Modifying SteelBooks

Feb 17, 2010
Share how you modify your Steelbooks here.

diy1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
made it!!!

By luck I got 2 spare cases (thanks to dvdoo.dk) to slim my 2 Disney's jumbo cases

Took a deep breath and a ton of patience I MADE IT!!!!
oohyeah.gif
oohyeah.gif

Just over read other forum manual+pics and was a pice of cake, hope with this I have my matser degree on SteelBook Collector!!!!

will kind of hijack this thread since modifying not only applies to slim the jumbo cases and seems to be the "inn thing" over steelbooks

Converting Jumbo's To Slimlines And Replacing Spines

Following a request by Digitalbabe I have brought you my how to guide to converting Jumbos to Normal slimline G2 Steelbook cases. If anyone is interested in the spine artwork, please pm me.

Other threads that may be of interest:

Converting Jumbos to Slimlines

Modifying Steelbooks

PART ONE
Finally I have pics of my "Little Experiment"
Below are 2 pics of the original Jumbo steel
Up-openis.jpg

Up-openos.jpg

Firstly I started to work on my unwanted Steelbook (I swapped a damaged 2 disc Gladiator for a 3 disc Snow White)
001.jpg

Carefully I use a small knife to remove the front and back panels on my Gladiator Steelbook. Pics 1-3 show this.
002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

pic 5 & 6 shows the bare frame
006.jpg

007.jpg

Next boil some soapy water to soak the spine, this softens the sticky tape holding on the spine plate. Pic 7 & 8
008.jpg

009.jpg

Whilst the spine is still hot and using a plastic tool carefully slide under spine, I used a glu spreader, making sure not to curl or bend metal plate. Pic 9 & 10
011.jpg

012.jpg

Pic 11 shows casing with metal spine plate removed
013.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

PART 2
Pic 12 shows the sticky tape on the plate.
014.jpg

With a small knife carefully remove the front and back plates. (Pics 13 & 14)
017.jpg

018.jpg

Pic 15 shows the front and back plates.
019.jpg

Pic 16 shows the plates plus the old Jumbo frame.
022.jpg

Carefully replace the Up steelplates on the slimline frame. (Pics 17 & 18)
DSC00033-1.jpg

DSC00034.jpg

A few weeks ago some scans of slimline spine artwork were posted in this thread. Today I was able to print them (10 copies of each) at a local printers. They were printed on sticky vinyl. (pics 19 & 20)
023.jpg

024.jpg

Using a stanley knife cut the vinyle prints. (pic 21 & 22)
025.jpg

026.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

PART 3
Carefully stick the Outside (23) and Inside (24) vinyl strips onto the front and back of the metal strip. (Pics 23 & 24 shows them finished)

027.jpg

028.jpg

As a tip I placed cellotape over vinyl to stop artwork from getting damaged.
Place a strip of double sided sticky tape on the back of spine. (Pic 25)

029.jpg

Finally place your new spine on the spine area of your slimline frame. (Pic 26 & 27)

030.jpg

031.jpg

Finally pics of the finished product.
DSC00036.jpg

DSC000332.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 PM ----------

Lord Of The Rings

LoR001StyleA.jpg

LoR001StyleB.jpg

LoR002StyleA.jpg

LoR002StyleB.jpg

LoR003StyleA.jpg

LoR003StyleB.jpg

LoRTrilogyB.jpg

LoRTrilogyA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hola fellow Surgeon!!!, here also the Cirujano del Acero :D

I got me degree following this pics

By luck I got 2 spare cases (thanks to dvdoo.dk) to slim my 2 Disney's jumbo cases

Took a deep breath and a ton of patience I MADE IT!!!!
oohyeah.gif
oohyeah.gif

Just over read other forum manual+pics and was a pice of cake, hope with this I have my matser degree on SteelBook Collector!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Snow White

SnowWhiteSpine-Clean-WaltDisney.jpg

SnowWhiteSpine-SnowWhite-WaltDisney.jpg

SnowWhiteSpine-Witch-WaltDisney.jpg

SnowWhiteSpineThin004-SevenDwarf-1.jpg

SnowWhite001.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monsters, Inc

MonstersSpineInside.jpg

MonstersSpineOutside.jpg

DSC00086.jpg

Up

UpspineforInside.png

UpspineOutside.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

All 3 of my Favourite conversions together.

MonstersInc_SnowWhite_Up.jpg

Fast And The Furious

FF-Titles04.jpg

FF-Chrome01.jpg

FF-FacesClose03.jpg

FF-FacesWide02.jpg

Again, if you want the original files PM me.

---------- Post added at 03:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 PM ----------

Hola fellow Surgeon!!!, here also the Cirujano del Acero :D

I got me degree following this pics

well done. If you want the artwork for the spines just let me know my friend.

Last edited:
Blu-Devil-thank you for taking the time to post this-very cool! I've stickied, so people can take some time to check this out.

Now not only applies to Jumbo's or SteelBooks here my specialty on Metalpak's :D

I switched covers, one case damaged in the disc holder is in the low 2K's so I take the risk.

The plastic cover is more hard to take out than the SteelBook.

My recomendation is to do it with twice patience and less force as the used on SteelBook™'s, I used 2 plastic cards to loose the plastic cover if you can find one light plastic card wil help since metal edge cand be easily damaged watch out.

Wow you did a great job converting Up, Monsters & Snow White.

Unfortunately I do not think I wold be able to do this, as easy as it looks I can picture a bent Monsters Inc and think I'll live with the jumbo for now :(