Play.com New SteelBook Packaging Methods

Wreck

Is Here To Serve
Staff Member
Jan 26, 2009
USA
Just a general FYI ....

Your voice has been heard in regards to how steels are packaged and they are working on methods to better protect them in many different ways that I can't go into full details yet.

But once again this is great news for all those living in the UK ordering steelbooks. (and of course for all our group buy participants regarding their titles)

Things are being worked on in this regard, and it's not being taken lightly. No set date as to when you will start seeing this in action. (But it should be well before that insane wave coming in June ;) )

HDN salutes Play for being a company that listens to the consumer community!

Pictures of new packaging (thanks to Jaspar)
package1.jpg

package2.jpg

package3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had two steelbooks arrive yesterday in the new packaging, But instead of the steelbook being packed in-between the two foam sheets. They were placed on top of the foam, So the only thing protecting the top of the steelbook was the box, WTF

I had two steelbooks arrive yesterday in the new packaging, But instead of the steelbook being packed in-between the two foam sheets. They were placed on top of the foam, So the only thing protecting the top of the steelbook was the box, WTF

where the steels ok

its great to get steels delivered in tact, the play packaging also come in handy for trades and e - bay sales etc.......lets hope hmv take a note and get there act together!!!!!

Ok looks like Play's new packaging team has gone AWOL - got two steels in the new boxes yesterday but as previously posted steels were on top of the foam protection not between it!

Then today it seems a return to the old days except I've never seen such a beaten up jiffy bag envelope it was almost flat it was so battered...,

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340093749.707233.jpg

Ok looks like Play's new packaging team has gone AWOL - got two steels in the new boxes yesterday but as previously posted steels were on top of the foam protection not between it!

Then today it seems a return to the old days except I've never seen such a beaten up jiffy bag envelope it was almost flat it was so battered...,

View attachment 11481
Ouch man hope the steelbooks survived that crash??

Not good. Wonder why? I don't think they've run out of boxes (I'm sure they mentioned something about this either on facebook/Twitter or in an email to a member), just seems like not all the packing staff are fully clued up.

Play need to sort this quick. Great job on getting the packaging in place but they really need consistency now. Brief all staff on it for a start.

Yeah but surely these white boxes are costing them a bit more than their previous flimsy packaging no??

I did a big order and received it last week.

I did the order in two different days. First 2 steel books, and then 3 or 4 days later I ordered like 5 or 6.

Well I received them all together last week. The 2 steel books I ordered first came in the famous nice white box. The other ones came in a regular box all together with no protection, no bubble wrap no nothing. Why? I dont know....

Yeah but surely these white boxes are costing them a bit more than their previous flimsy packaging no??

It shouldn't do as surely they purchase the material in big bulk quantities? Obviously more expensive than jiffy bags but I'd rather they jack the price up 20p or so to cover the box rather than having to deal with dented/damaged steelbooks.

It shouldn't do as surely they purchase the material in big bulk quantities? Obviously more expensive than jiffy bags but I'd rather they jack the price up 20p or so to cover the box rather than having to deal with dented/damaged steelbooks.

Read more: https://www.hidefninja.com/community/threads/16454/&page=20#ixzz1yEoMk7q8

I would totally prefer paying those 20 cents more than getting the steel booke ruined.

Hope they read this forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
to be honest, play's packaging is quite premuim compared to amazon's cardboard pillow and i presume it's it costs quite a bit more that a standard jiffy bag. i guess they've been testing the water with this new packaging to see what the feedback is like

if they introduced it as "premuim packaging" at an "small" additional cost at checkout i'd be quite happy to pay it

saying that, i presume that Wreck has the answers for us ;)

to be honest, play's packaging is quite premuim compared to amazon's cardboard pillow and i presume it's it costs quite a bit more that a standard jiffy bag. i guess they've been testing the water with this new packaging to see what the feedback is like

if they introduced it as "premuim packaging" at an "small" additional cost at checkout i'd be quite happy to pay it

saying that, i presume that Wreck has the answers for us ;)

That's a great idea right there. Have as a 'premium' option if they are losing too much on it currently. Of course, it must not take the p*** though and be too expensive to add this option. IMO.

Movietyme used to have a premuim packaging (jiffy inside a cardboard box) and that was £1 on top of the shipping which wasn't bad.

My Man On Fire replacement arrived yesterday and in the new steel box packaging. I was honestly expecting a jiffy with all the comments I've read on here and br.com recently.

Really hope this new packaging pays off for play. Out of 9 steels I ordered, only 1 arrived damaged (and that had nothing to do with packaging, it was definitely damaged before the shrinkwrap was applied).

I dunno if this has happened with anyone else - but i ordered a load of Alien steels and every 1 out of 3 is slightly ripped? No damage to the steel itself but knowing how fussy some collectors are out there I'm struggling getting rid of them now!