Antichrist (2009)

Lenny Nero

Cossack
Premium Supporter
Oct 1, 2013
2.00 star(s) Rating: 2.00/5 1 Votes
Title: Antichrist (2009)

Tagline: When nature turns evil, true terror awaits.

Genre: Drama, Horror, Thriller

Director: Lars von Trier

Cast: Willem Dafoe, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Storm Acheche Sahlstrøm

Release: 2009-05-20

Runtime: 109

Plot: A grieving couple retreats to their cabin 'Eden' in the woods, hoping to repair their broken hearts and troubled marriage. But nature takes its course and things go from bad to worse.

I've avoided some movies and directors for decades, relying on my precise and particular 'taste', but started wondering if I was denying myself something good and interesting... so went to see this in theaters on Lars von Trier's birthday for a 'special one day showing' - well, I can rest easy knowing I was right all along, and this kind of crap doesn't interest me at all. Except maybe last 20 minutes or so, when the crazy wife went full psycho. Otherwise it was extremely boring.
Willem Dafoe played exactly this type of pretentious 'art house' actor/director in Mr. Bean's Holiday, and that's how I feel about these kinds of movies.

Reactions: leelee17
I've avoided some movies and directors for decades, relying on my precise and particular 'taste', but started wondering if I was denying myself something good and interesting... so went to see this in theaters on Lars von Trier's birthday for a 'special one day showing' - well, I can rest easy knowing I was right all along, and this kind of crap doesn't interest me at all. Except maybe last 20 minutes or so, when the crazy wife went full psycho. Otherwise it was extremely boring.
Willem Dafoe played exactly this type of pretentious 'art house' actor/director in Mr. Bean's Holiday, and that's how I feel about these kinds of movies.
Always interesting how people react differently to art. I personally adore the artistry behind this film, while at the same time not wanting to watch it again anytime soon (for obvious reasons I think). When I saw it for the first time it was one of the most powerful cinematic experiences I had ever had. I told this to a friend back then, he watched it, and he just didn't get it at all. It's all subjective. In my book LvT is a genius, which is an over-used word nowadays. But he certainly is one of the most important filmmakers of all time in my opinion. For me, just visually alone, he takes (actually steals) a lot of Tarkovskys imagery and makes them stick better for me personally.

If you want to really say that you got a good look at his artistry, watch Melancholia and then Nymphomaniac (directors cut) in that order. Those 3 movies are sometimes called the "Depression Trilogy", Von Trier takes a lot of motives from Antichrist and Melancholia and weaves them into the third film too, all discussing the idea introduced in Antichrist, that nature is essentially evil or "Satan's church", which I find very fascinating.
But yeah, if you don't like it I can't blame you, there are many filmmakers I could never get into myself, David Cronenberg for example, so it's all just personal taste in the end and if a film speaks to you or not.

didnt know there's a @tommyh84 biopic :naughty:

I Am Laughing GIF by Film Riot

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database