Release date: April 25th, 2016
Purchase link: Planet Earth (live)
Price: £19.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda disappointed its not the 6 Disc Ultimate version... But a lot cheaper than PlainArchive

ROFL ... and Plain Archive are charging how much for the fullslipped / lenti versions !?

Day light robbery. I hope PA see this and come down in price as I would still like the fullslip as it has a booklet.

Alternatively I hope somebody takes this Zavvi version and gives it a fullslip / booklet. FilmArena ... FilmArena ... FilmArena ...

This is why I didn't get the Plain Archive one!! Thank you Zavvi!!
I'm all for cheaper steelbooks, but a lot of you are misinformed. Before you start faulting PA, understand PA doesn't decide on the prices and it is not a PA release. And PA is not the only place you can get those Korean slip boxes. ;)

Very stage choice for a steelbook come on there are many awesome films that need the steel treamment.

Reactions: virkia
Very stage choice for a steelbook come on there are many awesome films that need the steel treamment.
This was one of the most voted choices in the recent BBC steelbook Poll list that HDN did and will sell well especially considering the Korean release price

You can expect more BBC releases to happen
You seen already announced
Doctor Who (Zavvi and Amazon)
Luther
Planet Earth
Red Dwarf
Sherlock (HMV)
Peaky Blinders

Last edited:
I'm all for cheaper steelbooks, but a lot of you are misinformed. Before you start faulting PA, understand PA doesn't decide on the prices and it is not a PA release. And PA is not the only place you can get those Korean slip boxes. ;)

Yea I know it wasn't PA, they are just the retailer in this case so it seems they are getting the blame! Regardless it was way too pricey and I stated in that thread that I would wait until Zavvi released a more reasonably priced one as I could not see myself forking out over $100 for it.

Reactions: AlienKing
Easy pass! Anyone who really wanted Planet Earth most likely already owns the box set. I really don't see that placing the discs in a SteelBook is going to suddenly make a bunch of consumers suddenly decide to buy it! Of all the things that the BBC could offer us, they offer us this!

Reactions: Flloydo

Totally agree with you on that.
I collect films, in steelbooks if available, and not TV series' in steelbooks (unless the packaging is a bit special).
Oscar-winning or Cult films would be most welcome especially if new to Blu in the U.K.

Personally NOT in favour of TV stuff in steelbooks - much prefer solid digipack boxsets/giftsets for these series' preferably with the complete series in one slipbox and don't think I would like the spindle mechanism with 5 discs crammed into such a small space as it all sounds just a tad inconvenient apart from being a hassle to access a particular disc - I mean, do you have to take out those on top to get hold of the one you want?).

Anyway slip sliding away from steelbooks, what with all this recent TV stuff (and now even WWE wrestling - strewth!) and wondering what's coming next to make me lose interest completely in these shiny or not so shiny metal boxes.

RE: NUMBER OF DISCS INSIDE THIS STEELBOOK: listed at Zavvi and BR.com as a 5 disc set (5 BDs) running time of 563 minutes which is EXACTLY the same spec as the original boxset released in 2007 here in the U.K. with the later 2010 "Special Edition" boxset release listed as a 6 disc set (5 BDs, 1 DVD - 4 BD50s, 1 BD25 and 1 DVD) and with a running time of 660 minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flash
Easy pass! Anyone who really wanted Planet Earth most likely already owns the box set. I really don't see that placing the discs in a SteelBook is going to suddenly make a bunch of consumers suddenly decide to buy it! Of all the things that the BBC could offer us, they offer us this!

I already own the box set and will be giving this a miss even if it does have an extra disc (my box set is the original 5 disc release) and although zavvi state 5 discs like Paul has said this might contain the 6th disc but that don't bother me.

I have no problem with series or docs getting steels. I'll skip them if I'm not a fan like the awful dr who, Sherlock and a few others (IMO).
I love waking dead but skipped the Uk release becuase of jumbo steels and skipped breaking bad because I own the barrel (and I like the art on those steels) but I just didn't want to double dip.

