrs ... prolly will do so again although I say that I wont buy it on release .... ahhahaa , easy trophies would probably tempt me tho :p

I think I've bought madden for like the last 10 yrs ... prolly will do so again although I say that I wont buy it on release .... ahhahaa , easy trophies would probably tempt me tho :p

If I get it, will YOU Wreck? I think I'm gonna pick this one up. Hope you like gettin' your butt beat down by the Redskins. :scat: I just gotta take Horns little girly Raiders for a ride first ........ Shouldn't take long though.

If I get it, will YOU Wreck? I think I'm gonna pick this one up. Hope you like gettin' your butt beat down by the Redskins. :scat: I just gotta take Horns little girly Raiders for a ride first ........ Shouldn't take long though.

I might get this I might not... I get NCAA every year.

Hey Madden fans – it’s Monday, and you guessed it, it’s time for another blog. We are coming down to the wire with finishing the game that we’ve put so much effort into so far this year. E3 is looming large only a week away, so this is a big week for us in terms of really putting a nice level of polish on the game before we put a version out for the show. I’ll be working the booth with Senior Producer Phil Frazier along with fellow designers Josh Looman (Franchise guy) and Audrey Delong (presentation & commentary gal)...so if you happen to be there make sure you stop by and say hi.

2 weeks back we took a look at some of the improvements we made to our pass blocking in order to make the game more realistic (and fun) overall. I encourage everyone to take a look at it here. This week I wanted to give everyone a deeper look at some of the improvements to run blocking as well. Run blocking is one of the trickiest areas to program and tune just because of the amount of variation that happens in the NFL. Pass blocking is definitely complicated as well, but at some level you’ve got some pretty common concepts that you can follow (i.e. the OL needs to stay between the defender and the QB, the defensive end needs to get up field if he’s not stunting, etc). With run blocking however, there are just so many variations of plays that it can take much more time to get every single concept down pat while still making it a) realistic, b) responsive, and c) fun. At the beginning of the year, when we sat down as a group and looked at some of the areas we wanted to address, we all unanimously agreed that there were a few major areas that we just hadn’t quite emulated as well as we would like to create an authentic NFL sim.

Getting Movement Back In Our Blocks!
In the past, run blocking animations followed a similar style to the legacy pass blocking systems that have existed in Madden for years. Two players typically get “engaged”, and from there they play quick successions of animations over and over again while checking to see who wins or loses based on ratings. In every single play that our designers create, there is a concept of a “run hole” that they set (just like real life) – the ideal spot where the running back should go after he gets the ball. All the linemen make their blocks based off of this spot, assuming that the ball carrier will run right to it. Unfortunately, though we had that logic in our AI systems, our animation systems never really supported it correctly. Since lineman can’t turn and seal off a defender to open this hole correctly, or get leverage and drive him right out of there, it was much more of a lucky scenario instead of a skillful scenario if a big run hole opened up. With that knowledge, we knew we had to capture and implement all new moves that had a blocker either turning and seal off a run hole (when applicable) or possibly even driving him out of there with some momentum. Here’s an example of some successful blocks that really help open up the run lane and get some movement into our blocks.

[media=youtube]KzWL_hF8SB0[/media]&feature=player_embedded

The lack of movement in our blocks also was a big limiter in really accurately creating the “flow” that is so obvious on outside run plays in the NFL. It’s not an untouched foot race to the outside…it’s a very controlled yet hectic “flow” of defenders and blockers all moving towards the ballcarrier (even while engaged). Defenders are still running but maintaining their gap assignments and doing their best not to over-run the play and leave themselves open for a big cutback. Here’s one play from a more zoomed out view that shows how the new blocking animations (and logic) for more blocking movement can make an outside run play look and feel much more realistic from previous iterations.

[media=youtube]t6xjDrZu6Xw[/media]&feature=player_embedded

Putting You Back In Control!
Just like with pass blocking, we moved all of the “disengage / special move” controls to the right stick to make it easier to pull off. Based on the ratings of your player, he’ll choose either a finesse or a power move – it just didn’t seem to make sense to make you decide which one to choose if you don’t immediately know what he’s best at.

The big addition though was the implementation of the same branching technology as in pass blocks – with the goal of allowing you the gamer to break out of any block, at any time. Along with that, we knew that it has been a common complaint for years that you couldn’t do a move until you were engaged. We know that’s not how it works in the NFL - players obviously really want to stay free and keep their arms out so they don’t get all wrapped up by one of the big guys, but we didn’t really have the tech to emulate that well. So with our branching technology we made sure we had early branch points so that stronger or higher skilled guys could rip right past blockers even before they get “engaged”…example video:

[media=youtube]SlXRtzjMEXg[/media]&feature=player_embedded

Also in the same vein as the improvements to pass blocking...thanks to our new PRO-TAK™ steering technology, we were able to use much longer animations but allow them to be driven towards the ball carrier dynamically. As we touched on last time, this is absolutely vital to making sure the players feels like they are intelligent, and that you aren’t just sitting and watching a giant motion captured play without being able to control anything (anyone remember Dragon’s Lair in the arcade?). Here is a good example of DeMarcus Ware keeping the block moving towards the ball carrier, and then branching early out of what was a long block animation to make a big play in the backfield:

[media=youtube]xhflhPvXkvw[/media]&feature=player_embedded

Well, that’s it for this week’s blog, detailing just some of the key enhancements we’ve done to our run blocking to make it more authentic, realistic, and fun. In summary:
- Added 50+ new blocking animations
- Added the ability for the blocker to turn and seal a run hole or a backside defender
- Added the ability for the blocker to drive a defender in a direction relative to the run hole
- Added the ability for long blocking animations to be procedurally steered via PRO-TAK™
- Added branching technology to break out of a block at ANY TIME (including before the blocker even gets there)
- Changed mechanics for block disengages / special moves to be all R-stick driven
- Tuned and tweaked tons of other stuff

As always, we love to hear your feedback. We know that blocking can always be improved on and added to, so post away in the comments section or feel free to discuss more in depth over in the EA Forums.

- Ian Cummings
Lead Designer, Madden NFL 10

Foot note:
It’s very likely that we won’t have an official dev-team blog next week due to E3 (I’ll be in the air throughout the day), but other information will obviously be pouring out so our community team will be doing their best to keep the blog updated with anything new as it comes out.
Seeing though that I likely won’t be able to post next week, I figured I’d do double service and show a quick video of one of our new “hit stick” animations in Madden NFL 10. We have seen feedback from quite a few folks that many of the big hits from past years’ games looked too over-the-top and more like WWE moves than NFL tackles, so we spent a lot of time this year really refreshing our library and re-capturing and replacing hundreds of animations that you may have gotten used to seeing over the years.

Enjoy (unless of course you are a Portis fan)!

[media=youtube]IDUhmoC1PZk[/media]&feature=player_embedded

No Cali. It sucked 'cause I AM a Clinton Portis fan. I happen to love the Redskins and HATE the Cowgirls. THAT, my friend, is why it sucked.

I suck, ONLY because the ladies like it. ;)

I had a feeling it was that.. and i was just pulling ur chain.. we all know what u suck at...