Metal Gear Solid: Revengeance Megathread

Jan 29, 2009
Metal Gear Solid: Rising​ is an upcoming action video game in the Metal Gear series by Kojima Productions. The game was announced at the Microsoft E3 2009 press conference, and is in development for PlayStation 3.

The series' former tagline, "Tactical Espionage Action", has been replaced by "Lightning Bolt Action", to fit the new protagonist, Raiden; the word raiden is Japanese for "thunder and lightning". Rising is an interquel set between the events of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

Box Art Coming

Gameplay:

Players assume control of Raiden, protagonist of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and supporting character in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Like previous titles in the Metal Gear series, Rising is a stealth action game, however creative producer Shigenobu Matsuyama notes that development is focused less on stealth and more on swordfighting action, giving players the opportunity to engage enemies in direct battle if they wish. Players will still have a degree of freedom to play the game as a stealth title, though the stealth elements will emphasize Raiden's considerable speed and agility, and will "involve heights." Director Mineshi Kimura has also stated that Rising would carry on the series tradition of encouraging players to progress through the game without killing, noting that there is a moral difference between attacking cyborgs or robots and attacking human beings, and that there's a "certain virtue to simply disabling your enemies instead of killing them."

A key gameplay feature for the game is titled zan-datsu, which involves "cutting" through enemies and "taking" parts from the bodies of dismembered cyborgs and robots. Things which can be taken include life, energy, parts, ammunition, items, and occasionally information. For example, in the E3 2010 trailer, Raiden tears a battery — in the form of a glowing mechanical spine — from a dismembered cyborg enemy, which he then crushes after absorbing energy from it to heal himself.

"Cutting" entails sophisticated swordplay that lets players engage in third person melee combat, as well as precisely slash enemies and objects "at will" along a geometrical plane using a "free slicing" mode. Virtually any object in the game can be cut, including vehicles and enemies, though elements of the environment were intentionally limited to structures such as pillars and walls to better facilitate gameplay. The free slicing mode is similar to other aiming modes in previous Metal Gear Solid titles, but produces a special targeting reticule in the form of a transparent blue plane which can be rotated and moved, tracing orange lines across the surfaces of objects to indicate exactly where they will be cut; it can also be used to enter a bullet time state, giving players the opportunity to precisely slash targets during moments of action, such as slicing through a falling target from multiple angles before it hits the ground. These features can be employed strategically, for example disabling opponents, finding weak points and gaps in armor, severing support columns to collapse ceilings or walls onto enemies, deflecting enemy fire, or cutting through objects to remove enemy cover. This is particularily important when facing cyborgs and robots, as cutting through different areas of their bodies will allow you to take different mechanical parts from within. Although Raiden's main weapon will be his high-frequency blade, he will also have "sub-weapons", Kimura revealed; gameplay footage has briefly shown Raiden wielding a dagger in his left hand.

Plot:

Metal Gear Solid: Rising chronicles the series of events that resulted in the transformation of Raiden, the protagonist and player character of Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty, into his cyborg ninja persona, first seen in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. Metal Gear Solid: Rising takes place during a point in the series' chronology at which Raiden has already begun his transformation into cyborg form, albeit with a different and somewhat more cruel appearance from the one seen in Metal Gear Solid 4, and will show how Raiden changes from his "Rising self" into his "MGS4 self."

While Kimura has been unable to reveal concrete details about the game's plot, teasers have depicted Raiden's body with portions of the body armor missing, and in his Metal Gear Solid 4 armor with sword drawn, crouching on the back of what appears to be Crying Wolf. The E3 2010 trailer depicts Raiden fighting a humanoid enemy equipped with a cybernetic exoskeleton similar to those worn by Metal Gear Solid 4's Beauty and the Beast Corps, which also bleeds the same artificial white blood that Raiden uses. Gameplay sequences also showed him fighting human PMC soldiers.

Screens:

500x_mgsscreen.jpg

500x_mgsr1-w1000.jpg

500x_mgsr2-w1000.jpg

500x_mgsr3-w1000.jpg

500x_mgsr5-w1000.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Metal Gear Solid is my all time favourite game so I've been watching this closely. I'll pick it up one day but I'll wait for a big price drop. I want to see Snake in action, not Raiden :naughty:

Saw the E3 Trailer a few days back, and all i gotta say is - looks like a Vita game LOL

- but no real surprise when you remember how awfully bad Platinum games handled PS3 version of Bayonetta (PS3 is apparently lead development platform for Rising).

I really dont know what's going on at Konmai - remember the original badass trailer, and gameplay video of Raiden cutting the watermelons from a few years back?

What a waste *shakes head*

Anyone play the demo? I loved it! :p It is a little difficult to parry some of the attacks still for me, but I got used to the gameplay quite fast. It's definitely a day one purchase!

Anyone play the demo? I loved it! :p It is a little difficult to parry some of the attacks still for me, but I got used to the gameplay quite fast. It's definitely a day one purchase!

I did! Played it today and found it quite hard to get used to the control system, especially defending the attacks, but it was a great to see what we will get next month. Now I have just to decide which version to go for!

Yeah it was hard to parry against attacks, specially from the boss at the end of the demo. That was tough. The regular goons, I had no issues. So far I am loving the demo.

yeah, the blocking is kinda hard to pull off.I got up to the part where i had to fight the two gecko and kept dying so i just gave up.The games looks gorgeous though.

Yeah I died once on that part, the key is to kill the guys with the rockets first then use triangle and square to weaken the gecko.

Trailer for the bosses

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: tridon
Yeah it was hard to parry against attacks, specially from the boss at the end of the demo. That was tough. The regular goons, I had no issues. So far I am loving the demo.

I found the boss easier than the Gecko + soldiers combination, because you can focus on it and not worry about getting hit by a rocket or shots. Need to a find a way to beat them more easily.

I'm happy I pre-ordered from EB Games now. Not only do I get a skin to play as the Ninja Gray Fox but I also receive a 24-page artbook now! :scat:

Canceled the Collector's Edition from amazon, hopefully it'll drop in price.

I canceled mine, too. The lamp is cool, but it's nothing I'd want to own. I ordered the Zavvi CE instead, so that along with my EB artbook and the CE hardcover guide makes me a happy Metal Gear fan. :D

Well the price is high for now and I played the Demo and didn't really get a good feel about the game play :(

same here ... I'm note huge into gamign right now or id get both ... but instead im just going with crysis 3 for now.

I don't think it was ever meant to be like the classic MGS title cooey. Even before Konami decided to can the original planned story for Rising, it was fairly obvious it was meant to be a Raiden hack and slash story based in the midst of the events of MGS 4.

Did anyone pick up the game? How is it? Did anything change in the controls for the final version?