The first series steel i owned was firefly (so the whole series thing isn't a new thing) and now have game of thrones, true detective and a few others but I just have a feeling zavvi will over do the the whole series Steelbooks this year. I had a feeling this would happen after that BBC poll

This is such an amazing doc series (one of the best in nature narrated by an absolute legend and amazing voice) but I won't be double dipping

On a side note I'm looking forward to continuing the game of thrones steels, I hope we get a true detective season 2, i would also love to see both Fargo seasons on steel too (none of what i mention by zavvi though) and also daredevil (which I imagine I it does happen will be zavvi) and agent Carter season 2 (but has to have decent back art)

Last edited:
Personally NOT in favour of TV stuff in steelbooks - much prefer solid digipack boxsets/giftsets for these series' preferably with the complete series in one slipbox and don't think I would like the spindle mechanism with 5 discs crammed into such a small space as it all sounds just a tad inconvenient apart from being a hassle to access a particular disc - I mean, do you have to take out those on top to get hold of the one you want?).

Of course you have to take them out to get to another. How else do you think it works lol

It's really no hassle (unless the person is a complete lazy f*cker) to take a disc or two out of a holder to get to the third!!
The game of thrones steels are like this which has put an end to awful jumbo steelbooks

The listing of 5 Discs is most likely a mistake if it does include as listed on Zavvi website Planet Earth: The Future and previous content that was in the original 5 Disc Set
That would mean it's 6 Discs and not 5
If it is actually 5 Discs then it's either missing a disc or it don't include Planet Earth: The Future
The only likely disc they could drop is the Nature World Disc as Disc 1-4 is the TV Series itself

The only way any of us will know for sure what content and number of discs is in the steelbook is when one of us gets delivery

Planet Earth The Future
? Anyone who has the UK Special Edition
Was the DVD The Planet Earth The Future or did the DVD contain something else
? What was on the DVD

Last edited:
Ordered as I haven't owned it and I make the mistake of purchasing it when came out in the USA on HD-DVD. That's one howler I won't make again.

Totally agree with you on that.
I collect films, in steelbooks if available, and not TV series' in steelbooks (unless the packaging is a bit special).
Oscar-winning or Cult films would be most welcome especially if new to Blu in the U.K.

Anyway slip sliding away from steelbooks, what with all this recent TV stuff (and now even WWE wrestling - strewth!) and wondering what's coming next to make me lose interest completely in these shiny or not so shiny metal boxes.

RE: NUMBER OF DISCS INSIDE THIS STEELBOOK: listed at Zavvi and BR.com as a 5 disc set (5 BDs) running time of 563 minutes which is EXACTLY the same spec as the original boxset released in 2007 here in the U.K. with the later 2010 "Special Edition" boxset release listed as a 6 disc set (5 BDs, 1 DVD - 4 BD50s, 1 BD25 and 1 DVD) and with a running time of 660 minutes.

I totally agree with you. I mean there are so many amazing series and films not released in steelbook, stats can be quoted all day long by other people to me, I don't know anyone who watches planet earth so for me it was a random choice in my opinion that's what I was saying. I don't really care if people want to watch or buy it whatever lol

I totally agree with you. I mean there are so many amazing series and films not released in steelbook, stats can be quoted all day long by other people to me, I don't know anyone who watches planet earth so for me it was a random choice in my opinion that's what I was saying. I don't really care if people want to watch or buy it whatever lol

(I'm not arguing with you FYI)
But how do you not know anyone who watched planet earth? Pretty much every house hold in the UK watched it and it was groundbreaking.
I'm really surprised you don't know anyone who watched it !

Me and my mates used to get together as a bunch and watch it.
Same with life, the hunt, and all the others. I used to go into work the next day and everyone would be taking about it or telling other to shut up because they missed it and had to wait for the repeat.

They are nature docs at the complete best. It's the one thing the BBC do get right and it's always mind blowing.
Infact because of these film crews and docs the BBC do its because of them we have more footage of a blue whales and things like polar bears hunting in a way never seen before and also new finds on how animals live, adapt, mate and hunt. They are crazy good and the HD pays off 100% along with the greatest voice ever narrating them

Reactions: paulboland