Power Supply question

Apr 29, 2009
Hey everyone, I'm building a small PC for my parents and when I connected my Power Supply to the Motherboard and turned everything on one of the wires melted and proceeded to smoke.:emb: I found the problem and fixed it but I'm not sure if my PSU is still safe to use. It was only one of the cables coming from the PSU and everything else works fine.

My main question: Should I go out and buy another power supply or can I cover the exposed wires that are coming from the PSU using some type of material i.e. electrical tape?

Thanks in advance for the help.

lol..where theres smoke theres fire....i wouldn't want to have a case of your place going down in flames like a fire started from a Cheapo laptop,i'd def go with a new PSU just for the safe side.

Hey everyone, I'm building a small PC for my parents and when I connected my Power Supply to the Motherboard and turned everything on one of the wires melted and proceeded to smoke.:emb: I found the problem and fixed it but I'm not sure if my PSU is still safe to use. It was only one of the cables coming from the PSU and everything else works fine.

My main question: Should I go out and buy another power supply or can I cover the exposed wires that are coming from the PSU using some type of material i.e. electrical tape?

Thanks in advance for the help.

If you have any insulation remaining on the wires just clip them down to the insulation so they aren't exposed anymore. Otherwise you could very carefully use electrical tape to isolate each wire and then wrap both together so they aren't all over the place. If you have shrink wrap you could use that as well to re-insulate the wires.

If you want to be sure everything will run normal you can pull the PSU and run it for awhile to see if it operates as normal and doesn't start a fire.

If your wits get the best of you a new PSU is relative peace of mind, but I don't think the PSU is toast if you pull it and it runs normal for a long period of time, heck I'd let it run for an hour if I was that worried about it.

Good luck!

Thanks for the input everybody...I'll try running it for an hour or so and see if there are any problems. I'll also have to consider that this is for my parents...so I don't really want to be responsible for burning down their house, that would not be ideal. I'll see what I can do and if anything looks out of the ordinary then I'll just go out and buy another PSU. Thanks a lot for the help.