Purchase link: Planet Earth (live)
Price: £19.99
Notes: Limited to 2,000 copies.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Planet Earth The Future as far as I know is a DVD
? Anyone who has the UK Special Edition was the DVD Planet Earth The Future or something else

Never bought it myself but reading a review from someone who has bought it I can make out the following information:-

Disc 5 of the DVD SET is entitled "The Future" and contains three documentaries:-
1) "Saving Species"
2) "Into the Wilderness"
3) "Living Together"

DVD Disc 6 of the 5 BD + 1 DVD "SPECIAL EDITION" SET contains two Natural World documentaries - NOT including "The Future" which is ONLY IN THE DVD SET.
The two included in the "SE" in SD are:-
1) "Secrets of the Maya Underworld"
2) "Great Planet Earth Moments"

If anyone owns any of these early sets confirmation of the above would be appreciated.

Reactions: paulboland
There are no special features on my blu Ray box set
Just the episodes

Disc 1:
1. from pole to pole
2. Mountains
3. Fresh water

Disc 2:
4. Caves
5. Deserts
6. Ice worlds

Disc 3:
7. Great Plains
8. Jungles
9. Shallow seas

Disc 4:
10. Seasonal forests
11. Ocean deep

Disc 5: (which I believe was a special)
- natural world
1. Desert lions
2. Snow leopards

Was the special features only included on the DVD?

• Informative
Reactions: TobinFrost
There are no special features on my blu Ray box set
Just the episodes

Disc 1:
1. from pole to pole
2. Mountains
3. Fresh water

Disc 2:
4. Caves
5. Deserts
6. Ice worlds

Disc 3:
7. Great Plains
8. Jungles
9. Shallow seas

Disc 4:
10. Seasonal forests
11. Ocean deep

Disc 5: (which I believe was a special)
- natural world
1. Desert lions
2. Snow leopards

Was the special features only included on the DVD?
The 6 disc Special Edition Release was slightly different
The Blu-ray Special Edition
It has on Discs 1-4 with new extras production diaries
Disc 5
1. Desert lions
2. Snow leopards

Disc 6 was DVD
Natural World
Secrets of the Maya Underworld
Great Planet Earth Moments

Even if they drop the DVD Disc 6 from the special edition it would still be 5 Discs
If it does include Planet Earth The Future and does not drop Disc 5 Blu-ray Natural World that would make it 6 Discs
In the USA Planet Earth The Future was in HD on a Blu-ray and only on DVD in the UK

So i'm curious have they done new disc pressing with Planet Earth The Future content added to a one of the Blu-ray's to make it still 5 Discs

Reactions: Flloydo
The 6 disc Special Edition Release was slightly different
The Blu-ray Special Edition
It has on Discs 1-4 with new extras production diaries
Disc 5
1. Desert lions
2. Snow leopards

Disc 6 was DVD
Natural World
Secrets of the Maya Underworld
Great Planet Earth Moments

Even if they drop the DVD Disc 6 from the special edition it would still be 5 Discs
If it does include Planet Earth The Future and does not drop Disc 5 Blu-ray Natural World that would make it 6 Discs
In the USA Planet Earth The Future was in HD on a Blu-ray and only on DVD in the UK

So i'm curious have they done new disc pressing with Planet Earth The Future content added to a one of the Blu-ray's to make it still 5 Discs

Oh yeah i remember they dropped the production diaries from the episodes on the blu Ray. That was very weird, they are so interesting too.

Okay so if this is avaliable after April 18th and after I've seen pics then I may get a copy. But only if it has the extra stuff like you say and I like the pics. I'm pretty much skint up until a few days after the release so I'll just wait. If it sells out then no biggie as I already have the 5 disc box set

Reactions: paulboland
(I'm not arguing with you FYI)
But how do you not know anyone who watched planet earth? Pretty much every house hold in the UK watched it and it was groundbreaking.
I'm really surprised you don't know anyone who watched it !

Me and my mates used to get together as a bunch and watch it.
Same with life, the hunt, and all the others. I used to go into work the next day and everyone would be taking about it or telling other to shut up because they missed it and had to wait for the repeat.

They are nature docs at the complete best. It's the one thing the BBC do get right and it's always mind blowing.
Infact because of these film crews and docs the BBC do its because of them we have more footage of a blue whales and things like polar bears hunting in a way never seen before and also new finds on how animals live, adapt, mate and hunt. They are crazy good and the HD pays off 100% along with the greatest voice ever narrating them

clearly not many households in Scotland ;) as nope don't know anyone here that has watched it or many who have even heard of it to be honest. But I am very glad you enjoyed it but it's really not my thing so I personally have no interest in it or a steelbook (see appreciate no arguing) :drool:

• Informative
clearly not many households in Scotland ;) as nope don't know anyone here that has watched it or many who have even heard of it to be honest. But I am very glad you enjoyed it but it's really not my thing so I personally have no interest in it or a steelbook (see appreciate no arguing) :drool:

Oh yeah that explains it...... Scotland
Lol

Joking, but still I'm surprised you don't know anyone who watched it

Reactions: Flash
Oh yeah i remember they dropped the production diaries from the episodes on the blu Ray. That was very weird, they are so interesting too.

