Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Blu-ray SteelBook) (Zavvi Exclusive) [UK]

Jul 13, 2016
United kingdom
Release date: September 18, 2017
Purchase link: Zavvi (Pre-order August 13 around 6 PM BST)
Price: £15.99

11524895-1784505040982491.jpg

11524895-8914505041150767.jpg
11524895-1874505041211013.jpg
Audio: English 5.1 DTS HD Master Audio, Spanish 5.1 DTS
Subtitles: Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Spanish, Swedish, English

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautifully understated and elegant with an almost old sepia photograph look to it:-
MandCTFSotWSteel.jpg

Yes, old disc . . . goes without saying that a new disc with decent Extras and with artwork to go with the steelbook would have been the cherry on the cake.

. . . and if you prefer a more sea instead of sand colour just use a spot with blue bulb (lol) / steelbook J-card + data card of original Amaray release etc.:-
mkYrjIx.jpg

JQhIxH7.jpg
1bPtVvU.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Another to add to the list of fine steelbooks coming as Zavvi exclusives (in the UK) recently :thumbs:

That's likely to be the happiest post of the week. Thanks!

Also, I received my copy of the steelbook last week. It's a beautiful, creamy-glossy cover. Without the gloss, it'd be an utter fail. The problem is that it doesn't scream MASTER AND COMMANDER to me. But I'm just happy to have a steel at all for this movie.

• Thanks
Reactions: robbodoc and virkia
It's been 9 months so a price dip seems perfectly reasonable.

I wonder if it got a reprint of just 2k cuz it was also sold out for a long while as I had to source my copy months ago from eBay.

And yes beautiful steel in person.

And @C.C. 95 how right you are. If people want complete editions to build final definitive releases might as well research those extras in regards to quality as even huge blockbusters are not getting money spent on them at the studio for upgrading extras even on these new 4K releases.

Saving Private Ryan comes to mind where extras are SD, it’s like damn 4K movie and not even 1080p extras. Just goes to show you that we aren’t likely ever gonna get them otherwise so if need be on a steel buy a hub and source cheap dvd or bd disc and call it a day.

There’s plenty of small labels who make their bread and butter on upgrading and extras procured and or newly created but those labels won’t ever be able to snatch away those timeless classics that are constant money makers from big studios. Only hope for new content or remastering etc is big anniversary editions as that is when they can go back to a Director or others and they give it the time of day cause they too have it hold a special place in their heart but approving new stuff for the film they made every 3 years for some home media release they typically don’t care to be bothered with.

• Thanks
Reactions: C.C. 95
I wonder if it got a reprint of just 2k cuz it was also sold out for a long while as I had to source my copy months ago from eBay.
Honestly hadn't noticed this sold out before … was on my watch list - along with quite a few others - to pick up on price dips which never seemed to come or I was sleeping and missed.

Last edited:

And yes beautiful steel in person.

And @C.C. 95 how right you are. If people want complete editions to build final definitive releases might as well research those extras in regards to quality as even huge blockbusters are not getting money spent on them at the studio for upgrading extras even on these new 4K releases.

Saving Private Ryan comes to mind where extras are SD, it’s like damn 4K movie and not even 1080p extras. Just goes to show you that we aren’t likely ever gonna get them otherwise so if need be on a steel buy a hub and source cheap dvd or bd disc and call it a day.

There’s plenty of small labels who make their bread and butter on upgrading and extras procured and or newly created but those labels won’t ever be able to snatch away those timeless classics that are constant money makers from big studios. Only hope for new content or remastering etc is big anniversary editions as that is when they can go back to a Director or others and they give it the time of day cause they too have it hold a special place in their heart but approving new stuff for the film they made every 3 years for some home media release they typically don’t care to be bothered with.
DVD is not dead....because so many of those editions offer things never available on the Blu ray editions (even the premium ones).
Ex. The Hellboy Director's Cut box DVD set came with mountains of extras that were never on any blu ray editions.
0E578409-5325-4130-8DFE-1FB131415131.jpeg
The Limited Edition DVD set of Memento has the Chronological version of the Movie as an extra.
No blu ray edition has this.
846029DD-8462-4EB0-93E1-4473F66FAFB2.jpeg
Many times I supplement my library with DVD editions for this reason alone.