Movie Recommendation Thread

mobius387

beer snob
Premium Supporter
Feb 16, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
This is a place for people to come and recommend movies and check out what others have recommended. Please limit to new releases in theater or Blu-ray/DVD as there are waaay to many good movies from the past to list.

Format Rules

Please follow the following format rules, and I will attempt to update this thread and make a list of 5 star ratings you guys put here.

Movie Name
Genre
Theater Release Date
Star rating (out of 5)

Brief explanation of why its good.

Heres an example:

Doubt
Drama/Mystery
25 December 2008
5 Stars

This movie delivers on what it advertises. You will doubt everything from the ending to who the protagonist/antagonist is. A great story with a simple plot that produces great drama/mystery at a perfect pace. Great acting from top to bottom.

Hopefully we can get a good recommendation system working, as its pretty hard to find a good movie these days. The next post will have the list of all your 5 star recommendations.

Last edited:
5 Star Recommendations

air_max's movies

Doubt
Drama/Mystery
25 December 2008
5 Stars

This movie delivers on what it advertises. You will doubt everything from the ending to who the protagonist/antagonist is. A great story with a simple plot that produces great drama/mystery at a perfect pace. Great acting from top to bottom.

Wreck's movies

The Illusionist
drama/suspense
1 September 2006
5 Stars

Last edited:
Observe and Report
Comedy
10 April 2009
2.5 Stars

Not as funny as other Seth Rogen films. More of a dark humor that lacks any fall-off-your-seat-laughing scenes. Mostly awkward humor that falls more towards just awkward. But overall not terrible. If you're a huge Rogen fan bump this rating up a bit

Star Trek
Action
May 7
4.5 stars

This movie is entertaining. There is alot of action in this movie. The film was made for wide audiences and it does not matter if you have seen Star Trek before this film. If you are a sci-fi junky this is a must. Only negative was the cheesy love story.

Changeling
Drama
31 October 2008
3.5 Stars

Has some powerful imagery, with a storyline that grips you. Drags on towards the end, big time, which really takes away from the movie. Pretty good acting.

The Illusionist - drama/suspense - 5 stars
Terminator Salvation - action 4.5 stars ... probably the loudest movie I've ever seen ... this will rock your socks off.

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Drama?
December 25th 2009
4 of 5

The film depicts the life of Benjamin from being born a "old" baby and growing younger throughout his life. The film was a bit long, but it's not for everyone. I recommend at least a rental.

they reissued the blu. make sure you get the right one. people complained about the translation.

and the movie was fantastic

The translation or the dubs?

the dubs were so wretched and poor in acting that in order to get any real feeling from the actors was to just turn on the subtitles and turn off the dubs.

Was an excellent movie - just don't like how it advertises to be scary when indeed it is not really a thriller as much as us americans think of when we expect thriller.

Transformers 2
Action
24th June 2009
2 of 5

Don't expect anything other than action in this movie, and I mean ANYTHING. The humor is cheap, the plot is lame, transitions were bad, they don't explain much. Editing was bad, script was bad, directing was bad. The only reason this doesn't get a 0 of 5 is because the action was really good. Great special effects. Yes Megan Fox was hot :p

The translation or the dubs?

the dubs were so wretched and poor in acting that in order to get any real feeling from the actors was to just turn on the subtitles and turn off the dubs.

Was an excellent movie - just don't like how it advertises to be scary when indeed it is not really a thriller as much as us americans think of when we expect thriller.

it wasn't just the aiudio translation people had problems with. they were also upset that the subs didn't match the theatrical release. They said the subs didn't make any sense. well guess what. I watched it with the "bad" subs and I still came away thinking this movie is one of the best I have seen, horror or otherwise. I'm happy with the original translation and will not give up my copy for anything. This is discussed to many lengths over the internet so let's get back on topic.

DØD SNØ
Norwegian or Swedish Horror
4/5

If your hot to trot with the new Nazi Zombie maps on COD:W@W then you will absolutely love this flick. A group of kids venture up the mountains for a weekend of fun and uncover something that releases Nazi Zombies that were barried up there in the snow during the second world war. An extremely fun movie to watch. I can't wait to get the Blu!

Moon
Sci-fi
5 out of 5

Received limited viewing in theaters and it's a fantastic Sci-fi film driven by an excellent story rather than special effects.

Grandma's Boy
Comedy
4/5

"Adios, Turd Nuggets!"

It's a movie filled with weed smokers and funny lines. I laughed from beginning to near end of this movie, and I don't normally like pothead movies.

Moon is definitely a great movie. Grandma's boy is just F'n hilarious. But i recommend:

Hurt Locker
War/Action
5 out of 5

Great movie from start to finish. All about this group of US soldiers that goes around disarming bombs in Iraq. Check it out.

HEAT
1995 - Al Pacino & Robert De Niro
5/5
(Powerful movie!! One of my all time favorites, and can't believe some of you haven't watched this yet.)
It IS out on blu.

HEAT
1995 - Al Pacino & Robert De Niro
5/5
(Powerful movie!! One of my all time favorites, and can't believe some of you haven't watched this yet.)
It IS out on blu.

I finally saw that, thought it was ok. Probably because I saw way way after it came out. Maybe if I had seen it when it came out I may have a different thought about it.