Okay so if this is avaliable after April 18th and after I've seen pics then I may get a copy. But only if it has the extra stuff like you say and I like the pics. I'm pretty much skint up until a few days after the release so I'll just wait. If it sells out then no biggie as I already have the 5 disc box set
I will be keeping my order as it's a brilliant TV series and any new extras content is welcomed
Even it is the same content of the original 5 Disc Set I was still going to get a steelbook release anyway
The Korean price though was way to high for my pocket to go with that one so Zavvi version that's a lot cheaper is perfect for me and my wallet

As soon as I get delivery I will let you know what content is on the discs
I will post photos when I have time spare as I work more night shifts now than compared to before so I have on certain weeks less free time to do photos

There's just so much amazing nature stuff on Blu-ray (and some even in 3D) that we are spoilt for choice and whilst I admit to enjoying it on TV when its on I don't usually buy it - that is, apart from a couple of exceptions:-
1) the Jacques Cousteau 3 BD digipack film Collection (because JC was on TV a lot when I was a child) so for sentimental reasons apart from for the marvellous underwater scenery.
2) the Werner Hertzog: Encounters in the Natural World boxset because if contains the unforgettable "Grizzly Man" which I'd heard about and had to own.

Of course, all of the Sir David Attenborough OM CH CVO CBE FRS FLS FZS FSA Kt 's nature stuff is in a class of its own and he is a total National Treasure now approaching the grand age of 90 (in a couple of months), still working and with a history of nature programmes going back to the excellent "Life on Earth" (1979) produced by the BBC Natural History Unit (and even before that, from 1954 to 1963 with "Zoo Quest" and 1973's "The Tribal Eye" - a Natural History series set in S.E. Asia) to the very recent "Great Barrier Reef" from 2015.
That's not taking into account all of his other jobs such as a TV presenter in the early '50's, Controller of BBC2 and Director of Programming for both of the Beeb's networks and where he was responsible for bringing colour TV and Monty Python to the U.K. in 1969 . . .
Phew !
All that being said there is apparently a Discovery Channel version with the narration done by Sigourney Weaver (of "Gorillas in the Mist" fame . . . ) instead of by Sir David.

- Sir David's opening narration, "A hundred years ago there were one and a half billion people on Earth. Now over six billion crowd our fragile planet, But, even so, there are still places barely touched by humanity. This series will take you to the last wildernesses and show you the planet and its wildlife like you have never seen it before."
- Tagline - "The Most Amazing Achievement in Natural History on TV the World Has Ever Seen".

The facts and figures speak for themselves:-
- Project took 40 camera teams shooting at over 200 different locations all over the world for a period of more than 5 years.
- The most expensive nature documentary series ever (costing the equivalent of $25Mcommissioned by the BBC and the first to be shot (almost entirely) in HD.
- Very profitable award-winning (5 Primetime Emmys et al) global brand with high appreciation ratings eventually sold to 150 countries.
- Words like "Epic" and "Landmark" are appropriate for this series.
- The series was chosen to trial the new BBC high-definition channel in 2006 and its opening episode was its first ever scheduled programme in that format.
- First 5 episodes drew an average audience of 11 million in the U.K. with the first episode "Pole to Pole" broadcast here in March 2006 watched by more people than any other natural history programme since Sir David's previous series "The Blue Planet" in 2001.
- Audience figures in the U.S., on Discovery and Discovery HD, gave the channel its third highest audience ever with records broken during its broadcast run, reaching more than 100 million viewers and becoming, "the most watched cable event of all time".
- In February of this year the BBC announced a six-part a SEQUEL entitled "Planet Earth 2" for release later this year with Sir David Attenborough returning as narrator and presenter.
- Massive DVD and BD sales by the end of 2007 of 3 million units made it the highest-grossing HD title and one of the top ten DVD titles of the year.
-

Last edited:
The Discovery channel version is the US version with Sigourney Weaver narration.
Planet Earth Uk Blu-ray David Attenborough / Planet Earth US Blu-ray Sigourney Weaver
Planet Earth II has been filming last 3 years using all the latest tech and Gizmos, Drones 4K etc
Due to air later this year on TV in 4K UHD and obviously 4K UHD Blu-ray soon afterwards
Narrated by David Attenborough UK
We can maybe presume this series will launch 4K TV on the BBC

• Informative
The Discovery channel version is the US version with Sigourney Weaver narration.
Planet Earth Uk Blu-ray David Attenborough / Planet Earth US Blu-ray Sigourney Weaver
Planet Earth II has been filming last 3 years using all the latest tech and Gizmos, Drones 4K etc
Due to air later this year on TV in 4K UHD and obviously 4K UHD Blu-ray soon afterwards
Narrated by David Attenborough UK
We can maybe presume this series will launch 4K TV on the BBC
Which version came in the globe? David or Sigourney?

David Attenborough in the Globe set
whether they switched them out for US or was just one version
Doesn't seem to be the case as was just a limited edition release